What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
There is a thread for that somewhere.

But I'd say just watch 4,5.6 then if you still want to watch the new prequels.

Is it specifically a Star Wars thread? Not sure what to search.

I've seen all sorts of weird suggestions of orders it's a bit of a nightmare lol.

Thanks though :)

EDIT:

SehgO.png

That's one suggestion!! I would have no idea about that at all. The order you have said does appear to be the most common though I believe.

Soldato
So I'm someone who has never actually watched Star Wars and have avoided it for years. All of my friends can never believe it when I say I haven't seen it, now it's time to give it a go.

Would someone be able to clarify the order of films as I'm a bit confused?

There is a thread for that somewhere.

But I'd say just watch 4,5.6 then if you still want to watch the new prequels.

This

Associate
I watched Ex Machina yesterday too, and quite enjoyed it. It was a little predictable in some places, but a solid 8/10 and worth watching.

Also watched Black Sea with Jude Law - a bunch of British and Russian ex Navy men go hunting for a sunken Nazi submarine full of gold. It's not bad, but it's not a must watch either. 7/10.

Associate
Have a look on youtube for "plinkett star wars" - he pretty much sums it up.

Can't link directly, contains swearies (and other minor non-family friendly bits)

Associate
Spy (2015) - 3/10

A single joke film that isn’t that funny a joke to start with, and unfortunately, has very few funny moments within it.
The plot repeats itself, and there is too much reliance on crude and toilet humour.
The characters are mostly entertaining to watch and fill their roles well, but this style of Bond spoof has been done before, and been done much better.

Permabanned
We need to talk about Kevin. I tried reading the book a while back and couldn't get more than a couple chapters in. I hated everything about it. I remember throwing it aside and thinking "that is written in the most pretentious horse **** way". I can't say the film was much better. The only redeeming feature was Jasper Newell as young Kevin who did such a good job I hated him from the moment he was on screen. Even Swinton, who I think is a fantastic actress didn't impress me at all.

I think a better film based on the subject matter is Elephant from 2003 which is based somewhat on an actual event and heavily influenced by Alan Clarke's 1989 film of the same name.

Soldato
Kajaki
4/10.
This movie had an excellent premise (a group of solider find themselves in a minefield and each soldier, keeps ending up stepping on mine).
IMO, its the editing which lets it down. Had it been edited down to 60 minutes, this would've been great, but they put far too much "filler" material in it, which made those parts boring.

Soldato
ex machina

not bad at all. 7.3/10 Had potential to be better i think but a very good film nonetheless..makes you think.

A tad sexist though :p

By that i mean it explores the "sexist map"

Last edited:
Caporegime
Predestination 7.5/10

Time travel - Time cop's final mission: To stop a bomb attack in the 70s.

Its a decent enough film, its obvious, its far fetched. Its only 97 mins long. Worth a watch if you appreciate this type of "twisty" film.
Not a special effect-fest. The female lead is very good too. :cool:

Soldato
In what regard?

probably both ways!

Sexist in that it has a stereotypical view of men and women. First AI robot is a "woman" which the male creator uses and abuses (multiple times). He has trapped/kidnapped the women and they are trying to break free from the patriachal overlord. The role of the female robot is like a resistance cell fighting against the evil male oppressor.

So of course then a more mature and balanced human male appears on the scene and genuinely trys to help the female robot(s) break free. He actually seems to be having genuine feelings for this female robot which he thinks are reciprocated and they discuss how she can escape.. however he discovers too late that he is being used and duped (the designer tells him this before dying) by the female robot who traps the decent male guy and walks away without a backward glance..her mission accomplished.

Don
I don't think you can label the film as sexist due to that, it's fundamental to the story, without it it just wouldn't work, plus it's a (depressing) depiction of human reality to be honest:-

Everyone uses everyone else for their own gains

You could argue the female nudity isn't required though.

Soldato
How does the guy use her though? The test seems to have succeeded (well it succeeded in duping him and showing his limited male thinking) because he is treating "her" like a real woman who needs help to get away from her oppressor. She has asked him for help whilst deliberately giving the impression to the guy that she has developed more feelings for him.

His fault is too be tricked into thinking the robot has consciousness (due to its appearance and role) when at the end of it does it really? I'd say nope.

Possibly he saw her first as a female and this overrides any clear thinking on whether it was truly aware. But then its hardly his fault..hes only a man :D

Back
Top Bottom