What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I don't think you can label the film as sexist due to that, it's fundamental to the story, without it it just wouldn't work, plus it's a (depressing) depiction of human reality to be honest:-

Indeed, its the whole point...
Its the males weakness that ends up sealing their fate and making them look rather stupid.

Yes, you could question the nudity... but ;) ... doh! :p

Soldato
He plays his boss to get what he wants

Well yeah as he thinks he is helping the robot get free. However its not clear whether its entirely for his own gain:

a) its his own gain; a completely selfish/manipulative act. He frees her and she will be with him etc. +100 to him

b) its partly his gain because he has feelings for the robot/woman BUT woman/robot gains as well so its win win +50 to him +50 to robot/woman As he thinks she is conscious/aware so should be freed but of course he has his feelings for her and their possible future as well etc.

c) its not his gain at all. He sees the woman/robot as being trapped and being tortured by the boss so he feels morally obligated to help
+90 to robot/woman freedom +10 to him for trying to do the ethically right thing (feel good factor).

I think its b or c. I dont think a because i think he genuinely believes she passes the turing test is aware/conscious.

The sexism angle i didnt mean that as a bad thing btw..just interesting :p

come to think of it...think i'll upmark its ranking a little for making me think:D

Last edited:
Suspended
Kajaki - 8.5/10

Very harrowing and brutal, felt like I was actually there while watching it, a exemplary show of courage and bravery from the troops for there fallen brothers, very touching and emotional, I loved it, only thing I felt was the ending was a bit dragged out.

Can anyone recommend me any other true story movies like this? particularly British ones?

Regards

Associate
Mad Max: Fury Road. 10/10.

I enjoyed every second of it. I honestly think it's up there as one of the greatest action films of all time. At the very least the best action film in probably a decade. The world and vehicle design was so rich and interesting. That dirt bike scene in the middle of the movie had me so hyped too.

Memories of a Murder (2003)

8/10
Edit*
Reading the IMDB comments, seems it's based on actual events in SK, that makes it even more interesting a film.

The ending of that movie is so powerful once you read up on the supposed meaning of it.

Like you said, it's based on real events of a serial killer who has not been captured in SK. The look straight at the camera at the end is kind of like looking at the real killer, who might have been watching the movie.

If you enjoyed that then you MUST see 'I saw The Devil' which imho is an even better South Korean murder crime thriller. Stunning film :)

I thought I Saw The Devil was awful.

I didn't have any sympathy towards the protagonist at all by the end, because mostly everything that happens in the film after the initial kidnapping is entirely his own fault through his own depraved desire to play cat and mouse. It was just so depressing.

Last edited:
Soldato
It follows.

Was ok, nothing special.

Wow what a dog **** film. 2/10 (would have been 1 but it did have boobies and ass, so 2)

One of those films that just annoys you with how stupid it all is. You would just drive down to south america and bang some prozzy... Or make a solid trap seen as it was easy to prove it was real (chucking a blanket on it for example).

Just ****ing stupid.

Soldato
What We Do In The Shadows - Fly on the wall spoof documentary about 4 vampires living together in New Zealand, much funnier than it had the right to be, was laughing from start to finish pretty much. 8/10

Odd Thomas - About a guy who can basically see dead people, demons and such, finds out something really bad is going to happen and tries to stop it. Again, much better than you'd expect, would give it 8/10 but so much CGI drops it down a point so 7/10

Back
Top Bottom