• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I blame culture

You see rappers in music videos dancing around a Lamborghini they rented for a day, while wearing 30 carrots of rented gold chains and a rented Rolex and singing about how they own this car, watches and jewels and after the video is filmed they give it back to the real owner and go back to living in moms basement hoping their video goes viral

And it's not just music videos, this is all over Instagram as well

Yeah. Some have become so gangsta that they pretend they can go around smashing their top of range graphics cards with a hammer like it is nothing :p

Then they chicken out and you find out they ain't no gangsta but actually a wanksta :p;) :D

Soldato
I blame culture

You see rappers in music videos dancing around a Lamborghini they rented for a day, while wearing 30 carrots of rented gold chains and a rented Rolex and singing about how they own this car, watches and jewels and after the video is filmed they give it back to the real owner and go back to living in moms basement hoping their video goes viral

Correct, it's $$$$ culture.

It's no different from pre-order culture. "Oh I just "grabbed" x on pre-order" so that's a social media flex serotonin hit that will last for 5 seconds...

"Grabbed" lmfao, you bought something, often in advance andyou have no idea what the quality of that product is...go you

:D

Soldato
The reason Nvidia are probably right is that GPUs are a luxory, and luxory products are relatively price immutable and are not impacted by things like cost of living.
Luxuries are the first things to go when budgets are squeezed.

people with plenty of cash will buy cards like the 4090, buying anything under that means you're more budget conscious and typically looking for value for money which none of the new cards offer which is why sales have been poor.

Soldato
I blame culture

First thing that came to mind: (warning language)

Soldato
"Fake it till you make it" has just become ridiculous now. (That video is great though from Lil Dicky with him taking the Mick.)

Also... 4070Ti and the prices are just a joke. If anyone is buying this stuff, you're not impressing anyone, it's literally showing people how poorly you researched.

Last edited:
Caporegime
amd only tends to opensource enabling infrastructure because
a) they are not the first movers, and tend to follow nvidia
b) they dont want to invest in r&d efforts and management bandwidth to manage these projects
c) perhaps they lack the conviction to invest in these project due to various factors and consider these as high risk avenues

theres a reason why nvidia's innovations make it to market, develop critical scale and ubiquitous penetration much faster than amd and amd's decision to opensource isnt driven by altruism either

PhysX: Created by 3DFX
Veritable refresh rate: created by Laptop Screen vendors as a power saving measure.
Image Up-scaling tech: Console Vendors
Ray Tracing: its been around since before Nvidia existed.

Nvidia did create CUDA, i think.

Multicore X86 CPU's: AMD.
64Bit computing: AMD.
Tesselation: Well... ATI.
hUMA and Hetero Genius System Architecture: AMD.
HBM Memory: AMD/Hynix.
Mantle low level API, now Vulkan: AMD.
MCM X86 CPU architecture: AMD.
3D Stacked X86 CPU architecture: AMD.
MCM GPU architecture: AMD.

Soldato
Also... 4070Ti and the prices are just a joke. If anyone is buying this stuff, you're not impressing anyone, it's literally showing people how poorly you researched.
If there are any people buying it to show off, then that is definitely laughable. :D
Pretty sure most people buying it are either just in dire need of an upgrade, don't care about the cost, or have just been ground down.
We're on a tech forum, so of course people will research this area, but not everything is a member here.

Associate
PhysX: Created by 3DFX
Veritable refresh rate: created by Laptop Screen vendors as a power saving measure.
Image Up-scaling tech: Console Vendors
Ray Tracing: its been around since before Nvidia existed.

Nvidia did create CUDA, i think.

Multicore X86 CPU's: AMD.
64Bit computing: AMD.
Tesselation: Well... ATI.
hUMA and Hetero Genius System Architecture: AMD.
HBM Memory: AMD/Hynix.
Mantle low level API, now Vulkan: AMD.
MCM X86 CPU architecture: AMD.
3D Stacked X86 CPU architecture: AMD.
MCM GPU architecture: AMD.and how much of their pioneering

i mean the way you specifically define amd's inventions and trivialize nvidia's contributions is just plain laughable..
like you went out of your way to put the "x86" adjective besides multicore but failed to throw in a "real time" after ray tracing or "ai" before upscaling

also physx was created by an european company called aegia, but nvidia acquired them.. amd dont have the appetite for investing in r&d, they would rather get done things for free
and then you ignore pathbreaking innovations all attributable to nvidia like the first programmable gpu etc. they also did something called t&l which i am not fully aware of supposed to be a very big thing in the history of gpus, pretty much defining in terms of current gpu landscape

also, you miss a big point that amd isnt going to opensource anything where they are supposed to be the first movers and can drive lasting competitive advantage, let me know when they opensource MCM

Soldato
If there are any people buying it to show off, then that is definitely laughable. :D
Pretty sure most people buying it are either just in dire need of an upgrade, don't care about the cost, or have just been ground down.
We're on a tech forum, so of course people will research this area, but not everything is a member here.
Honestly, the MSRP price is less terrible compared to the RTX 3000 series (e.g. RTX 3080 TI, RTX 3090 and 3090 TI).

You get less VRAM (except vs the RTX 3080 TI), but I doubt it matters that much. People will keep arguing that it does matter until 16GB becomes the standard. You will get much higher framerates in games supporting frame gen, which I think will be more important to most gamers.

It would have been better to price it at £700 (considering it's marketed as a xx70 card), but there hasn't been competition from AMD at this price point, so easy to see why that didn't happen.

The bigger problem is the RTX 4080 pricing, at £900 /£1000 it would already be on the edge of what many people could afford. But it costs >£1200 and only has 16GB of VRAM. In fairness, this is loads of VRAM for 4K, but it's not a big increase vs the RTX TI.

Reviewers have been more lenient on the RTX 4080 because it was marketed as a higher tier card, and people already knew it was going to be expensive. And the launch was smoother too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i mean the way you specifically define amd's inventions and trivialize nvidia's contributions is just plain laughable..
like you went out of your way to put the "x86" adjective besides multicore but failed to throw in a "real time" after ray tracing or "ai" before upscaling

also physx was created by an european company called aegia, but nvidia acquired them.. amd dont have the appetite for investing in r&d, they would rather get done things for free
and then you ignore pathbreaking innovations all attributable to nvidia like the first programmable gpu etc. they also did something called t&l which i am not fully aware of supposed to be a very big thing in the history of gpus, pretty much defining in terms of current gpu landscape

also, you miss a big point that amd isnt going to opensource anything where they are supposed to be the first movers and can drive lasting competitive advantage, let me know when they opensource MCM

LOL don't expect anything remotely objective, reasonable or factually correct from the poster you are replying to when it comes to anything to do with AMD or nVidia.

Soldato
I wonder how long before these cards hit the 2nd hand market? If the price was low enough, I could be tempted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, I wonder if the next card AMD launches will be the 7800 XT?

This card might actually have a reasonable MSRP, if the RX 6800 XT's MSRP was anything to go by.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reviewers have been more lenient on the RTX 4080 because it was marketed as a higher tier card, and people already knew it was going to be expensive. And the launch was smoother too.
I think reviews were pretty bad for the 4080 also and it was also rejected by consumers

If nvidia wanted to charge more for these cards then performance needed to be better, the 3080 was £650 and was over 25% faster than a 2080ti, the 3070ti cost £525 and performed 5% better than a 2080ti.

Contrast this to a 4080 which is just 18% faster than a 3090ti or the 4070ti which is 7% slower so this generation you're paying more for less despite the large node jump.

Associate
Also, I wonder if the next card AMD launches will be the 7800 XT?

This card might actually have a reasonable MSRP, if the RX 6800 XT's MSRP was anything to go by.

AMD have an open goal right in front of them that they will no doubt miss, again.

Imagine if they released a card that was on par with the 4070ti for £600. They would have this generations 3080. It would be constantly sold out.

They won't do it though. The 7800xt will probably start at £750.

Soldato
I think reviews were pretty bad for the 4080 also and it was also rejected by consumers

If nvidia wanted to charge more for these cards then performance needed to be better, the 3080 was £650 and was over 25% faster than a 2080ti, the 3070ti cost £525 and performed 5% better than a 2080ti.

Contrast this to a 4080 which is just 18% faster than a 3090ti or the 4070ti which is 7% slower so this generation you're paying more for less despite the large node jump.
I don't disagree. They have lost some momentum - but should we expect them to keep it, when the RTX 4000 series is using a scaled up and improved version of the previous generation's architecture?

The RTX 2000 series prices were pretty gobsmacking at the time, the super cards had super high prices, and the RTX 2080 TI price was what I would call exclusive. Not difficult for Nvidia to improve on such an expensive series.

Soldato
AMD have an open goal right in front of them that they will no doubt miss, again.

Imagine if they released a card that was on par with the 4070ti for £600. They would have this generations 3080. It would be constantly sold out.

I don't think so this time, compare the prices of released RDNA3 cards to similarly named cards in the previous gen. They're a bit lower.

I don't expect lower prices for the upper mid tier cards also, but I don't think they'll be much of an increase. It really depends on how many they can produce (Navi32), and at what cost.

Additionally, console RDNA2 production has improved, and they aren't splitting their production capacity between PC/mobile and consoles this time around.

Last edited:
Soldato

I doubt a 60CU 7800XT will be on par with a 4070ti since an 84CU 7900XT isn't all that much faster.

Soldato

Both of you are as bad as each other. He downplays Nvidia’s innovation and you are trying to peddle the laughable idea that AMD don’t innovate at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom