What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
I'm not suggesting your taste is unsophisticated, just that the godfather part 2 is widely regarded as one of the best sequels ever made with good reason, not least that it doesn't just trot out a lesser version of the first. In terms of being hard to follow I'd avoid all David Lynch entirely despite the fact that horror from the east has been borrowing from him for the last 2 decades.
I just found it incongruous to followup that review of the godfather part 2 with a defence of a movie based on one scene and thought you might be on a wind up!

Obviously all artistic opinion is subjective, if in the light of day you found Godfather part 2 to be on a par with the happenings imdb rating, that is what you thought!
Meh. I've watched oodles of films and continue to do so, and I thought all the Godfather films were staggeringly boring.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I think with Intersteller Nolan specifically said certain moments of the film the soundtrack should over take the voice work ( in scenes where its just heavy breathing..panic sounds) and SFX, most notably the "docking" scene, apparently a lot of cinemas thought it was a sound mistake and turned it down.

Yeah, the sound work is very deliberate:

Soldato
Life (4K) 6/10.

Started off quite promising but rapidly degenerated into standard monster-on-a-space-station fare. Twist at the end utterly predictable, too. The 4K transfer was good but in retrospect should have been a rental job.

Man of Honour
Meh. I've watched oodles of films and continue to do so, and I thought all the Godfather films were staggeringly boring.
You mean weren't entertained with trying to figure out why it's worth getting a dead body to hold a gun to 'shoot itself' in the head (to make it look said dead person killed himself) after it's already been shot in the chest and the face? Made absolutely no sense :p

Soldato
Arrival - I had heard some poor reviews of this sci-fi from Denis Villeneuve but it grabbed me from the beginning and kept me enthralled until the end credits, loved it. Just seemed right to me, gave you something to think about. 5/5

I think the poor reviews are from people expecting an aliens style action film.

This is actually a very intelligent film. Brilliant I thought.

Soldato
Maybe so for you but there is likely a reason a 43 year old film maintains a 9.0 score across IMDB whilst the far more recent happening is at a 5.
I hate pride and prejudice as a book but rating it the same as fifty shades is silly!

Soldato
I'm not saying it's not a good film, only that I think it's staggeringly dull.
In the context of the thread it reads like you'd support a rating of the godfather part 2 inline with the happening on IMDB, I don't think it unreasonable to point out why I disagree with that assessment, subjectivity or not, its a fringe opinion.

Caporegime
In the context of the thread it reads like you'd support a rating of the godfather part 2 inline with the happening on IMDB, I don't think it unreasonable to point out why I disagree with that assessment, subjectivity or not, its a fringe opinion.
My point is it's not unreasonable to rate Godfather II as 5/10, provided everyone understands that that's a subjective opinion. After all, the supposedly objective IMDb rating that you're referring to only exists because of millions of subjective ratings.

Last edited:
Soldato
My point is it's not unreasonable to rate Gidfatyer II as 5/10, provided everyone understands that that's a subjective opinion. After all, the supposedly objective IMDb rating that you're referring to only exists because of millions of subjective ratings.

Not sure where I called IMDB ratings objective? Bulk opinions do reduce the issue of an outlier position though, especially after long periods since the creation I find. I'd say when suggesting the Godfather Part 2 is on a par with the happening it's likely (if you poll a large number of people) that won't be the overall conclusion.

As I say anyone can say anything they like about a film and rate it anyway they want, I'm not even suggesting its "unsophisticated" just simply pointing out if its a total fringe position, someone will likely mention that, as I have.

Caporegime
Alien Covenant - 6/10

Good Points - Visually it was great. It was tense at times and had the "eeriness that Ridley does so well" - It also acted as a good prequel to the other Alien movies and fleshed out the storyline a bit more. David was a good bad guy.

Bad points - the crew had their fair share of dumb as **** moments :p

Back
Top Bottom