• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

It does seem to flip-flop. Last generation AMD was ahead and nobody seemed to care - the moment the RTX4000 was ahead,suddenly it was important.

In my case I have a SFF PC,so power draw does matter to some degree,but performance is still the more important metric.
Didn't things like the Cyberpunk enhanced Path tracing only come out last year. Last generation I didn't need a new GPU when the RTX4000 came out I needed a new GPU. I didn't care for AMD last generation as I didn't need it at that point.

Didn't things like the Cyberpunk enhanced Path tracing only come out last year. Last generation I didn't need a new GPU when the RTX4000 came out I needed a new GPU. I didn't care for AMD last generation as I didn't need it at that point.

This about power draw. Many of the RX6000 series dGPUs like the RX6600/RX6800 were very efficient and nobody seemed to care. Yet people on social media(including some reviewers) were harping on how efficient the "RTX4060" and "RTX4070" were,despite the poor generational improvements.

Also,don't really care about this generation as the sub £500 stack was just a generally mediocre improvement in many areas,because of the rebranding. Prices are finally getting closer to what they should have been at launch,but I might as well wait for something newer.

Last edited:
I seem to remember a very similar argument happening about gamers not caring about efficiency and someone raised the concern of heat and the issues with trying to game in a room with your GPU dumping a lot of heat into the room.

So it’s not just the electricity bill.

I am sure there are people who make efficiency the pinnacle of their GPU purchasing decisions over any of the other metrics, but they're edge cases*, not 50% of a poll.

*and weirdos :P

whZfPO3.png

8ANlihU.png

Ht4bW0k.png

Energy efficiency is just another way of saying more performance(RT/Raster) for the same or less power, because its unlikely someone is upgrading to a new GPU that performs the same as their current one.
So, if you vote for energy efficiency, it could just mean you want a better GPU but without needing to upgrade your rig due to higher power requirements.

If you voted for RT, it doesn't mean you want a GPU that uses 1kW under load, is terrible at raster , costs £10K and has 2MB of VRAM.

Almost a 100fps difference though :eek:

Part of the problem when you've got both older raster and some degree of ray tracing running, "purely" path traced it would likely be quite a bit more than 60-70 FPS still.

Last edited:
That can be tested incurrent path traced games, the difference is about 60fps, so Outlaws with RTXDI is actually considerably more demanding than actual path tracing which is quite funny in itself.

Remember there is no raster option for Outlaws, it's all RT, either low or max, RTXDI is just enhanced RT.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm actually enjoying the exploration even if much of the mechanics are a bit pants. Unlike Starfield that got really boring and repetitive, this at least is keeping things varied with some Star Wars lore to experience in the process in the planets etc.

I'm actually enjoying the exploration even if much of the mechanics are a bit pants. Unlike Starfield that got really boring and repetitive, this at least is keeping things varied with some Star Wars lore to experience in the process in the planets etc.

With Starfield I managed to enjoy for 80 hours. This I can't see me playing anytime soon if ever. Partly because it is an ubisoft game tbf.

And soon I will be enjoying the Starfield dlc which I have already as fot the premium version of the game when it came out for £40.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl is out in November - won't have RT at launch apparently but hopeful it is good,considering how atmospheric the previous games were.

And soon I will be enjoying the Starfield dlc which I have already as fot the premium version of the game when it came out for £40.

Forgot about the DLC! Might get back into it. Having too much fun with Fallout:London - BTW,a new patch is out soon,you should give it a try.

Last edited:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl is out in November - won't have RT at launch apparently but hopeful it is good,considering how atmospheric the previous games were.

Forgot about the DLC! Might get back into it. Having too much fun with Fallout:London - BTW,a new patch is out soon,you should give it a try.

Yeah. Saw the news about the Fallout London patch. Sounds promising. But I just have too many games get through right now before I get to that. Gives it more time to get another patch or two :D

Great to hear you are enjoying it and beta testing it for me though :p

I have STALKER 2 on preorder already for £25. Will be playing that one on release.

Yeah. Saw the news about the Fallout London patch. Sounds promising. But I just have too many games get through right now before I get to that. Gives it more time to get another patch or two :D

Great to hear you are enjoying it and beta testing it for me though :p

I have STALKER 2 on preorder already for £25. Will be playing that one on release.

It does crash a bit - but the effort they made is enormous. I can recognised the areas on the map as I walked through them myself.

Stalker 2 is UE5 so will have software RT via Lumen so all is not lost, and the trailers they have shown so far show super clean visuals without the typical Lumen artefacts so they seem to have gone the extra mile with cleaning up Lumen noise and everything on PC.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom