What film did you watch last night?

When we went to the BFI IMAX at Waterloo, the staff come out and give you a short little introduction and mentioned that Chris Nolan uses the BFI IMAX to set the final audio mix and volume levels.

I don't remember thinking it was too loud...

kong skull island - 8/10 - really wasn't expecting to like it and the trailer looked stupid but i really enjoyed it. Great B-movie action film. Better than king kong (not hard) and imo better than pacific rim.

I think it's down to the cinema. My local independent did it brilliantly and I didn't find it too loud at all.

Same here sound was ok when I saw it (independant)

My mate saw it in a different cinema (chain) and said sound was too loud , maybe your projectionist had the preset configured to Michael Bay mode ?

Dunkirk - 7/10 good movie

The Beguiled - 7/10

Strange movie really. Looking back not a lot happened but I was thoroughly engrossed throughout. I've only seen Lost in Translation but it seems that's very much Sofia Coppola's style. There's certainly something about that deep south accent and moodiness.

Well that's not good. Probably give it a miss and wait for the bluray then. I get loud explosions and gunshots are atmospheric but not when it's uncomfortable.
I know what you mean... but I'm slightly amused by the idea of refusing to see a film documenting the horrors of war because the noises are too loud :p

Nolan is known for weird sound mixes. When people complained about not being able to understand the dialogue in Interstellar or understand Bane in Batman, Nolan said it was deliberate and he wanted the audience to have to think and make their own assumptions about exactly what the characters were saying.

47 Metres Down (2017) - 5/10

The sharks are menacing, the setting is claustrophobic and the action scenes are tense at times with some good jump scares, but the lead actors get very annoying and their mediocre acting doesn’t help.

The underwater cinematography lacks any beauty and although it does explain away the most unrealistic scenes, there is still plenty in the plot to nit-pick about.

Entertaining enough, but not great.

I saw Dunkirk last night at my local Odeon, I did really enjoy it. Thought it was quite tense at times and it did really grip you and made you wonder how it really was on that beach. The movie was quite loud though at times but I thought it was just to make it more real for the viewers as well.

Manchester By The Sea

Casey Affleck is superb in this drama about a depressed uncle, who is asked to take care of his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies. No fancy special effects, cgi or explosions and guns, just a gripping story, superbly acted.

47 Metres Down (2017) - 5/10

The sharks are menacing, the setting is claustrophobic and the action scenes are tense at times with some good jump scares, but the lead actors get very annoying and their mediocre acting doesn’t help.

The underwater cinematography lacks any beauty and although it does explain away the most unrealistic scenes, there is still plenty in the plot to nit-pick about.

Entertaining enough, but not great.

I watched this last night and can agree with this.

Short film, no real build up on characters. The characters seemed to get more stupid as time went on.

I agree with the cinematography, this could have had some really nice scenes had it had the budget.

Nolan is known for weird sound mixes. When people complained about not being able to understand the dialogue in Interstellar or understand Bane in Batman, Nolan said it was deliberate and he wanted the audience to have to think and make their own assumptions about exactly what the characters were saying.

Tom Hardy did have to ADR all his lines for The Dark Knight Rises in the end as his on set dialogue was too muffled for audiences.

Don't really remember issues in Interstellar.

Back
Top Bottom