• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

You're forgetting that whether someone prefers RT or not, they simply have zero choice. UE5 games currently releasing all use RT via Lumen, whether software or hardware doesn't matter, RT is on by default and you cannot turn it off.

Also, fact of the matter is that gamers need to rewire their brains and forget the past, some folks cannot let things go.
We know Lumens powering UE games mate, but it's not impacting performance much at all, it's welcome to kick about and get better.

Avatar is stunning on highest textures available with RT'ing set to lowest, and highly tuned settings, it's an extremely tough game to run on Snowdrop.

However the 4070 couldn't get near that visual quality on lower

What you need to let go and absorb is I/others would rather turn it off/lowest available settings and use our GPUs to power through games the way we want to.

Does not equate to RT is rubbish.

It's never been about RT is rubbish(generally, as some of it has been), it's about not worth it for the FPS impact it incurrs.

Watch DF's latest video from 1:59:04 onwards for a professional insight into the whole scene related to RT, upscaling.

RT was the future back in 2020, it is now the future we are living, and from here onwards more advanced RT is the current trend which is where dedicated and efficient RT hardware comes into its own, so AMD/Intel best get their catchup shoes on as it's not going to slack.
Don't disagree with you there.

However, as you've even pointed out yourself in SWO RTX, was thrown in very late in the stage and it shows, that isn't the future, that's in this case Nv getting a leg up.

Point being, while RT IS here to stay(again no issue with RT), I think it's years away from being mainstream until AMD can power it effectively on console, unless someone else takes over console hardware.

It seems a weird narrative though doesn’t it?
  • Saying you prefer RT off to keep the FPS = You hate RT
  • Saying RT is not in the majority of games = You are claiming RT is not the future
  • Saying it could take a decade before it’s mainstream = you said it will take a decade before it’s in “more games”.
  • Saying FSR is good enough unless you pixel peep = You said FSR is as good as DLSS
It’s the straw man nonsense that gets tiresome.

Last edited:
Blood hell man. You love to whine a lot don't you? :cry:

You are no better ffs.

Only recently Jedi posted:

This is going to be RX480 level of hype...

That was in relation to RDNA4.

You chose to bang on and on and onnnnn about it saying that there was no hype yada yada, when clearly he said there is going to be, i.e. in the future. But you kept banging on.

There is healthy banter that is fun. Then there is the whiney rubbish you are coming out with...

The consoles already do RT well enough as far as consoles can go but also remember consoles are using DRS and rendering at lower resolutions than on PC where upscaling and DRS are highly tunable as evidenced by various games using RT/other tech, even UE5 titles. It's the advanced stuff like Ray Reconstruction and ReSTIR GI which consoles will never do, at least with current next gen consoles anyway) until they change GPU architecture that supports similar tech, so for now only the PC with an RTX card is capable of clean RT with more detail by using ray reconstruction, ReSTIR GI and so on.

And no FSR isn't as good "until you pixel peep", it's not as good without pixel peeping. All those emissive light source shimmers FSR has or foliage fizzling just walking around a scene is blindingly obvious even in raster games like Horizon Forbidden West. The issue is that FSR doesn't support dragging and dropping the latest FSR version to correct some of these issues like you can with both XeSS and DLSS. It might be open source tech but FSR doesn't allow you to better FSR by simply updating to the latest version like you can with upscalers from Nvdiia and Intel.

Last edited:
I haven’t had the pleasure of trying RT. The fastest red card I had was a 6950XT and the fastest green was a 3060. I’m rocking a 1080Ti that I picked up in the MM last week so no RT for me. Will probably upgrade this generation and go full RT :D

I've been enjoying most games with RT enabled. Started The Callisto Protocol yesterday after getting it free on epic this week. Not the best game but it looks incredible. 1080p max settings it's sitting at 70-96fps.

Back
Top Bottom