• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Sound is so important. Been fighting for ages to get surround working and working well on my system, and its just things like rainfall - Hearing it around you as part of a game is fantastic.

The difficulty is in the amount of people that have surround systems probably doesn't make it efficient to budget for, which is a real shame. Don't use headphones, so can't really speak on how well they can handle immersive sound, but I can't see how you beat physical speakers located around you. This is a much bigger deal to me than ray tracing or other graphical upgrades.
Try some good binaural audio samples, they require some effort in placing speakers but the results are pretty good, headphones are even better.

Sound is so important. Been fighting for ages to get surround working and working well on my system, and its just things like rainfall - Hearing it around you as part of a game is fantastic.

The difficulty is in the amount of people that have surround systems probably doesn't make it efficient to budget for, which is a real shame. Don't use headphones, so can't really speak on how well they can handle immersive sound, but I can't see how you beat physical speakers located around you. This is a much bigger deal to me than ray tracing or other graphical upgrades.
Yeah sound is extremely important imo. Back in the PS2 era,I would always make an effort to at least hook up a stereo hifi for better sound immersion.

What really gets me is that HDR is still a dogs' dinner. Well implemented HDR on a decent screen is a huge visual upgrade, and it's more or less free from a performance perspective.

A lot of the studios need good HDR monitors for grading first. This is the biggest issue. It's getting better. I know a few US based calibrators hired out by gaming studios to recommend and calibrate their monitors for HDR but it's not the norm. Making progress though. It's a major issue for me and disheartening to see poor or no hdr implementations.

Thankfully RTX HDR works much better than windows autohdr and even some of the poor native implementations out there. It's still bandaid and not a fix though.

A lot of the studios need good HDR monitors for grading first. This is the biggest issue. It's getting better. I know a few US based calibrators hired out by gaming studios to recommend and calibrate their monitors for HDR but it's not the norm. Making progress though. It's a major issue for me and disheartening to see poor or no hdr implementations.

Thankfully RTX HDR works much better than windows autohdr and even some of the poor native implementations out there. It's still bandaid and not a fix though.

Yeah I'm definitely sold on RTX HDR. I get the feeling HDR is slapped on blindfolded with a lot of games (RDR2 in particular).

This article looks pretty relevant to the thread BTW:

I always find these articles and posts that claim upscaling causes the game to look blurry with no evidence or anything to back up their comments pointless..... meanwhile, HUB, TPU, DF, gamer nexus, pcgameshardware, computerbase who do provide evidence can and more often show where upscaling (more so dlss) can often provide the better IQ than native, of course, there will always be certain scenarios where native even with taa will look better than upscaling but based on my own experience and comparisons as well as even the articles from the likes of TPU, more often than not, upscaling, dlss is often regarded as being better.

The article should really reference "TAA" as a whole as that is what has caused the more smeary look and whilst you can turn this off to get "crisp" image, you then get severe aliasing, jaggies and temporal motion stability issues and then we have the other problem, most games don't allow you to turn off TAA therefore likes of dlss, xess, TSR and sometimes FSR can provide a better than native TAA image. Upscaling/TAA definetly does work best at higher resolutions though, no doubt about that, having 4k 32" and a 3440x1440 34" monitor, 4k dlss performance > native 1440p every day of the week in most modern/new games.

Frame generation wise, can't say I have seen any issues really but as usual, to get the best results, you do need a base fps of 55-60.

I think the thing this article is missing is the fact that you can have much better visuals "overall" whilst still retaining good "performance" i.e. real time RT/PT would simply not be possible without such technologies.

Yeah I'm definitely sold on RTX HDR. I get the feeling HDR is slapped on blindfolded with a lot of games (RDR2 in particular).

Yup, RTX HDR is my must have nvidia feature now, more so than even DLSS now, again, sad state of affairs games releasing in 2024 without hdr support but alas, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Most people are just using onboard sound and don't know how poor quality it is, because they have never had a proper soundcard/DAC and only experienced some crappy Realtek thing (which is just software emulation).

They'll spent 4 figures on a GPU and nothing on sound. Which is how we got to this point :/

Last edited:
Most people are just using onboard sound and don't know how poor quality it is, because they have never had a proper soundcard/DAC and only experienced some crappy Realtek thing (which is usually just software emulation).

They'll spent 4 figures on a GPU and nothing on sound. Which is how we got to this point :/
What sound card would you recommend?

What sound card would you recommend?

I was using a Xonar STX (mostly a headphone card) until recently, not made anymore but still good. Now using a Sennheiser DAC as its more convenient. Something with a proper headphone amp basically but not some Chinese tat, sounds far better.

Last edited:
I was using a Xonar STX (mostly a headphone card) until recently, not made anymore but still good. Now using a Sennheiser DAC as its more convenient. Something with a proper headphone amp basically but not some Chinese tat, sounds far better.
But the sound still comes from onboard chioset and gets passed through that?

A poll where people chose vram, raster, power efficiency as their main options 2 years ago yet most of them people still went with nvidia :cry: A lot has changed now and I'm sure come the recreation of the poll/thread for when the next gpus are out will have results looking quite different as since bumping the thread, certain things have gone down a bit and others gone up i.e. feature set, vram and rt went up and raster and power efficiency went down.

But alas as stated so many times, it doesn't matter what the gamers want, there is no going back now and devs are embracing the RT workflow more and more as evidenced.

Are you just ignoring developers statements then? Thney have clearly stated and shown their workflow time comparisons to show why RT is better for them and also will benefit gamers in the end too....

A good video to watch to understand RT more:

Majorty of gamers/gpus now support RT too btw, it's time to move on and leave dated tech in the background, well not like people will have the choice anyway, even consoles are going down this path, I suppose people can just play old games to send a message..... Also, GPUs regardless of RT will also be overpriced, wouldn't make a difference if there was no RT.
Good video, it glosses over the bit about moving the camera, this means the rays need to be re-calculated which is not trivial(more so at high frame rates). It also does not include the Monte Carlo method which aggregates frames to a buffer to reduce the number of per-pixel rays. Gaming hardware will not be able to do fully RT games for a long time. Its good that RT hardware is included and getting better but its not going to be very useful for 80% of users for some time.

Last edited:
Honestly think people are a bit disingenuous with RTX. We all know its looks way better, the real question isnt if we care, its if we accept the performance hit surely?

Does anyone actually think RTX looks worse? Different argument with DLSS or FSR, and Id rather just stick to raster, given the hit but I am old, but we all know that will change as they have both invested so much in those upscaling/framegen technologies they will persist for the time being.

Games that have no RT obviously look fine/great in raster (TLoU, Horizons etc) but those with RT objectively look better than raster. Just see my post earlier as a direct comparison. When you then factor in path tracing,m and ray reconstruction added into the mix, the difference is literally night and day where raster looks old gen.

Games that have no RT obviously look fine/great in raster (TLoU, Horizons etc) but those with RT objectively look better than raster. Just see my post earlier as a direct comparison. When you then factor in path tracing,m and ray reconstruction added into the mix, the difference is literally night and day where raster looks old gen.

Even TLOU and horizon arguably look dated as **** because of rasters shortfalls, yes they look great but only in certain scenarios, more so for the TLOU but then it is incredibly linear so every part has been handcrafted to look great, horizon forbiddenw west falls apart often as shown in our videos and that's because of it being open world so more room for error, had it had RT, the game wouldn't have looked as janky. As DF said, you can pick frames where raster will look great but then move angle or to elsewhere and you can see that same scene which looked great, fall apart.

Most people are just using onboard sound and don't know how poor quality it is, because they have never had a proper soundcard/DAC and only experienced some crappy Realtek thing (which is just software emulation).

I think a good example of the importance of sound is the Resident Evil Remake (first one) The soundtrack and the ambience really shines on that game

I'm rocking a creative sblive card i've had for years now, every time I upgrade the onboard audio just sounds absolutely flat, even in comparison to a cheap sound card.

To be honest, I spent about £100 on a dedicated sound card (that didn't utilise on board sound) and can honestly say I couldn't perceive any noticeable difference, so much so , I sold it and went back to on board which tbh is perfectly acceptable.

I'm a PC user, not an audiophile admittedly, but still....

Frame generation wise, can't say I have seen any issues really but as usual, to get the best results, you do need a base fps of 55-60.

I am not a frame generation fan - it is of little benefit, sometimes a negative, in situations where you need more frames the most and only is somewhat convincing when you've a high framerate in the first place. In some games 30-40 FPS with FG on despite displaying 60 FPS results in judder and visual artefacts and in most games often feels more like 25 FPS than 30+. TDU Solar Crown and Black Myth if you are rendering ~70 FPS FG boosts it up to 100-120 somewhat convincingly but still some visual artefacts at times.

I'm rocking a creative sblive card i've had for years now, every time I upgrade the onboard audio just sounds absolutely flat, even in comparison to a cheap sound card.

Yep especially for music and if you are using high quality headphones, on-board won't be good enough to drive them so you won't get much depth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom