• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Can't agree with the praise for PT in AW2; I thought he was joking at first, besides RT reflections the other changes are actually still very limited (which the devs talked about so it's no secret). I'm also mixed on it in ME:EE since it shifts the tone in multiple scenes for the worse imo (vs RT ultra), not to mention the disgusting & obvious temporal accumulation without which the mode could not exist (see gif), but not gonna relitigate that. Also would have to severely disagree with his assessment for several titles or for effects overall, particularly things like RTAO - once you notice the glowy nature of lighting in games without a very robust GI system (even raster), you'll pray to the gods for even a meagre RTAO implementation to give you at least some grounding for objects in the world. A recent release (on PC) which is otherwise quite good looking but suffers harshly from a lack of GI is Ghost of Tsushima.

Overall the number of worthwhile titles for RT is still quite low but I would say that sometimes all it takes is one to make it worthwhile. For me Cyberpunk 2077 alone would be enough to drive a decision for a card with better RT (plus my playtime in that one is probably greater than all the other RT titles combined). But tbh there's plenty of other titles I greatly enjoy RT in and still play from time to time, like WD:L, Metro Exodus, Riftbreaker, TW3, The Ascent, and others that I play more rarely and which are somewhat controversial vis-a-vis their RT (f.ex. Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

Plus, a lot of the less noticeable RT implementations he talks about can be tweaked (ini or unlockers) to be actually very noticeable. One obvious example that comes to mind is Doom Eternal, where the roughness cut-off is quite sharp but once you unlock it it actually becomes waaay more obvious in general (and correspondingly murders the performance); or one I don't really play - Hogwarts Legacy (but UE titles more generally due to their openness).

gclpy6X.gif

Can't agree with the praise for PT in AW2; I thought he was joking at first, besides RT reflections the other changes are actually still very limited (which the devs talked about so it's no secret). I'm also mixed on it in ME:EE since it shifts the tone in multiple scenes for the worse imo (vs RT ultra), not to mention the disgusting & obvious temporal accumulation without which the mode could not exist (see gif), but not gonna relitigate that. Also would have to severely disagree with his assessment for several titles or for effects overall, particularly things like RTAO - once you notice the glowy nature of lighting in games without a very robust GI system (even raster), you'll pray to the gods for even a meagre RTAO implementation to give you at least some grounding for objects in the world. A recent release (on PC) which is otherwise quite good looking but suffers harshly from a lack of GI is Ghost of Tsushima.

Overall the number of worthwhile titles for RT is still quite low but I would say that sometimes all it takes is one to make it worthwhile. For me Cyberpunk 2077 alone would be enough to drive a decision for a card with better RT (plus my playtime in that one is probably greater than all the other RT titles combined). But tbh there's plenty of other titles I greatly enjoy RT in and still play from time to time, like WD:L, Metro Exodus, Riftbreaker, TW3, The Ascent, and others that I play more rarely and which are somewhat controversial vis-a-vis their RT (f.ex. Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

Plus, a lot of the less noticeable RT implementations he talks about can be tweaked (ini or unlockers) to be actually very noticeable. One obvious example that comes to mind is Doom Eternal, where the roughness cut-off is quite sharp but once you unlock it it actually becomes waaay more obvious in general (and correspondingly murders the performance); or one I don't really play - Hogwarts Legacy (but UE titles more generally due to their openness).

gclpy6X.gif
I think it's running on something like 60fps on consoles? It's to be expected to have some drawbacks. Sadly, there's no option in menu the further tweak the settings - as increasing the quality.
Fortunately, those type of situations aren't that often - smaller light sources are less "annoying" + the situations is kinda "resolved" on nVIDIA's implementation with Ray Reconstruction

Overall, I'd rather have the Metro EE system in every game than just the simple raster.

Next-Gen GPUs: Pricing and Raster 3D Performance Matter Most to TPU Readers

Generational gains in raster 3D graphics rendering performance at native resolutions remain eminently desirable for anyone following the PC hardware industry for decades now. With Moore's Law in place, we've been used to near-50% generational increases in performance, which enabled new gaming APIs and upped the eye-candy in games with each generation. Interestingly, ray tracing performance takes a backseat, polling not even 3rd, but 4th place, at 10.4% or 2,475 votes. The 3rd place goes to energy efficiency.

The introduction of 600 W-capable power connectors presented ominous signs of where power was headed with future generations of GPUs as the semiconductor fabrication industry struggles to make cutting edge sub 2 nm nodes available, which meant that for the past 3 or 4 generations, GPUs aren't getting built on the very latest foundry node. For example, by the time 8 nm and 7 nm GPUs came out, 5 nm EUV was already the cutting-edge, and Apple was making its iPhone SoCs on them. Both AMD and NVIDIA would go on to make their next-generations on 5 nm, while the cutting-edge had moved on to 4 nm and 3 nm. The upcoming RDNA 4 and GeForce Blackwell generations are expected to be built on nodes no more advanced than 3 nm, but these come out in 2025, by which time the cutting edge would have moved on to 20 A. All this impacts power, which a performance target wildly misaligns with foundry node available to GPU designers.

Our readers gave upscaling and frame-gen technologies like DLSS, FSR, and XeSS, the least votes, with the option scoring just 2.8% or 661 votes. They do not believe that upscaling technology is a valid excuse for missing generational performance improvement targets at native resolution, and take any claims such as "this looks better than native resolution" with a pinch of salt.

All said and done, the GPU buyer of today has the same expectations from the next-gen as they did a decade ago. This is important, as it forces NVIDIA and AMD to innovate, build their GPUs on the most advanced foundry nodes, and try not to be too greedy with pricing. NVIDIA's competitor isn't AMD or Intel, but rather PC gaming as a platform has competition from the consoles, which are offering 4K gaming experiences for half a grand, with technology that "just works." The onus then is on PC hardware manufacturers to keep up.

Also watched the posted HUB RT vid, it's pretty telling that only 3 games running R/PT'ing are game changing, although only one of them is 'doable' without needing a 4080 or above.

If you can run it, yay, of course it's great but that's not, mainstream, 30/4060 can't get near it, which has been my pov on adoption all along.

Imo, we are still a gen or two away for RT'ing to be readily usable on mainstream, but that'll be down to consoles providing the means.

Its obvious when you think about it.

The whole RT thing is driven by Nvidia and they only do it to justify £1000+ GPU's so it should be no surprise to anyone, really, that only about 10% of people have a firm interest in it.

It doesn't need to be like this, if RT is simply used for accurate reflections and clean up some of what's wrong with rasterised lighting RT has no need to be so GPU heavy, it really doesn't.

RT has been poisoned by Nvidia's incessant need to push profit margins relentlessly higher, poisoned by their need to use it as a marketing tool to push ever increasingly over priced GPU's.
That has been so effective that when something does come along that does run RT well on mainstream level GPU's its disqualified as 'not proper RT' in the minds of most consumers simply by virtue of a £500 GPU running it well.

RT will not become mainstream, a replacement to raster for as long as Nvidia see it as a cash cow because for as long as that is true they will never stop injecting themselves in to game studios for the purpose of RTX branding and turning RT up to 11 as to shift more £1000+ GPU's.

For once Nvidia give us a ******* break will you????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom