• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't know if they would (they have to if they are not selling), but it wouldn't matter, you could buy AMD in that case, no?
Then why bring it up, if lowering prices wouldn't put pressure on Nvidia to do the same then all they'd be doing is loosing money, same for you could buy AMD in that case, what reason do they have not to follow what the market leader is doing.

Also if you think they have to lower prices just because they're not selling then you've not been paying attention to the last 6+ months.

Soldato
so dragging this thread back vaguely on topic, what's everyone's ok price to grab a 4070ti, myself if it got to £700 id say it would be worth a punt when you compared it to the £650 launch of the 3080 founders.

its still high but compared to where we where performance wise two years ago for the same price its not bad.

Acceptable pricing in my head would be something like

£400 4060ti
£500 4070
£600 4070ti
£750 4080
£850 4080ti
£1200 4090

Associate
so dragging this thread back vaguely on topic, what's everyone's ok price to grab a 4070ti, myself if it got to £700 id say it would be worth a punt when you compared it to the £650 launch of the 3080 founders.

its still high but compared to where we where performance wise two years ago for the same price its not bad.

The 3080 was always the best value proposition of all the high end Ampere cards. The 3080ti and 3090 made little sense and the 3090ti was a blatant rip off in the middle of the mining gpu drought, comparing it to theses is idiotic.

You can compare it to the 3080 and its price of £650 or you can look at die sizes and it is most similar to a 3060ti/3070/3070ti than the other Ampere cards. It is a third tier of gpu die in the Ada generation whereas the 3080 10gb was the second tier.

If it was under £700 it would be getting closer to reasonable and hopefully drag down the 4080 price which is also too high. Only the 4090 , being the best card available, should be at premium prices in comparison to its performance, the lower cards in the stack should offer significantly better value and they just do not.

Soldato
Then why bring it up, if lowering prices wouldn't put pressure on Nvidia to do the same then all they'd be doing is loosing money, same for you could buy AMD in that case, what reason do they have not to follow what the market leader is doing.

Also if you think they have to lower prices just because they're not selling then you've not been paying attention to the last 6+ months.
How would they be losing money by lowering prices? Wouldnt that mean they would sell more?

How is AMD following the market leader? They did one better, they managed to ask for more money for a worse product than the market leader

Soldato
Acceptable pricing in my head would be something like

£400 4060ti
£500 4070
£600 4070ti
£750 4080
£850 4080ti
£1200 4090

Exactly this is how I'm looking at it as the pricing is what is killing this generation. We can't compare it to what happened with 20 or 30 series as they both had their own issues at the time, what issues are there now for this greed and inflation hasn't suddenly caused everything to double in price and that lie they are pushing on us all the time to force higher pricing and in every field I am talking about not just gpus and electronics, a lot of general electronics has come down in price and even other computer parts.

Sorry but we are all being taken for a ride with everything and the UK is the worst place in the world for it right now and you just have to look at food pricing and energy pricing, energy pricing compared to any other europe country is a disgrace and the other countries are complaining about their increases and ours are close 4x some of them for the same units used and the standing charges have become insane too. Honestly things need to change soon before the whole country will be on strike and no one can afford their normal bills at this rate.

Soldato

About 350-400 euros tops in order to worth the trouble.

Soldato
And Tesla drops prices by around 20%. Some posters from here should write Elon and tell him that's a mistake! He should have doubled the price instead, after all that's a luxury item ffs! Doesn't he knows about R&D, BOM, profits at any cost for investors? Darn... :cry:
Which posters from here suggested that nvidia shouldnt drop prices? Name one and quote him.

You know strawmaning people is a sure sign to show the world you are wrong - you can't argue with what people actually said, so you are arguing with stuff they never did. It's kinda embarrassing

Last edited:
Soldato
Ukraine says, Hi!
We are not in a war. Common sense please.

Other countries in the world too I can name that are worse but I'm talking about countries not in a war and countries that have suddenly turned this bad in a few short years and still not over as we see. Other stable countries are not facing what we are facing just look at our energy bills as the perfect example of how things have gone wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which posters from here suggested that nvidia shouldnt drop prices? Name one and quote him.

You know strawmaning people is a sure sign to show the world you are wrong - you can't argue with what people actually said, so you are arguing with stuff they never did. It's kinda embarrassing
Plenty of posts on these forums that were marching on the idea that GPUs are luxury items, prices are fine, it's nvidiasyand AMD's duty to make as high of a profit as possible (that can be done via volume as well, but whatever) and that we shouldn't complain. Just buy or don't buy.

Next time I'll save them for you ;)

Soldato

I did the numbers, and at best it's really an RTX3070 equivalent of this generation , and even if you did think it was an RTX4070TI it should be sub £600 like its competition.

Soldato
We are not in a war. Common sense please.

Other countries in the world too I can name that are worse but I'm talking about countries not in a war and countries that have suddenly turned this bad in a few short years and still not over as we see. Other stable countries are not facing what we are facing just look at our energy bills as the perfect example of how things have gone wrong.

Its not great considering the UK is a wealthy country and has one of the Reserve Currencies in the world so can literally print money. Other countries on peril have problems because they have low foreign currency reserves due to the effects of the pandemic.

Apparently the UK has the most expensive electricity in the world now! This is despite having our own oil and gas,having large LNG terminals and having a lot of wind power and not needing oil or gas from Russia. It's a typical case of Rip off Britain because Quick Buck Britain is what our Politicians and their backers only care about.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's easy to say "dont buy anything" but there are people still with midrange pascals or even ολδερ that will need to upgrade. With all this drama about the 4070ti, people are going to be led to inferior products that are even more overpriced and worse products. What message do you think that will send?
No one here is advising anyone to buy AMD instead, I think the general consensus is to buy neither until prices fall and that will happen sooner with the more people that follow the advice.

Associate
Plenty of posts on these forums that were marching on the idea that GPUs are luxury items, prices are fine, it's nvidiasyand AMD's duty to make as high of a profit as possible (that can be done via volume as well, but whatever) and that we shouldn't complain. Just buy or don't buy.

Next time I'll save them for you ;)

This is exactly the situation we are in.

GPUs are a luxury item for the vast majority of the public and sales of luxury items are down. I do not see gpus as being immune to market forces. Miners do not want them anymore so who else is there to buy them.

Prices are not fine and that is why sales are relatively poor. Lets see what happens to sales now the early adopters have all gotten cards. There is no shortage of supply anymore.

It is Nv and AMDs duty to make as high a profit as they can but ripping your customers off to make profits in 2023 does not help your profits in 2024/25/26 etc. I agree a volume selling approach would be preferable for the consumer but it is Nvs tactic to try and force prices up and increase margins, AMD have just followed suit and priced their cards in line with the market leader.

Of course we are going to complain and rightly so. In the pandemic certain prices went up to a significant degree and TSMC made Nv and AMD pay through the nose for their wafers. All of this is now changing and TSMC cannot sell the wafers they are producing and all other costs are also dropping. The cards are costing less to produce and profit per gpu+ram package sold to the AIB partners is high and if they keep that price a constant Nvs profit per package will increase over the next year as prices for wafers and ram continue to fall. Nv and AMD have a massive profit per item and can reduce prices if they want too, the AIB partners and retailers are prisoner to what they get the chips and cards for.

Just buy or don't buy. That is the choice we have. No one is forcing us to pay these prices and a lot of people are just not buying.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Apparently the UK has the most expensive electricity in the world now! This is despite having our own oil and gas,having large LNG terminals and having a lot of wind power and not needing oil or gas from Russia.

the problem is decades of no investment in new nuclear power and our reliance on gas for power generation which can hit 56% or more even with 10% of our electricity being generated by wind.

some numbers from this morning.

British electricity mix at 7am on 15th Jan 2023 Nuclear 19.8% Gas 13.4% Coal 1.0% Wind 60.2% Solar 0.0% Hydro 2.6% Biomass 2.5% Import 0.0% Storage 0.0% Other 0.7% Generation 26GW

which is good but the problem is its a sunday morning. come mid week we can be drawing 36GW or more electricity when everyones in work, things will change but as hinkly point C has shown the prices wont be cheap as we are over a barrel it seems due to the political game of hoofing problems down the road year after year by ALL party's.

Soldato
No one here is advising anyone to buy AMD instead, I think the general consensus is to buy neither until prices fall and that will happen sooner with the more people that follow the advice.
Well the thing is, with 90 pages here and hundreds of pages in other forums complaining about the 4070tis pricing, while having 0 pages complaining about the 7900xt prices, a random person browsing the forum would conclude that the 4070ti is overpriced (100s of pages saying so) while the xt isn't, lets buy the xt.

Not only would he have made the wrong choice, he would also negatively affect me and you by buying the worst and the more overpriced product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom