• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
@humbug Remember back when you got last gen flagship(780ti,980ti,1080ti,2080ti) performance in the next gen's xx70 card for half the money or less? Miss those days.
but man, theoretically the 4070 ti is still half the 3090 ti launch price..
this is what lack of competition does to you, but what options does the consumer have?
unless you are ok with buying used which the buyer above isnt
also the upgrade path is pretty important.. anyone upgrading from a 3080+ gpu to 4070 ti is perhaps acting irrationally

Last edited:
Associate
rtx £3080 which i sold for £630, it would not perform @ high settings at 165hz , the rtx 4070ti does it cost me £180 for a far far better card , i dont see the issues with all the hate for the rtx4070ti........perfect card for 1440 gamers .....nothing else available.

Last edited:
Soldato
so answer my question !!!!, should i instaed fork out at £1100 for the same performance? thats £ 300 more for the same performance ....give me a break

Its all about value for money. If you are happy spending that and you are happy with the performance, then it's great value to you and no one else matters.

Soldato
Companies don't have to offer meaningful generational performance improvements if they don't want to but then, we don't have to upgrade if they don't offer something worth upgrading to.

The 3080 10GB was a good example of high-end value.

We know how fast 700 Ampere dollars were. It looks like 800 Ada dollars are not much faster at 4k

Soldato
this is what lack of competition does to you, but what options does the consumer have?
also the upgrade path is pretty important.. anyone upgrading from a 3080+ gpu to 4070 ti is perhaps acting irrationally
This is where I disagree with you. The only reason the price is the way it is, is because people are paying. We have had competition and it doesn't do a darn thing, just look at both AMD and Nvidias prices. They are both having a laugh. If people would actually put their money where their mouth is we wouldn't have this issue. Only inflation would be a thing we had to battle. GPUs are for most people not a necessity.

Associate
rtx £3080 which i sold for £630, it would not perform @ high settings at 165hz , the rtx 4070ti does it cost me £180 for a far far better card , i dont see the issues with all the hate for the rtx4070ti........perfect card for 1440 gamers .....nothing else available.

The reason it got hate is because it is terrible value for money. It is 18% faster than a 3080 at 1440p but costs at least 23% more money than the 3080 MSRP.

If you are happy with that then good for you but don't be surprised when other people think 4070ti buyers are mugs.

All you are doing by buying a 40xx card is giving Nvidia the green light to continue selling cards at these inflated prices.

Soldato

The 3090Ti launch price was a Nivida price grab, 2.5% more cores than the base 3090, slightly faster memory and an overclock for 33% more freedom dollars.
Not that the base 3090 was a particularly good deal for gaming compared to the 3080 given it cost more than double for just 13% more frames.

Yes compared to an insanely poor value card, it looks like a deal... however compared to the usual mid range market it's doesn't offer any better performace per dollar than cards launched 2 years ago.
That's a first for the mid range as far as I remember.

Anyhow, far be it from me to dissuade you. Spend away... the more more you buy the more you save.

Soldato
GPUs as luxury objects... ha ha ha. Imagine the luxury of paying for a masterful craftsmanship just so that your card melts the power connector due to poor engineering of the connector (lack of that magic click) or that your card overheats if is stays in the position most people would use it, but perhaps it wasn't properly tested in. trololollll. AMD would actually be upgraded from premium to luxury! The scarcity driven by low market share makes it even more valuable! :cry:
:cry: :cry: And these "luxury" features are from this gen alone.

One more thing, if you think the 4080 would have been fine at $1000 or the 7900xt just a hundred or so lower than its MSRP (same for 7900xtx) or that 4070ti is fine since is competing with 3080ti/3090 or whatever halo card (remember the same PR talk with 3070 vs 2080ti?), then is game, set, match. You've already lost and while you'd afford to pay $1000 for that 4080 now or $800 or whatever for the 7900xt, the next gen or next-next gen would have you priced out as well. What do you think happens with people that will not afford to pay 4-$500 or whatever they'll want for a 4050 card when 3xxx sells out? They will be priced out and quit gaming on a PC. Fingers crossed there will be millions willing to spend upwards of $5-700 (or more), so that devs have an install base to target.

Yes, naming, GPU's specs and the lot DOES matter as it paints a picture of how the IHV wants to milk the market or not and how much respect has towards its customers. Defending the seller, as a customer, is as illogical as creating a union to ask for lower wages, make a strike for higher taxes or pay more for your house, because you know... yOu HaVe To WoRk MoRe AnD hOuSiNg iS nOt A rIgHt! Yeah, pretty fun when the construction developers will sell you 10-15sq meters "apartments" at only 100-200k because BOM, because R&D and, most important, the need for constant QoQ or YoY record profits. Customers will be like: dude, what other options we have, stay in a tent?!
So go ahead, buy these cards, some people will be very grateful for that and for the free publicity. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I have gone AMD (7900XT) for the first time in years.
Playing Hell Let Loose at 3840 x 1600 it uses up to 14GB of VRAM at times, and that is without the graphics settings set high due to the game being CPU bound.

I really don't feel that >£800 for 12GB is good enough in 2023.
12GB is good enough for a mid-range card, and that's what the 4070ti (4060ti) is. And they want £850 for it, lord help us

Soldato
GPUs as luxury objects... ha ha ha. Imagine the luxury of paying for a masterful craftsmanship just so that your card melts the power connector due to poor engineering of the connector (lack of that magic click) or that your card overheats if is stays in the position most people would use it, but perhaps it wasn't properly tested in. trololollll. AMD would actually be upgraded from premium to luxury! The scarcity driven by low market share makes it even more valuable! :cry:
:cry: :cry: And these "luxury" features are from this gen alone.

One more thing, if you think the 4080 would have been fine at $1000 or the 7900xt just a hundred or so lower than its MSRP (same for 7900xtx) or that 4070ti is fine since is competing with 3080ti/3090 or whatever halo card (remember the same PR talk with 3070 vs 2080ti?), then is game, set, match. You've already lost and while you'd afford to pay $1000 for that 4080 now or $800 or whatever for the 7900xt, the next gen or next-next gen would have you priced out as well. What do you think happens with people that will not afford to pay 4-$500 or whatever they'll want for a 4050 card when 3xxx sells out? They will be priced out and quit gaming on a PC. Fingers crossed there will be millions willing to spend upwards of $5-700 (or more), so that devs have an install base to target.

Yes, naming, GPU's specs and the lot DOES matter as it paints a picture of how the IHV wants to milk the market or not and how much respect has towards its customers. Defending the seller, as a customer, is as illogical as creating a union to ask for lower wages, make a strike for higher taxes or pay more for your house, because you know... yOu HaVe To WoRk MoRe AnD hOuSiNg iS nOt A rIgHt! Yeah, pretty fun when the construction developers will sell you 10-15sq meters "apartments" at only 100-200k because BOM, because R&D and, most important, the need for constant QoQ or YoY record profits. Customers will be like: dude, what other options we have, stay in a tent?!
So go ahead, buy these cards, some people will be very grateful for that and for the free publicity. ;)

Great post, I can't believe how many Lemmings there are lining up to defend the poor old Corporations...

Please Sir! Can I pay some more?

as1RhJ6.jpg

Soldato
""Your paying more money for less cuda cores than a 3080, when was the last time this happened with a GPU?"""

what has that got to do with anything !!!! cuda core this that , the 3080 is a far less card in performance in real world gaming where it counts ....not on paper , i give up here , i know what i need to know , carry on as you all where

i get a score of 21000 on time spy on the rtx4070ti and only 16300 on a overclocked rtx3080 ................so which is the better card for my needs? ????
The cut down cuda cores is why the cards performance isn't actually much better than a 3080, had they used the same amount of cuda cores it would have been 35% faster not just the 17% or so.

16300 is quite a low score for a 3080, most score around 17500 and even up to 19000 with some overclocking.

Soldato
High-end? You do realise this is the 4070ti thread :D

Yes and it's more powerful than the 3080 ti and possibly the 3090.
It's all relative and nvidia has decided to keep the 3 series selling alongside the 4 series and priced them accordingly which is their right to do. You have a choice to buy the 3 series secondhand .

Last edited:
Soldato
Put your pitchforks down!!!!So.....why all the hate? i have purchaced a rtx4070 ti eagle for £815.00 , now i play games at 165hz high settings on a gysnc enabled monitor at 2560 x 1440 , so please explain to me what better options i have ???? rtx 3080 doesnt do it , cant get 165hz on high settings a rtx 3080 is £720 new .......so the rtx 4070ti only £95 more , further i get a score of 21000 on the rtx4070ti and only 16300 on a overclocked rtx3080 ................so which is the better card for my needs? ????
Would you even notice the jump from a 3080 at 140fps to 4070ti 165fps with gsync enabled without an fps counter on?

Last edited:
Soldato
The cut down cuda cores is why the cards performance isn't actually much better than a 3080, had they used the same amount of cuda cores it would have been 35% faster not just the 17% or so.

16300 is quite a low score for a 3080, most score around 17500 and even up to 19000 with some overclocking.
35% more performance *for the same money* would have been a good generational uplift and enough of a difference to notice.

+20% for the same money wouldn't move the upgrade needle for me, but it would at least give me the impression that they were trying.

But < 20% improvement *and* they want an extra $100?

Um, no.

Associate
One thing I'm kind of baffled by is people comparing products from 2 years ago to newly released cards, and saying "why are people complaining?"
I bought a TUF 3070 near launch for £580 (obvs a bit inflated over msrp, but has a beefy cooler).
The TUF 4070ti is, what, £850? So for 45% more money I get around 65% more performance?
Couldn't you get around 40% more performance 2 years ago with a 3080 for around £800, some people said 650?
The 3070 was 45% faster performance than a 2070 for the same MSRP. Why is it so much more?

I guess I'm In a lucky position to have a card I love for my usage, but this generation honestly doesn't make sense to me at these prices, when i would have upgraded to a 4080 which was inline with previous gen prices (maybe 100-200 higher). Luckily my new oled monitor has come, would much rather spend the money elsewhere.

EDIT No. Were from userbenchmarks
EDIT 2. Why are people also comparing it to a 3090ti, saying its half the price. Aren't xx90ti cards supposed to be very bad value as they are unparalleled in performance and stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT 2. Why are people also comparing it to a 3090ti, saying its half the price. Aren't xx90ti cards supposed to be very bad value as they are unparalleled in performance and stuff.
They are just following the Nvidia narrative of "lets compare it to the worse possible price to performance card ever released" rather than the sensible £650 option from last gen.

Associate
They are just following the Nvidia narrative of "lets compare it to the worse possible price to performance card ever released" rather than the sensible £650 option from last gen.
That makes sense! I always wondered why Nvid do this as a flex also. It feels like they're essentially saying, "look how much we were price gouging xx90 buyers last generation!"
Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom