What film did you watch last night?

I don't remember the score at all for Dunkirk, and I saw it a week or two ago. I didn't know it was playing throughout the entire film either.
I just remember one scene and the music was focusing, but I didn't particularly feel very engaged.

Shame. After watching Intersteller, the theme stayed with me for ages, and I actually went to the cinema again with someone who wanted to see it; and I was looking forward to hearing the music again.

Tom Hardy did have to ADR all his lines for The Dark Knight Rises in the end as his on set dialogue was too muffled for audiences.

Don't really remember issues in Interstellar.

I think with Intersteller Nolan specifically said certain moments of the film the soundtrack should over take the voice work ( in scenes where its just heavy breathing..panic sounds) and SFX, most notably the "docking" scene, apparently a lot of cinemas thought it was a sound mistake and turned it down.

Arrival - I had heard some poor reviews of this sci-fi from Denis Villeneuve but it grabbed me from the beginning and kept me enthralled until the end credits, loved it. Just seemed right to me, gave you something to think about. 5/5

Godfather - I end up watching this every few years and I enjoyed it more than previously. Quite long and you need keen eyes and ears to understand whom is whom (more so than most films) but very good. Was particularly good to watch it with someone who had never watched it before... such shock and what to my mind are such 'obvious' scenes.... a victim of its own success.

Michael's character change is still a bit odd to me.

Still think marlon looks like a hamster :D

8.5/10

So I just finished the Godfather Part 2.

Eh... really not sure about this one. The bits with Robert De Niro are by far away the most entertaining, compared with the relatively dull Pacino sections. Having seen the film at least 3 times now it's still ridiculously hard to follow...

With so many names flying around it's impossible to understand how Michael knew Fredo had betrayed him on an initial watch - frankly ridiculous that such a pivotal plot point is hidden within the most threadbare of dialogue... and so what that they had met before! Could have been any reason why he lied but nope straight in there with guessing he was betrayed... and it never even explained the extent of the betrayal and what Fredo actually did :confused:

Really not as good as some make out and nowhere near as entertaining as the first... particularly when the enquiry section starts. Even reading back the plot on wikipedia now highlights how the Pacino sections go all over the place.

5/10

Edit - Actually it's hilarious that you barely get any more information in the whole duration of the film on the Pacino sections than this short synopsis from wiki. In fact this makes it far clearer.

In 1958, during his son's First Communion party at Lake Tahoe, Michael Corleone has a series of meetings in his role as the Don of his crime family. Corleone caporegime Frank Pentangeli is dismayed that Michael will not help him defend his Brooklyn territory against the Rosato brothers, who work for Michael's business partner Hyman Roth. That night, Michael leaves Nevada after surviving an assassination attempt at his home.

Michael suspects Roth of planning the assassination, but meets with him in Miami and feigns ignorance. In New York, Pentangeli attempts to maintain Michael's façade by making peace with the Rosato family but they attempt to kill him.

Roth, Michael, and several of their partners travel to Havana to discuss their future Cuban business prospects under the cooperative government of Fulgencio Batista; Michael becomes reluctant after reconsidering the viability of the ongoing Cuban Revolution. On New Year's Eve, he tries to have Roth and Roth's right-hand man Johnny Ola killed, but Roth survives when Michael's bodyguard is discovered and shot by police. Michael accuses his brother Fredo of betrayal after Fredo inadvertently reveals that he'd met with Ola previously. Batista abruptly abdicates due to rebel advances; during the ensuing chaos, Michael, Fredo, and Roth separately escape to the United States. Back home, Michael learns that his wife Kay has miscarried.

In Washington, D.C., a Senate committee on organized crime is investigating the Corleone family. Having survived the earlier attempt on his life, Pentangeli agrees to testify against Michael, who he believes had double-crossed him, and is placed under witness protection.

Fredo is returned to Nevada, where he privately explains himself to Michael: resentful at being passed over to head the family, he helped Roth in expectation of something in return—unaware, he claims, of the plot on Michael's life. Michael responds by disowning Fredo.

Unable to get to the heavily-guarded Pentangeli, Michael instead brings Pentangeli's Sicilian brother to the hearing. On seeing his brother, Pentangeli denies his previous statements, and the hearing dissolves in an uproar. Afterwards, Kay reveals to Michael that her miscarriage was actually an abortion, and that she intends to take their children away from Michael's criminal life. Outraged, Michael takes custody of the children and banishes Kay from the family.

Carmela Corleone dies. At the funeral, Michael appears to forgive Fredo but later orders caporegime Al Neri to assassinate him out on the lake.

Roth is refused asylum and even entry to Israel and is forced to return to the United States. Over the dissent of consigliere Tom Hagen, Michael sends caporegime Rocco Lampone to intercept and shoot Roth on arrival. Rocco, however, is shot dead by federal agents after completing his mission.

At the witness protection compound, Hagen reminds Pentangeli that failed plotters against the Roman Emperor often committed suicide and assures him that his family will be cared for. Pentangeli later slits his wrists in his bathtub.

Michael sits alone by the lake at the family compound.

Last edited:
The Happening - 0.0000001/10

There is nothing to recommend this film.

The "bad guy"/threat in this film is the trees and the grass. You watch it like you might stare at the scene of a horrific accident. "How did this happen?" you ask yourself.

Strong contender for worst film I've ever seen.

The Happening - 0.0000001/10

There is nothing to recommend this film.

The "bad guy"/threat in this film is the trees and the grass. You watch it like you might stare at the scene of a horrific accident. "How did this happen?" you ask yourself.

Strong contender for worst film I've ever seen.
I've seen a LOT of horror films and that lawnmower scene really freaked me out!

So I just finished the Godfather Part 2.

Eh... really not sure about this one. The bits with Robert De Niro are by far away the most entertaining, compared with the relatively dull Pacino sections. Having seen the film at least 3 times now it's still ridiculously hard to follow...

With so many names flying around it's impossible to understand how Michael knew Fredo had betrayed him on an initial watch - frankly ridiculous that such a pivotal plot point is hidden within the most threadbare of dialogue... and so what that they had met before! Could have been any reason why he lied but nope straight in there with guessing he was betrayed... and it never even explained the extent of the betrayal and what Fredo actually did :confused:

Really not as good as some make out and nowhere near as entertaining as the first... particularly when the enquiry section starts. Even reading back the plot on wikipedia now highlights how the Pacino sections go all over the place.

5/10

Edit - Actually it's hilarious that you barely get any more information in the whole duration of the film on the Pacino sections than this short synopsis from wiki. In fact this makes it far clearer.

In 1958, during his son's First Communion party at Lake Tahoe, Michael Corleone has a series of meetings in his role as the Don of his crime family. Corleone caporegime Frank Pentangeli is dismayed that Michael will not help him defend his Brooklyn territory against the Rosato brothers, who work for Michael's business partner Hyman Roth. That night, Michael leaves Nevada after surviving an assassination attempt at his home.

Michael suspects Roth of planning the assassination, but meets with him in Miami and feigns ignorance. In New York, Pentangeli attempts to maintain Michael's façade by making peace with the Rosato family but they attempt to kill him.

Roth, Michael, and several of their partners travel to Havana to discuss their future Cuban business prospects under the cooperative government of Fulgencio Batista; Michael becomes reluctant after reconsidering the viability of the ongoing Cuban Revolution. On New Year's Eve, he tries to have Roth and Roth's right-hand man Johnny Ola killed, but Roth survives when Michael's bodyguard is discovered and shot by police. Michael accuses his brother Fredo of betrayal after Fredo inadvertently reveals that he'd met with Ola previously. Batista abruptly abdicates due to rebel advances; during the ensuing chaos, Michael, Fredo, and Roth separately escape to the United States. Back home, Michael learns that his wife Kay has miscarried.

In Washington, D.C., a Senate committee on organized crime is investigating the Corleone family. Having survived the earlier attempt on his life, Pentangeli agrees to testify against Michael, who he believes had double-crossed him, and is placed under witness protection.

Fredo is returned to Nevada, where he privately explains himself to Michael: resentful at being passed over to head the family, he helped Roth in expectation of something in return—unaware, he claims, of the plot on Michael's life. Michael responds by disowning Fredo.

Unable to get to the heavily-guarded Pentangeli, Michael instead brings Pentangeli's Sicilian brother to the hearing. On seeing his brother, Pentangeli denies his previous statements, and the hearing dissolves in an uproar. Afterwards, Kay reveals to Michael that her miscarriage was actually an abortion, and that she intends to take their children away from Michael's criminal life. Outraged, Michael takes custody of the children and banishes Kay from the family.

Carmela Corleone dies. At the funeral, Michael appears to forgive Fredo but later orders caporegime Al Neri to assassinate him out on the lake.

Roth is refused asylum and even entry to Israel and is forced to return to the United States. Over the dissent of consigliere Tom Hagen, Michael sends caporegime Rocco Lampone to intercept and shoot Roth on arrival. Rocco, however, is shot dead by federal agents after completing his mission.

At the witness protection compound, Hagen reminds Pentangeli that failed plotters against the Roman Emperor often committed suicide and assures him that his family will be cared for. Pentangeli later slits his wrists in his bathtub.

Michael sits alone by the lake at the family compound.
actually hilarious is reading this "review" followed by the I've seen a lot of horror films... post.
Not sure if intentional, no offence!

actually hilarious is reading this "review" followed by the I've seen a lot of horror films... post.
Not sure if intentional, no offence!
Not intentional - although I don't really get why it's funny other than perhaps 'oh lol such unsophisticated tastes'... which would be a bit harsh from just saying I was disappointed by one film!

Not intentional - although I don't really get why it's funny other than perhaps 'oh lol such unsophisticated tastes'... which would be a bit harsh from just saying I was disappointed by one film!
I'm not suggesting your taste is unsophisticated, just that the godfather part 2 is widely regarded as one of the best sequels ever made with good reason, not least that it doesn't just trot out a lesser version of the first. In terms of being hard to follow I'd avoid all David Lynch entirely despite the fact that horror from the east has been borrowing from him for the last 2 decades.
I just found it incongruous to followup that review of the godfather part 2 with a defence of a movie based on one scene and thought you might be on a wind up!

Obviously all artistic opinion is subjective, if in the light of day you found Godfather part 2 to be on a par with the happenings imdb rating, that is what you thought!

I'm not suggesting your taste is unsophisticated, just that the godfather part 2 is widely regarded as one of the best sequels ever made with good reason, not least that it doesn't just trot out a lesser version of the first. In terms of being hard to follow I'd avoid all David Lynch entirely despite the fact that horror from the east has been borrowing from him for the last 2 decades.
I just found it incongruous to followup that review of the godfather part 2 with a defence of a movie based on one scene and thought you might be on a wind up!

Obviously all artistic opinion is subjective, if in the light of day you found Godfather part 2 to be on a par with the happenings imdb rating, that is what you thought!
Haha don't worry I think the Happening is a turd of a film :D just that one scene stood out!

I still maintain that the whole Fredo thing mentioned in my spoiler above is unduly vague.

Back
Top Bottom