• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

To be honest, I spent about £100 on a dedicated sound card (that didn't utilise on board sound) and can honestly say I couldn't perceive any noticeable difference, so much so , I sold it and went back to on board which tbh is perfectly acceptable.

I'm a PC user, not an audiophile admittedly, but still....
Some people have a certain ability to hear sounds better than other people. That's where the audiophile term comes from. I consider myself an audiophile. It is what it is.

Some people have a certain ability to hear sounds better than other people. That's where the audiophile term comes from. I consider myself an audiophile. It is what it is.
True and that said, I can certainly discern the difference between say a Lynn Sondek turntable and a high end CD player but, in so far as playing PC games, I found a sound card a waste of a Pci lane.

From my experience, it's the amp stage that makes the biggest difference, especially high resistance headphones, eg Sennheiser hd600 at 300ohm sound better on a dedicated amp vs motherboard. However, on the other end, easy to drive headphones probably won't benefit. Eg ie800s iems will show its full capability on just about anything. I'd guess most gamers use easy to drive hp and probably wouldn't benefit much from a more powerful amp. I do however much prefer hardware bass boost over software, so an amp with a good bass boost is my choice.

Good headphones are needed as well, cheaper ones will sound bad now matter what you plug them in to. Which is also why many won't hear a difference.

Last edited:
A lot of the studios need good HDR monitors for grading first. This is the biggest issue. It's getting better. I know a few US based calibrators hired out by gaming studios to recommend and calibrate their monitors for HDR but it's not the norm. Making progress though. It's a major issue for me and disheartening to see poor or no hdr implementations.

Thankfully RTX HDR works much better than windows autohdr and even some of the poor native implementations out there. It's still bandaid and not a fix though.

The only thing that seems to do HDR correctly for PC gaming is the Steam Deck OLED.. Would you believe ... Windows and Microsoft.... :rolleyes:

Even TLOU and horizon arguably look dated as **** because of rasters shortfalls, yes they look great but only in certain scenarios, more so for the TLOU but then it is incredibly linear so every part has been handcrafted to look great, horizon forbiddenw west falls apart often as shown in our videos and that's because of it being open world so more room for error, had it had RT, the game wouldn't have looked as janky. As DF said, you can pick frames where raster will look great but then move angle or to elsewhere and you can see that same scene which looked great, fall apart.
I'll still be more impressed by raster games that allows you to kill all light sources within the game world, make darkness... dark. Cyberpunk fails terribly at that.

VMCs0k7.png

Techpowerup has a new poll out.

Raster still holding very, very strong on the main selling point for purchasing a next gen gpu.

However RT performance is now in a commanding 2nd place position followed closely by pricing, energy efficiency takes 4th spot with vram favoured over upscaling which is last on anyones requirements for next gen gpus.

Last edited:
VMCs0k7.png

Raster still holding very, very strong on the main selling point for purchasing a next gen gpu.

However RT performance is now in a commanding 2nd place position followed closely by pricing, energy efficiency takes 4th spot with vram favoured over upscaling which is last on anyones requirements for next gen gpus.
Considering that in a growing number of games, RT is the main gfx setting that most people can't max out and really tanks performance, it's not surprising it has high support. Upscaling and FG are closely connected to RT and are needed to raise fps especially in RT games. I suspect its percentage is so low is because the people voted once, and chose RT. They probably wanted to click both RT and Upscaling/FG.

Last edited:
They probably wanted to click both RT and Upscaling/FG.
Perhaps, perhaps not, software RT'ing is here(and not getting pushback like hardware RT'ing did/is) but more so it is not reliant on upscaling to run.

One could also surmise that vrams considered way more a necessity than upscaling if you wanted to click both raster and vram.

But, at the end of the day the poll is called What Matters Most To You...

Which makes raster is still the main reason to upgrade with upscaling the least reason to upgrade.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
VMCs0k7.png

Interesting to see that almost no one cares about Upscaling and yet reviewers treat it like added value for Nvidia...

Last edited:
Perhaps, perhaps not, software RT'ing is here(and not getting pushback like hardware RT'ing did/is) but more so it is not reliant on upscaling to run.

One could also surmise that vrams considered way more a necessity than upscaling if you wanted to click both raster and vram.

But, at the end of the day the poll is called What Matters Most To You...

Which makes raster is still the main reason to upgrade with upscaling the least reason to upgrade.:thumbsup:
My overall point is that this type of question and 1 answer survey is very flawed.

RT is unsurprisingly a very distant 3rd in that poll after raster and power efficiency. Like most I like RT but it’s a nice to have rather than a must have. Though realistically putting it third doesn’t mean it’s not important at all of course.

For me in order of importance for my GPU consideration. Like most there a lot of factors that determine choice. Unfortunately I ignored point 1 when I purchased a used 4080 which was massively overpriced for what you get. Great GPU at a joke price.

1. Price
2. Raster
3. Cooling and noise
4. Efficiency
5. VRAM
6. RT
7. Upscaling

Last edited:
RT is unsurprisingly a very distant 3rd in that poll after raster and power efficiency.
I see RT as 2nd not 3rd in that poll. Power efficiency had a lower vote than RT.

Edit, didn't realise there was a live number. I find it surprising that power efficiency is almost as important as performance. My gut says this is an example of a flawed question and 1 answer format.

Last edited:
another big flaw is target market definition, you dont go about asking gamers about the perceived utility of instancing feature in a GPU that question is typically aimed at developers
a utility isnt just consumed by the end consumer, its a very bad assumption for a survey about graphics card features

I see RT as 2nd not 3rd in that poll. Power efficiency had a lower vote than RT.
he's probably talking about the live results.

need to remember that the majority of people voting for power efficiency are miners. the average gamer does not hold efficiency above all else

he's probably talking about the live results.

need to remember that the majority of people voting for power efficiency are miners. the average gamer does not hold efficiency above all else

You can’t arbitrarily decide one set of votes don’t count just because it doesn’t fit your specific needs. The poll was about GPU buyers and for many power efficiency can be important. Where did you get the stat that the majority of people wanting efficiency are miners? Or is it per chance made up?

Last edited:
You can’t arbitrarily decide one set of votes don’t count just because it doesn’t fit your specific needs. The poll was about GPU buyers and for many power efficiency can be important. Where did you get the stat that the majority of people wanting efficiency are miners? Or is it per chance made up?

You are 6k posts deep in this forum and you actually believe that efficiency is on par with the top other trait for gaming performance?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
You are 6k posts deep in this forum and you actually believe that efficiency is on par with the top other trait for gaming performance?

Why is it hard to understand I am saying that other people have different priorities. You or I don’t get to decide what someone else votes on a survey, we just get to look at the results.

Are you going to provide your sources for why you think people who voted for efficiency are mostly miners and that most gamers don’t care for efficiency?

Last edited:
Why is it hard to understand I am saying that other people have different priorities. You or I don’t get to decide what someone else votes on a survey, we just get to look at the results.

Are you going to provide your sources for why you think people who voted for efficiency are mostly miners and that most gamers don’t care for efficiency?

What a bizarre first line. On the contrary, "Why is it hard" for you to communicate like a civil human being and not react like every word that contradicts you, directly or indirectly, is an existential attack on you? It's an absolute displeasure reading your toxic tone in every post, then later to see you u-turn and claim you were always aligned with the topic despite mocking it, and claiming everyone else just doesn't understand where you're coming from. You are not that deep.

Again, do you really believe efficiency is such a priority for gamers? Use logic. I suspect you know better and just cling on to the the numbers since it's an extra point score for you in the context of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom