• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

And that's normal. Just like a 3080 will have problems running full power raster in newer games compared to those in its time. Again, totally normal.
Normal is slower FPS in raster as it ages.

Slower raster, however is not equal to RT off in some instances.

Off is ethier built in obsolescence or the hardware was never capable to last in the first place-which is the OG comment I made.

You insist on obfuscucating my salient point to come up with excuses that are irrelevant to what I said in the first place in regards to NV ramping up the RT cost.

Don't agree fine, that's your perogative but it would help if you counter with relevance instead of using unrelated comparisons .*thumbsup

Last edited:
Normal is slower FPS in raster as it ages.

Slower raster, however is not equal to RT off in some instances.

Off is ethier built in obsolescence or the hardware was never capable to last in the first place-which is the OG comment I made.

You insist on obfuscucating my salient point to come up with excuses that are irrelevant to what I said in the first place in regards to NV ramping up the RT cost.

Don't agree fine, that's your perogative but it would help if you counter with relevance instead of using unrelated comparisons .*thumbsup
I did ask you what is overdone RT and you didn't quite cleared that up.

What does it mean "slower raster but not equal to rt off in some instances"?

You mean turning off RT makes some crappy reflections and shadows instead of making the best it can with raster?

I did ask you what is overdone RT and you didn't quite cleared that up.

What does it mean "slower raster but not equal to rt off in some instances"?

You mean turning off RT makes some crappy reflections and shadows instead of making the best it can with raster?
Nope didn't mean anything you've Implied I've said here or previous posts that you continually add context to, therefore I'll do us both a favour and put you on ignore for a while so that nobody breaks the rules.*thumbsup

Last edited:
Ray tracing really is starting to become increasingly more feasible from what I have recently been seeing, in Unreal Engine for e.g., especially as AI based upscaling is also becoming very effective at providing acceptable image quality even when using its least resource intensive form.

The below is using Ultra Performance DLSS at 4K, so allows for an average of 60 FPS or above on a previous generation mid-range graphics card, and not only manages to retain reasonable image clarity, but even adds further quality in the form of Ray Reconstruction.

Last edited:
Ray tracing really is starting to become increasingly more feasible from what I have recently been seeing, in Unreal Engine for e.g., especially as AI based upscaling is also becoming very effective at providing acceptable image quality even when using its least resource intensive form.

The below is using Ultra Performance DLSS at 4K, so allows for an average of 60 FPS or above on a previous generation mid-range graphics card, and not only manages to retain reasonable image clarity, but even adds further quality in the form of Ray Reconstruction.

Yup as shown with @mrk testing/evidence and other reputable sources evidence such as DF, dlss has come a long way with the performance and even ultra performance presets :cool:

It helps that devs/game engine makers are also able to get RT running more efficiently too:

Yep, kind a crazy Really. As that equels 720P. Really amazing what the best team in the World manages to do. Alien technology ;)

Last edited:
really shows that nvidia was far too ahead of its peers in their ability to foresee big functional changes in GPU design, its going to be very difficult to benchmark GPUs from different vendors, just getting too diffuse

Yup, people laughed (including myself) at the **** show of turing with pitiful RT and DLSS 1 but given the competitions features now, it looks like it will be nvidia who will be doing the laughing now. People can give them **** for their dodgy marketing etc. strategies but you can't fault them and their tech. One of the most underrated features is their DLDSR tech too, it is surprising just how good it is especially when used in combination with dlss.

I tink the right is path traced but ray reconstruction must be off because the texture quality on littler and stuff is lower than the left (raster) one - The glass windows gives away the PT reflections on glass. If RR wa son the litter would be better detailed!

I misread this stupidly (It's in the path tracing thread!) as simply one being upscaled, one not - Missed the path tracing element altogether. To be clear, I agree with @mrk - I think the right is the path traced (and therefore upscaled) one. The red light in the top right looks more correct to me.

I tink the right is path traced but ray reconstruction must be off because the texture quality on littler and stuff is lower than the left (raster) one - The glass windows gives away the PT reflections on glass. If RR wa son the litter would be better detailed!
It is the right, indeed, but I don't think it was off and I can't see it without zooming into it too much. Some loss is to be expected since the DLSS uses a ratio of something like 0,4...something, I think (if it wasn't overwritten by a patch since last I've changed it).

Anyway, I'll take the 2nd picture any day of the week. First one looks like shadows and lighting complexity is set to low or off. :P

In the same folder as the game's main exe. if DLSStweaks placement has worked then after launching the game a dlsstweaks logfile is generated in that same folder. No log file = Something was not done right.

Seen your post on nvidia reddit @mrk Finally people seem to be realising/admitting that frame gen and upscaling with path tracing is the way to go over "native" raster.

Post sums it up well:

I've never quite understood why "native" is a hill people want to die on, as if the native resolution of any given monitor is the pinnacle of IQ they can hope to achieve. It's like these people have never heard of traditional supersampling, because that has been giving undeniably better antialiasing and better fine detail than native res (with any kind of AA or even no AA for 'puriusts') for years. Native merely serves as one reference point along a spectrum of possible image quality on a given monitor/setup. I just find it such an odd sort of ultimate goal to aspire to when we have so many compelling techniques in 2024 that improve the image in other ways (including fine detail and AA), like DLSS, Ray/Path Tracing, Ray Reconstruction, (DL)DSR etc.
Even if there is a trade off in a small amount of image softness, I'd rather play a new AAA game that looks truly stunning and "next generation" a tiny bit softer than play with yesteryears graphics but pin sharp.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom