What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
got a phone mount that wireless charges.

going to wire it up at somepoint.

do i just connect straight to the battery terminals?

the wires from the charger already have a fuse and fork spade connectors.

will this then just work with ignition?

*zero mechanical knowledge

bike is a ninja 125

thanks.

Man of Honour
got a phone mount that wireless charges.

going to wire it up at somepoint.

do i just connect straight to the battery terminals?

the wires from the charger already have a fuse and fork spade connectors.

will this then just work with ignition?

*zero mechanical knowledge

bike is a ninja 125

thanks.
If you wire direct it'll work even with the bike off which obviously risks draining the battery. If you want it to turn on and off with the ignition you'll need to tap into a switched live somewhere on the bike and use that instead

Soldato
You can eBay and wire a manual switch onto the circuit, if you cant figure out how to wire it off something switches by the ignition.

I wired my heated handgrips straight on to the battery as they have a switch.

Just don't forget to turn them off!

Associate
Today I've just had my bike running for the first time since November 2023, it's been in one them bike carcoons (the inflatable bubble thing) since then. I had to replace the battery as it was knackered despite being on a battery maintainer (I blame the tracker), which even for a mechanical nutmeg like me was easy. Started straight away and it ran really nice. Will take it out within the next few days weather permitting.

Associate
Fitted the high seat for the ninja today, only adds 3cm but initials thought sat on the drive are my knees are now just under the tank instead of over it and legs are a little less cramped.

Shall see how it feels after a ride tomorrow but I’ve high hopes.

Soldato
If you wire direct it'll work even with the bike off which obviously risks draining the battery. If you want it to turn on and off with the ignition you'll need to tap into a switched live somewhere on the bike and use that instead
the charger has something that presses down when the phone is in position which i think turns the charger on

the instructions say to just to connect to the battery but i thought what you have said

Soldato
Replaced this little bugger! The old one was in two bits and is the reason she overheated in traffic the other day. Fairly easy job, but both side fairings had to come off, and had to drain the system. Coolant was a lovely colour, so no worries there!

kR3xEsM.jpeg

Man of Honour
Decided to fit the new chain and sprocket set I've had sitting in the shed since the start of last year.

Got everything in bits then found out my trusty 32mm sprocket socket that's been fine for the last decades worth of bikes was too small for the triumph... No worries Halfords had a cheap one in stock so off I went to get that.

Rear sprocket all sorted, chain chopped off, rear wheel back in, front sprocket all placed on the shaft... Then I finally unwrapped the chain that's been sat for 14 months. They'd only gone and sent me a 530 pitch when I'd ordered and needed 525 :o.

New chain ordered and a £90 lesson in why you should always check your packages when they arrive!

Now I need to wait for it to arrive, the weather gods to grace me with some dry vaguely warm weather and most importantly my wife to keep the baby amused. Taking all that into account the bike might be up and running around the end of the season :cry:
Never flipping ending saga this is becoming. I've changed at least ten sets on other bikes without issue but I seem to be making my life difficult for this one.

Ordered new chain, arrived the other day, went to fit it today and it's one link too short...I obviously counted wrong when I took the old one off and it should be the same.

Ordered a smaller front sprocket which should fit the chain because it was the much cheaper option, and the bike doesn't see motorways anymore so the loss in top end should be fine.

Yet more time wasted:o

Associate
Never flipping ending saga this is becoming. I've changed at least ten sets on other bikes without issue but I seem to be making my life difficult for this one.

Ordered new chain, arrived the other day, went to fit it today and it's one link too short...I obviously counted wrong when I took the old one off and it should be the same.

Ordered a smaller front sprocket which should fit the chain because it was the much cheaper option, and the bike doesn't see motorways anymore so the loss in top end should be fine.

Yet more time wasted:o
Ack! After years of shaft drive I'm changing my first chain and sprockets on the 1290GT in the next few days. Parts arrived today.

It's easy, right? (with the right parts I mean :p)

Man of Honour
Ack! After years of shaft drive I'm changing my first chain and sprockets on the 1290GT in the next few days. Parts arrived today.

It's easy, right? (with the right parts I mean :p)
So easy it's why this messing about has peed me off so much :cry:

I've literally never had an issue before apart from one time where I flattened the rivet out on the link too much and I wasn't happy with it so replaced the master link.

Soldato
Replaced this little bugger! The old one was in two bits and is the reason she overheated in traffic the other day. Fairly easy job, but both side fairings had to come off, and had to drain the system. Coolant was a lovely colour, so no worries there!

kR3xEsM.jpeg

Couldn't you of changed that without draining the system, By unscrewing the old one and then quickly screwing the new one in

Fair enough draining the whole system is a much cleaner way due to less chance of spilling the anti-freeze

Last edited:
Soldato
Couldn't you of changed that without draining the system, By unscrewing the old one and then quickly screwing the new one in

Fair enough draining the whole system is a much cleaner way due to less chance of spilling the anti-freeze

Yar, I thought about it, but the service manual recommends the use of a non drying sealant on the threads, and of course the threads have to be dry to do that. Also gave me a chance to inspect the fluid for contamination.

Back
Top Bottom