What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Your scale seems to be off. No point having something that will never exist, on top of that you have nothing for 2 and 1.
7 I would say is average, and is how most people rate it, look at IMDb 7 rated films.
10 should exist, but should be used incredibly rarely. I can think of maybe a couple of films I would rate 10.

7 shouldn't be average. 5 should be average. Otherwise your scale is needlessly skewed.

Soldato
5 should definitely be average. It's exactly half of 10 ;)

Too many people use 7 as average. 7 is a really good score.

I can't think of any film that I rank as a 10. But it needs to be there just in case.

I lumped 1-3 in together as they are just slightly different grades of awful :p

Whilst a 4/10 film is pretty poor, it may have a few redeeming features that make it worth a watch to fans of the genre.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your scale seems to be off. No point having something that will never exist, on top of that you have nothing for 2 and 1.
7 I would say is average, and is how most people rate it, look at IMDb 7 rated films.

I'm in agreement with Ivan on this. 5 is half of 10, and a synonym of average is midpoint. Same way I would rate films out of 10 if I were going to. I know 7 seems to have become the new average, even if it makes no sense using that word. It's too much of this modern score system, which seems as if anything less than 8 isn't worth bothering with. If 7 is average, why rate it out of 10?

Better to rate movies out of 5, much easier to understand what really is average, what's great and what's poor. :)

Soldato
It

A group of bullied kids band together when a shapeshifting monster, taking the appearance of a clown, begins hunting children. Pretty decent film for a horror movie. Would watch again.

Man of Honour
I'm in agreement with Ivan on this. 5 is half of 10, and a synonym of average is midpoint. Same way I would rate films out of 10 if I were going to. I know 7 seems to have become the new average, even if it makes no sense using that word. It's too much of this modern score system, which seems as if anything less than 8 isn't worth bothering with. If 7 is average, why rate it out of 10?

Better to rate movies out of 5, much easier to understand what really is average, what's great and what's poor. :)
But it's not relay average is it. It's still enjoyable. So it's more like good average and so 7.
5 wouldnt be enjoyable and neither would it be terrible.
There's also no point having your own system. As no one else knows it, so you might as well go with the masses.

Last edited:
Soldato
But it's not relay average is it. It's still enjoyable. So it's more like good average and so 7.
5 wouldnt be enjoyable and neither would it be terrible.
There's also no point having your own system. As no one else knows it, so you might as well go with the masses.

Neither good nor bad is average. 5 sums that up perfectly ;)

Meh = average = 5/10

People have been conditioned into thinking good is 10/10 and anything less than 8 is poor.

Soldato

Yep, spot on

Man of Honour
Neither good nor bad is average. 5 sums that up perfectly ;)

Meh = average = 5/10

People have been conditioned into thinking good is 10/10 and anything less than 8 is poor.
Or average in film ratings, average has multiple meanings.
You look at 7rating films on IMDb and they aren't 5s are they. They are still enjoyable.

Caporegime
I do feel people hand out 8, 9 or 10 scores a little too liberally.

Personally, I rate films as follows:

10 - Perfect film, does not yet exist
9 - Will Go down as an all time classic
8 - Brilliant film, just short of being a classic
7 - Very good film with a few flaws
6 - Commendable effort, things I liked, things I didn't
5 - Very average in every way
4 - heavily flawed film
3 - 1 Awful, not even worth a watch

10 should exist, but should be used incredibly rarely. I can think of maybe a couple of films I would rate 10.

7 shouldn't be average. 5 should be average. Otherwise your scale is needlessly skewed.

5 should definitely be average. It's exactly half of 10 ;)

Too many people use 7 as average. 7 is a really good score.

I can't think of any film that I rank as a 10. But it needs to be there just in case.

I lumped 1-3 in together as they are just slightly different grades of awful :p

Whilst a 4/10 film is pretty poor, it may have a few redeeming features that make it worth a watch to fans of the genre.

How long is a piece of string ?

I would just use the easyriderometer :p:D

Soldato
What happened to Monday - 6.5/10 - I quite enjoyed this despite easily guessing one of the two "twists" at the end, however one of the twists caught me completely out which is great. It's a well written story with a great variety of acting styles by Noomi Rapace and some very impressive trickery to make it believable that there are 7 versions of her on the screen at the same time. Once the "set-up" had been accomplished and it turned into a more straight forward action/chase film, it started to feel a bit more generic and lose it's own personality, which was a shame. Glen Close's character was played almost as Maggie Thatcher it seemed at times and her story, along with the nameless/faceless goons, seemed a bit meh.

So a very good sci-fi/dystopian type future at the start of the film leading to a fairly stock chase/action flick by the end.

I guessed the kids weren't being frozen but killed off, that just seemed way too obvious, but I completely missed that "Monday" had betrayed her sisters

*edited for spelling/grammar.

Last edited:
Soldato
What happened to Monday - 6.5/10 - I quite enjoyed this despite easily guessing one of the two "twists" at the end, however one of the twists caught me completely out which is great. It's a well written story with a great variety of acting styles by Noami Rapace and some very impressive trickery to make it believable that there are 7 versions of her on the screen at the same time. Once the "set-up" had been accomplished and it turned into a more straight forward action/chase film it started to feel a bit more generic and lose it's own personality which was a shame. Glen Close was played as Maggie Thatcher it seemed at times and her story, along with the nameless/faceless goons, seemed a bit meh.

So a very good sci-fi/dystopian type future start to the film leading to a fairly stock chase/action flick by the end.

I guessed the kids weren't being frozen but killed off, that just seemed way too obvious, but I completely missed that "Monday" had betrayed her sisters

Yes, I quite liked this film. The major twist was a little predictable though.

Agree with your score pretty much.

Soldato
Dunkirk 7.5/10

Really enjoyed it. Some scenes looked fantastic watching on a projector and I thought the soundtrack really suited it.
Had it cranked up on the home theatre and those first bullets made me jump out of my skin.

Infernal affairs tonight. Only seen the American version so looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom