What film did you watch last night?

"The Wave" on Amazon Prime. This is a Norwegian film about an 80m tsunami that sweeps up a fjord after a mountain rockslide. Someone else recommended it earlier in the thread so |I thought I'd give it a go. As it's subtitled you have to keep watching so i was quickly fully engaged. The fact that the actors are all 'normal' looking people helped sell the realism of it all. I enjoyed it.7/10

Great movie that.

Hidden Figures - 9/10 - I'm a sucker for NASA/Space films/documentaries so I knew I'd enjoy this just from the trailer but what I'd missed with my "yay NASA!!!! film" joy is that the film is effectively 3 narratives, firstly concerning NASA's first manned space flights in general, then the role of women at NASA and role of race in general which drew me in extremely well. I'm absolutely amazed that the US, and NASA in particular, when it was literally throwing everything it had against the Soviet Unions in the Space Race, was still literally fighting with one hand behind it's back as it discounted the abilities of people because of the colour of their skin or their gender.

Anyway, a very good script with some fine performances as you'd expect from the calibre of actor (although seeing "Sheldon" in a very similar role was a struggle for me) but with some ropey CGI more accustomed to a Sharknado film however it really was this true story which was, quite rightly, the star.

Alien.1979

My local cinema was showing the director edit so had to go see it.

Holds up fairly well, not quite as jumpy and scarey as I remember but still nice to see Jones the cat hissing at the xenomorph.

Hidden Figures - 9/10 - I'm a sucker for NASA/Space films/documentaries.

Maybe try "Mission Control: The unsung Heroes of Apollo" which I will get around to watching soon.

After watching Hidden figures I was inspired to watch "The Dish" from circa 2000

"A remote Australian antenna, populated by quirky characters, plays a key role in the first Apollo moon landing."

Which is a good 7/10 NASA related film.

I watched Get Out again at the weekend. Just as good the second time around. Without giving spoilers there's a lot of stuff you pick up on second time round. Really shows how clever the film is.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 9/10

Pretty much on par with the first one, fantastic action, laughs and entertainment. The cast truly do make these films something special, thoroughly enjoyed it throughout!

predestination - 4/10 - meh! i had this recommended to me and thought it was going to be clever but everything was so predictable and obvious well before it happened - its probably the only film i've ever watched where i said 'is that it!' out loud when it ended.

Guardians Vol 2 - 6.5 outta 10

Not as good as the first as a few too many plot threads and characters to cover this time plus
I'm just plain confused as to how powerful different factions are, the gold people were the initial threat but surely they're no match for a Celestial yet on Ego's own planet he is unable to control pretty much anything that happens all too conveniently. And where does Thanos fit in on the power scale compared to Ego? Also didn't really like the 'I loved your mother......I put the tumor in her head because......no real reason. Was also expecting at least one of the many end credit scenes to indicate the Guardians heading for Earth or some such, and Sly just seemed unnecessary unless he is now going to be a Marvel regular or at least in Vol 3.

It did keep me entertained throughout and had some great comedic lines
Rocket being a Trash Panda got the biggest laugh from me
but there were also a few too many one liners that felt a bit forced and unnecessary. Soundtrack was ok but not a patch on the first imo.

Miss Sloane

A cross between House of Cards and a movie with a strong leading female lead that is smarter than everyone else?

Actually, it is a really smart movie, good performances and also insightful look at the US lobbyist sector on how laws in America are twisted/bent and some ways tailored by these people call lobbyist.

What it lacks however is the West Wing dialogue, there are one or two strong arguments made by the characters but it felt short on the impact that I experienced on the West Wing.

Overall I enjoyed it, if you like House of Cards or the West Wing I would think you would enjoy this too. Jessica Chastain is excellent in it.

Tall Men. Written by Jonathan Holbrook. Produced by Jonathan Holbrook. Directed by Jonathan Holbrook. Edited by Jonathan Holbrook. Co-starring Chris Venskus as Conrad Wrobel.

Dan Crisafulli comes out of semi-retirement to deliver a masterful performance as Terence Mackleby, an eccentric young man who begins an unusual relationship with a mysterious woman he meets at work.

With strong support from Kay Witney, Richard Garcia, and the ever-popular Bruce Weech, Crisafulli plays 'straight to the camera' in the style we've all come to know and love.

Critics have been unstinting in their praise for Dave Shecter's controversial use of a 'flat wash' colour pallette.

Clocking in at 2 hours and a handful of minutes, this slow burning psychological thriller will delight and astonish viewers of all ages.

I rate Tall Men at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an unusual 7/10 on IMDB.

predestination - 4/10 - meh! i had this recommended to me and thought it was going to be clever but everything was so predictable and obvious well before it happened - its probably the only film i've ever watched where i said 'is that it!' out loud when it ended.

Strange, I thought this was a fantastic film personally.

I watched it not knowing much about it and didn't really have any expectations. It surprised me with how good it was.

Each to their own I guess :)

Strange, I thought this was a fantastic film personally.

I watched it not knowing much about it and didn't really have any expectations. It surprised me with how good it was.

Each to their own I guess :)

yeah i know people that love it - maybe i've watched too many time travelling films.

also i couldn't buy that they were the same people even though it was obvious they were going that way, because they looked so different, body wise. As soon as the 'man' came on screen i thought 'thats a woman in make-up' it was really obvious - so it lost any suspension of disbelief there and then

yeah i know people that love it - maybe i've watched too many time travelling films.

also i couldn't buy that they were the same people even though it was obvious they were going that way, because they looked so different, body wise. As soon as the 'man' came on screen i thought 'thats a woman in make-up' it was really obvious - so it lost any suspension of disbelief there and then

I know there are a lot of time travel films and there are always going to be issues due to the nature of the genre, but I thought this was one of the best.

I loved time crimes, triangle, 41, primer, arq, looper and time lapse too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom