• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

I got really excited with physX, had an original Ageia PhysX only card. Ghost recon with the over exaggerated trees in the wind, Batman and a few others. Unfortunately, it never really went in the direction I imagined. nVidia bought them, got it running on the cuda cores but then stagnated for whatever reason. Games are beautiful today, but physics hadn't really progressed.

I like graphics getting better as much as the next man/woman/person, but the lack of advancement in AI and physics is disappointing, to say the least.

I got really excited with physX, had an original Ageia PhysX only card. Ghost recon with the over exaggerated trees in the wind, Batman and a few others. Unfortunately, it never really went in the direction I imagined. nVidia bought them, got it running on the cuda cores but then stagnated for whatever reason. Games are beautiful today, but physics hadn't really progressed.
Yeah I remember Nvidia bought them and it just died out. I remember the hack for dual AMD and Nvidia cards to get it working. I never did get the chance to try it.

I like graphics getting better as much as the next man/woman/person, but the lack of advancement in AI and physics is disappointing, to say the least.

The lack of doing anything interesting with the AI in so many games I find disappointing - you don't even need actual AI to make them move around and engage the player in more interesting ways - albeit there are some design considerations as mid_gen, etc. have pointed out in the past.

I've had a blast with my own modified monsters in Quake 2 despite them still being pretty ropey - just making them move around a bit more and attack in more interesting ways, etc.

The lack of doing anything interesting with the AI in so many games I find disappointing - you don't even need actual AI to make them move around and engage the player in more interesting ways - albeit there are some design considerations as mid_gen, etc. have pointed out in the past.

I've had a blast with my own modified monsters in Quake 2 despite them still being pretty ropey - just making them move around a bit more and attack in more interesting ways, etc.
The main culprit is the player who'll find excuses constantly for their favourite game.

With that said, Euphoria is probably the best for now when it comes to animation and character reaction to stimuli.

Imagen a Grand Theft Auto like game with fully enabled realistic physics on EVERYTHING and a half decent AI to give some interesting NPC interactions. I can just see myself drooling like a basement dweller as I plow into buildings and listening to the NPC responding somewhat realistically. The best sessions I've ever had has been messing about in games that allowed me to.

Sometime in the future, who knows when, people will look back at the dumb-as-rocks AI in games like Star Wars Outlaws, and be laughing their socks off at how we stood for it.

Hope I'll be alive to see it.
How much time into the future? I don't know if much has changed even before 2010.

Imagen a Grand Theft Auto like game with fully enabled realistic physics on EVERYTHING and a half decent AI to give some interesting NPC interactions. I can just see myself drooling like a basement dweller as I plow into buildings and listening to the NPC responding somewhat realistically. The best sessions I've ever had has been messing about in games that allowed me to.
Red Faction Guerrilla ;)

This reminds me of Just Cause 2 (X360) Such a fun game. Flying across the map in a fighter jet without a care in the world was awesome.

Sound hasn't either really. It started to get more advanced at one point in the early 00s and MS were supposed to add in a bunch of things to directx, like sound being affected by terrain, walls, etc but it never happened. So nothing improved.

Last edited:
Sound hasn't either really. It started to get more advanced at one point in the early 00s and MS were supposed to add in a bunch of things to directx, like sound being affected by terrain, walls, etc but it never happened. So nothing improved.
Binaural audio failed to be used effectively in games, yet in the very few titles that actually use it it's pure awesomeness

This reminds me of Just Cause 2 (X360) Such a fun game. Flying across the map in a fighter jet without a care in the world was awesome.
It's available on GOG for cheap, still extremely fun.

Sound is so important. Been fighting for ages to get surround working and working well on my system, and its just things like rainfall - Hearing it around you as part of a game is fantastic.

The difficulty is in the amount of people that have surround systems probably doesn't make it efficient to budget for, which is a real shame. Don't use headphones, so can't really speak on how well they can handle immersive sound, but I can't see how you beat physical speakers located around you. This is a much bigger deal to me than ray tracing or other graphical upgrades.

Sound is so important. Been fighting for ages to get surround working and working well on my system, and its just things like rainfall - Hearing it around you as part of a game is fantastic.

The difficulty is in the amount of people that have surround systems probably doesn't make it efficient to budget for, which is a real shame. Don't use headphones, so can't really speak on how well they can handle immersive sound, but I can't see how you beat physical speakers located around you. This is a much bigger deal to me than ray tracing or other graphical upgrades.
Some of the open back headphones you can pick up - as well as a good amp/dac combo - really does make sound and audio immersion next level.

I don't have anything too fancy, Tyger300R open back headphones plugged into an Audient Evo 4 Interface and even that is enough to have that incredible feel of sound being all around you.

Back
Top Bottom