What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Dunkirk 8/10

Fantastic visuals & sound in 4k. First film in a while that genuinely made me feel emotional with some of the scenes. If you want a movie where one man takes on the whole German army Rambo style, then look elsewhere. However if you want a film which you can feel a part of then give it a go.

Anyone who moaned about the lack of action & blood /guts just doesn't get the film IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
The Great Wall - 3/10

Matt Damon's accent was ridiculous. It felt like Lord of The Rings Two Towers but not as awesome. Visuals were nice. For a 90 minute movie it didn't half drag.

Soldato
The Librarian - Return to King Solomon's Mines. 5/10.

SWMBO just discovered the Librarian TV series on Now so we had to watch one of the movies.

Okay in parts but very lightweight - Romancing The Stone meets Indiana Jones and rather short given the subject matter, resulting in a confused blur of locations visited. And the introduction of the true bad guy was so obvious, stood out like a sore thumb!

Soldato
Fell asleep watching Valerian and the blahblah last night...
Well, it was colourful at least. Probably would have been more enjoyable in a brain off, whatever kind of way if I wasn't constantly annoyed by Valerian. This irritating, ill looking douchebronozzle is meant to be an irresistible ladies man?

Associate
The Foreigner. 8/10

This popped up on Netflix and give it a go. Not your usual Jackie Chan flick and I hadn't seen anything about it so was quite surprised at the direction it took. Jackie Chan is great. I enjoyed it.

8 is a bit generous to me. I watched it last night, maybe 6/7 out of 10. I felt the plot was a bit hackneyed and Gerry Adams might be a bit annoyed about it. The actual fight scenes were pretty good though.

Soldato
The Last Jedi - 8/10.

Awesome opening battle scenes and got the goosebumps once the music started! So............

The Good:
The bombing run.
Benicio Del Toro.
The attack on the battering ram cannon.
The final scenes on the salt planet. When Luke was staring down Kylo and the AT-ATs and when he started battling Kylo - awesome cinematography and backdrops.

The Bad:
The cheesy one liners. I like when the story has the occasional moment, but this was non-stop, why?!
Kylo Ren smashing his helmet I thought was a mistake. The helmet gives a sense of evil and someone to be feared, without it he doesn't really have that.
The final scene with the young kid and the shooting star - i get the point, but that was just bleurrrrrrgh.

The Ugly:
A half dead Carrie fisher pretending to be Mary Poppins. What was that all that about!? The cinema gasped when she 'died' and i thought that was a fitting end to her character, but they have now dragged it our.
First Han and now Luke - why?!

Soldato
10 = for me no film has achieved this. (if you check IMDB for an example top 100 list notice none get an actual 10/10)

9 = All time classics legendary films e.g. Bladerunner, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders etc would get in here. (just)

8 = Great films just short of legendary (quite a wide remit as most of films i really like and class as excellent would fall between 8 - 9) e.g. Interstellar, Cloud Atlas, Brazil, Matrix Trilogy, Inception, 12 monkeys etc)

7/10 = decent enough to very good e.g. John Wick, Captain America Civil War, + loads more

if it gets between 6 - 7 then for me it was worth watching and entertaining a bit but i will probably forget it ie its a bit meh. So a film for me has to maintain a 6 minimum throughout otherwise i'll switch it off (and wikipedia the ending if i need to). But has there ever been a film where the first half has been complete crud 3 out of 10 and the 2nd half has been utterly magnificent at least 8 or 9 ?

Why force yourself to watch complete garbage?

Soldato
Dr Strange: the usual Marvel hokum, however back in the depths of pre-history I was a teenage Dr Strange magazine reader and there's a scene where Strange suddenly appears in iconic pose, cape flared behind him. Gave me goosebumps! Must have triggered some nostalgia centre in my brain.

6/10 Pretty, but at the Thor end of the Marvel spectrum. Includes a +1 for the goosebumps.

Soldato
10 = for me no film has achieved this. (if you check IMDB for an example top 100 list notice none get an actual 10/10)

9 = All time classics legendary films e.g. Bladerunner, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders etc would get in here. (just)

8 = Great films just short of legendary (quite a wide remit as most of films i really like and class as excellent would fall between 8 - 9) e.g. Interstellar, Cloud Atlas, Brazil, Matrix Trilogy, Inception, 12 monkeys etc)

7/10 = decent enough to very good e.g. John Wick, Captain America Civil War, + loads more

if it gets between 6 - 7 then for me it was worth watching and entertaining a bit but i will probably forget it ie its a bit meh. So a film for me has to maintain a 6 minimum throughout otherwise i'll switch it off (and wikipedia the ending if i need to). But has there ever been a film where the first half has been complete crud 3 out of 10 and the 2nd half has been utterly magnificent at least 8 or 9 ?

Why force yourself to watch complete garbage?

Pretty much agree with this.

When looking for a film to watch, I tend to check IMDb to see if it scores 6 or higher to be worth watching.

Tend not to bother with anything in the 5's or lower.

Caporegime
Your Name

For the third time, as it has been added to Amazon Prime (both subbed and dubbed versions).

Still amazing, possibly even better as I could take so much more infromation and detail in as the main story is already known. It is easily one of my all-time favourite films now, gets me all misty-eyed and in the feels (the score is brilliant).

Caporegime
Your Name

For the third time, as it has been added to Amazon Prime (both subbed and dubbed versions).

Still amazing, possibly even better as I could take so much more infromation and detail in as the main story is already known. It is easily one of my all-time favourite films now, gets me all misty-eyed and in the feels (the score is brilliant).

One added to my watch list cheers

Associate
Your Name

Absolutely amazing movie, easily the best film I've watched all year. Def recommend people to watch it before Hollywood get their hands on it and ruin it.

Associate
King of Arthur: Legend of the Sword 6/10

It was an ok way to mindlessly be entertained, and I enjoyed it more than the most recent Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe, but seemed like a total waste of the King Arthur legend. Don't regret seeing it, but equally wouldn't have missed out on anything by not seeing it. The main cast were all watchable too, with no real terribad performances, although some of the dialogue was awful.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The last Jedi 3/10

1 For the Music
1 For a chewie roar
1 For a comfy seat in the cinema with no one behind or in-front of me.

Back
Top Bottom