What did you do to your bike today?

I insured my bike today (old policy ends tomorrow). Bike is a 2000 plate Honda CBR600 F4

Last years Policy was ~£140 - 3rd Party Fire and Theft. Licence held for 1 year - 0 No Claims.

This years Policy is £153 - Fully Comp - Licence held just over 2 years and 1 years No claims.

Yeah, they're really good - but when that rear is cooked, I'll be going back to the Road 6 as (imo) it's the best fast road tyre I've ever had

Really? I tried the roads and never got on with them, great tyres but more for all weather riding and commuting. I only tour so I care only for tyres to suit hot and dry conditions. Maybe I'll grab a spare set of PR6's to try out when I next hit up the Alps.

Really? I tried the roads and never got on with them, great tyres but more for all weather riding and commuting. I only tour so I care only for tyres to suit hot and dry conditions. Maybe I'll grab a spare set of PR6's to try out when I next hit up the Alps.
Yeah, though it's a personal preference mind - they were brilliant getting thrashed on a couple of street triples, my S1000R too; listed really well, and the grip on the wet was incredible. Only issue coming from M9RRs was having to recalibrate the brain for the slower feeling steering - as the profile isn't as steep as the Metzelers

Yeah, though it's a personal preference mind - they were brilliant getting thrashed on a couple of street triples, my S1000R too; listed really well, and the grip on the wet was incredible. Only issue coming from M9RRs was having to recalibrate the brain for the slower feeling steering - as the profile isn't as steep as the Metzelers
I just checked my mileage and my previous post was a filthy lie. I've done 5,000 miles on this set (~3.5k in France and Spain trip, rest in Wales). Road 6. I think maybe 500 ish miles left. That's the most I've ever had out of a rear on this KTM 1290 GT.
The M9RR rear got just shy of 3,800 miles and was proper done. It was fun, though the fun profile made my short legs a bit less comfortable at a stop! Roadtec 01 SE got just over, at 4,100 miles, had maybe 500 left but I was mid trip and so swapped it out when I could: And a random T32R I had to get in Croatia lasted about the same.

Annoyingly I wasn't mid-life crisis enough to log this info when I had the K1300S.

Anyway yes I also love these Road 6s. They feel different to the last time I went Michelin, although that was on the K which I was rubbish at riding properly. Annoyingly - given the price - I'll be replacing this rear with the same.

Found a 1987 DT125, fairly original, has been painted. Runs, just

HFBnDY7.jpeg

To add to the Yamaha collection

DWaBgIw.jpeg

Been looking for a project bike to do. Looked at a 97 VFR750 near me, but was put off due to the owner not knowing when the engine last ran. There was a lot of other work to do as well, but I would have picked that up. Not knowing the engine was what put me off. Plus, it was a tad steep for what it was.

Been looking for a project bike to do. Looked at a 97 VFR750 near me, but was put off due to the owner not knowing when the engine last ran. There was a lot of other work to do as well, but I would have picked that up. Not knowing the engine was what put me off. Plus, it was a tad steep for what it was.
I bought a 98 vfr750 for a winter bike but use it all the time my other bikes comes out for bike rallies etc the 750 has done hundred & 14000 miles bless her.
My local dealer had one in so I said how much before it goes through the shop : cost me £700.

Busy week. Did an oil change (no filter this time), ordered a new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT for the rear, went on the Biker Down first aid/scene management course organised by the Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, organised a group ride out for tomorrow, and finally booked a place on the National Rider Risk Awareness course that I have to attend. Well, I don't have to attend, but better that than 3 points and £100 fine.......oopsie.

IliFYWX.jpeg

What did I do today? Had a heart attack, followed by a stroke laughing at what I had read...

Priced up a set of Pirelli Rosso 4s, a little over 300 quid with a local (mobile) tyre fitter - expected to have to pay a bit of a premium for the convenience of having a mobile fitter - they came back with over 430 quid lol

I politely declined, stating the above premium expectation (but not to their level) only to be told it would be about an hours round trip for them.... So assuming the 30 quid is for the sundries of fitment etc (like most places), they're really expecting to charge labour at about 100 quid an hour! Jog on.

After declining again and saying I would look around, I got quite a passive aggressive text back along the lines of "well, you'll be waiting a long time for a garage to do them".

Though I've got a garage just 2 minutes ride from me, they didn't fill me with confidence when I took the rear there for the slow puncture, granted they did seem rushed off their feet - I'm just not sure about handing my wheels over to have some new hoops; not knowing when I'll be getting them back.

Found somewhere in Shaftesbury, looks OK, just need to get a price - then pop the wheels out and drive them up there.

What a bunch of counts.

I've also experienced tyre fitters being like this, I'm lucky because I have a small (ISH) local bike garage that I've been going to for years, and they'll do them, it's not cheap, but not expensive either if you get me.

But for my car, I was using tyres on the drive (which are now Halfords) and to be fair they are generally ok considering they come to your house, but a couple of years ago I used a local tyre fitter that was recommended as the guy knew the guy but what a bloody waste of time.

Aside from the cost and more so space needed to store a tyre balancer it's not difficult, yes I guess on a bike getting the wheels off is a little more involved depending on bike, but if I had space I'd just have my own gear and do myself.

What a bunch of counts.

I've also experienced tyre fitters being like this, I'm lucky because I have a small (ISH) local bike garage that I've been going to for years, and they'll do them, it's not cheap, but not expensive either if you get me.

But for my car, I was using tyres on the drive (which are now Halfords) and to be fair they are generally ok considering they come to your house, but a couple of years ago I used a local tyre fitter that was recommended as the guy knew the guy but what a bloody waste of time.

Aside from the cost and more so space needed to store a tyre balancer it's not difficult, yes I guess on a bike getting the wheels off is a little more involved depending on bike, but if I had space I'd just have my own gear and do myself.
The chap I took the loose wheel to, along with the tyre off Demon Tweaks, reckoned over 400 was a good price; I didn't like to argue as he was sorting my tyre. But he reckons that owing to the likes of Demon Tweaks buying container loads of tyres, he simply cannot compete on price, which I guess is understandable.

Back
Top Bottom