• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
£815.00 Gigabyte 4070ti 12GB Eagle (pic from https://yujihw.com/)

L1AFrY9.jpg

£899.00 Sapphire/Gigabyte 7900XT 20GB Reference

UiMCuDah.jpg

Both cards need a price cut but its pretty clear where the value is.
What does the 4090 PCB look like? I seem to remember that's a bit spare too, compared to the AMD cards at least. I think it was one of the cheaper models of 4090 I was looking at but I'd imagine there's not the biggest difference between models is there?
I do sort of find it impressive that Nvidia are basically doing so much with so little compared to the AMD cards, but it does make the prices look worse. Although I guess a lot of the expense for both is the big bit in the middle (and the memory).

Soldato
That makes sense! I always wondered why Nvid do this as a flex also. It feels like they're essentially saying, "look how much we were price gouging xx90 buyers last generation!"
Weird.
You know when they actually have a good card that's priced well as they compare it like for like to the previous gen as they did with the 3080 to 2080, they couldn't do that this time as no matter which way they spin it would look terrible so all they could do was a comparison to very worse performance per $ card from last gen cause that's the only way it can look like a deal.

Soldato
£815.00 Gigabyte 4070ti 12GB Eagle (pic from https://yujihw.com/)

L1AFrY9.jpg

£899.00 Sapphire/Gigabyte 7900XT 20GB Reference

UiMCuDah.jpg

Both cards need a price cut but its pretty clear where the value is.

All that AMD technology, double the bandwith, lovely chiplets, juicy power stages and still just a few % faster.
All that complexity is for nothing if you don't get the performance.

I see this card as 1st gen Ryzen... it needs some iterations + driver work to improve.
Biggest issue is AMD don't every push the volume. TSMC orders are being cut so there is spare capacity.
AMD could have sold this cheaper in significant volume and still made bank but decided to go for the "we're premium too" pricing and settle for 10% of the discrete market.

My current card is Nvidia, but the last 2 were Vega64 and RX580.

Soldato
(and the memory).
Around £17 per IC - x12 = £200 (roughly) on the 4090.

*Digikey link.

e: If you want to workout roughly how much each die is costing Nvidia you can use the archived version of caly-technologies.com die per wafer calculator and a video from Ian Cutress where he ran through how to use the calculator (he does it for the Ryzen 9 7950X but IIRC the costs are roughly the same).

When i did it i came up with roughly £300 for the die.

Last edited:
Associate
The 3090Ti launch price was a Nivida price grab, 2.5% more cores than the base 3090, slightly faster memory and an overclock for 33% more freedom dollars.
Not that the base 3090 was a particularly good deal for gaming compared to the 3080 given it cost more than double for just 13% more frames.

Yes compared to an insanely poor value card, it looks like a deal... however compared to the usual mid range market it's doesn't offer any better performace per dollar than cards launched 2 years ago.
That's a first for the mid range as far as I remember.

Anyhow, far be it from me to dissuade you. Spend away... the more more you buy the more you save.
I was talking abt the absurdity of using such benchmarks like "the power of previous gen flagship at half the price". There are people who are still using other absurd benchmarks like cuda cores, die size, die size relative to the flagship. It just clouds your judgement. Decisions can only be made within the boundaries of available options. Someone on a 2070 averse to buying used and upgrading to 4070 ti is probably not making a bad decision.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not an opinion everyone will share but personally I'm OK with nVidia charging whatever for an actual flagship card - if I need it I'll pay for it, what I don't find OK at all is what they've been increasingly doing with the cards below that.

WOW.

Basically this. If they want to milk, milk the people who don't care and want the best. As they say over the pond, I could care less :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Put your pitchforks down!!!!So.....why all the hate? i have purchaced a rtx4070 ti eagle for £815.00 , now i play games at 165hz high settings on a gysnc enabled monitor at 2560 x 1440 , so please explain to me what better options i have ???? rtx 3080 doesnt do it , cant get 165hz on high settings a rtx 3080 is £720 new .......so the rtx 4070ti only £95 more , further i get a score of 21000 on the rtx4070ti and only 16300 on a overclocked rtx3080 ................so which is the better card for my needs? ????

instead of jumping on the rtx4070ti hate brandwagon ....think for yourselves or listen to people who know what they are talking about!!! for example the experts at 3d guru.....been doing graphics card tests as long as ive been building them 25 years plus ...

To sum it all up, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti provides a proper gaming experience. Comparing apples to apples, it sits (give or take) at 3090 Ti performance. And comparing apples to oranges, the closest comparative is the Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT and 7900 XT. The choice in-between 4070 Ti and 7900 XT is a complex one. The RTX offers better raytracing performance and adds the bonus of DLSS3. The 7900 XT, however, is a notch faster in the rasterizer engine backed by the additional L3 cache. The 12GB this card offers also is enough for the time being with most titles and the combination of Ultra HD. The ADA GPU architecture will cut through games with surgical precision and perform skillfully and competently. A good chunk of extra shader cores brings in nearly 1.5x raw shader performance and even faster Raytracing, and Tensor cores offer more performance. Underlying technologies like Shader Execution Reordering (SER) and DLSS 3.0 make the new product and Series 4000 shine. In closing, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti impresses and will make you happy, but at a substantial cost. Despite the excellent perf per watt ratio, the energy consumption levels remain on the high side (relatively). What the PC Gaming market needs are more affordable graphics cards, and the 4070 Ti seems to be priced a notch too high, making people delay their upgrade. The market screams for reasonable performing sub-500 USD products.

Nah mate. You got inked and now you irked.

In all seriousness though, if you are so happy with your purchase, why are you bothered about what others think? Simple fact is the 4070 Ti is a **** card. Not necessarily because of the hardware, but the price.

Soldato
Up until at least the 4080 TPU were using the 5800X in their benchmarks but looks like since then have been using a 13900K so perhaps some of the data used there is with the old CPU. Someone on here posted a few recent screenshots from TPU that had both CPUs in the results with some decent boosts to be had for the 4090, not sure of the source review though.

Soldato
Up until at least the 4080 TPU were using the 5800X in their benchmarks but looks like since then have been using a 13900K so perhaps some of the data used there is with the old CPU. Someone on here posted a few recent screenshots from TPU that had both CPUs in the results with some decent boosts to be had for the 4090, not sure of the source review though.

TPU did an article on it as well to address the complaints.

But I believe their GPU position chart as well as the initial review was not updated, they are done using a 5800x. If they used a 5800x3d instead the rtx4090 results across 50 games would be 7% higher at 4k and 15% higher at 1440p.

And there is still more in the tank for some games; the 4090 is still bottlenecked at 4k in some games, for example it's quite badly bottlenecked in the popular MW2 on my 7950x

Last edited:
Soldato
Without looking at the charts I could tell you that Assassins Creed Odyssey (DX11) is probably also gimped at 4k as it is also a dog.
Very true, this game is the worse optimized I've seen in quite a while. It doesn't even look particularly good. Lazy DX11 port .

It's just not worth buying Ubisoft games on PC (WD: Legions was alright to be fair).

Last edited:
Soldato
What I think Nvidia should have done is.
1 Released a 4080ti for £1200 on an AD102 which is 10-15% slower than a 4090
2 Released the AD103 4080 for 850
3 Released the 104 4070ti for 650

They don't need to though. Enough people will pay >£1,000 for the 16GB 4080 (with Nvidia's current market advantage).

They probably don't want to produce lots of AD103 cards, because of the significant increase in die cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
They don't need to though. Enough people will pay >£1,000 for the 16GB 4080 (with Nvidia's current market advantage).

They probably don't want to produce lots of AD103 cards, because of the significant increase in die cost.
Nvidia will still make a lot more money on the 4080 than the 4070ti, the die cost of the 4080'would be around $33 more and 4gb of VRAM would be $50 at most yet the cost difference is $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom