What film did you watch last night?

Associate
A little late with this but T2 - Trainspotting - having seen the original in the cinema in my mid 20s and now 20 years later it was interesting to see how the characters had changed/aged. I thought the script was decent enough with the main characters all delivering decent performances. Not as graphic and emotionally distressing as the original but I don't think this affected the film as a whole. Solid 7/10.

Associate
Hacksaw Ridge - 6/10

I liked it. Probably would have liked it more at the cinema but I really didn't see what the fuss was about. I don't think it would even make my top 5 war films.

I’d agree with that review, just watched it tonight. The first hour was boring. Think I would have preferred a documentary, the clip at the end was great. Incredible bravery from Desmond Doss.

Caporegime
Mother!

Weird movie, and I had to look up what it meant. Made loads more sense once I found out it was a bunch of Biblical allegory. Trippy, but would not watch again.

6/10

It (2017)

So so SO much better than the old version, stuff actually happened, Pennywise was nice and creepy, and parts were pretty funny. Sophia Lillis is going to grow up to be hawt.

7/10

Soldato
I’d agree with that review, just watched it tonight. The first hour was boring. Think I would have preferred a documentary, the clip at the end was great. Incredible bravery from Desmond Doss.
I'll have to read about the true story, but I couldn't get over (a) how ridiculous it was to start a battle at the bottom of a cliff and have to climb up and (b) why the Japanese didn't just push forward to the cliff as their defence point :confused:

Associate
I'll have to read about the true story, but I couldn't get over (a) how ridiculous it was to start a battle at the bottom of a cliff and have to climb up and (b) why the Japanese didn't just push forward to the cliff as their defence point :confused:

Or indeed why they didn't just cut down the net that allowed the US troops to climb up in the first place.

Associate
The Greatest Showman (2017) - 6/10

Plenty of toe tapping songs, glitz and glamour in this musical, but the more modern pop style doesn’t always fit with the Victorian setting.

The film mostly looks great and the story has strong morals, but doesn’t flow as well as it should and the drama and darker elements are mostly glossed over in favour of having a good time.

Still, if it’s entertainment, powerful songs and dance pieces you’re after, you should enjoy it.

Caporegime
Bladerunner 2049

Ford picks up a pay cheque
Gosling does one line "Drive"
Leto doesn't let up with his staged pretentiousness staggered delivery
Mediocre Score
Ludicrous plot holes
Overlong punchy wunchy fight scenes
Token Replicant rebellion army ham fisted in.

Much to long and riddled with nonsense

6/10

It's getting a 6 not a 5 cause of the eye candy.

Associate
Bladerunner 2049

Ford picks up a pay cheque
Gosling does one line "Drive"
Leto doesn't let up with his staged pretentiousness staggered delivery
Mediocre Score
Ludicrous plot holes
Overlong punchy wunchy fight scenes
Token Replicant rebellion army ham fisted in.

Much to long and riddled with nonsense

6/10

It's getting a 6 not a 5 cause of the eye candy.

I'd give 1/10 sheer utter pants.

Total waste of 2.5hrs of my life.

Gosling is one the most wooden 'actors' ever.

Don't waste your time - Watch the fire go out instead.

Soldato
interstellar - never seen it before but just finished it. I can't believe people rate it - the story is the most badly written pretentious garbage i have ever seen in a mainstream movie. Its like a badly written student film by someone with a child's understanding of physics. I don't know what it is but it isn't a sci-fi movie.

Caporegime
interstellar - never seen it before but just finished it. I can't believe people rate it - the story is the most badly written pretentious garbage i have ever seen in a mainstream movie. Its like a badly written student film by someone with a child's understanding of physics. I don't know what it is but it isn't a sci-fi movie.
It’s proper bilge, aye.

Soldato
Ok over the last few days, rewatched the first two films of the Planet of the Apes and finally sat down to watch War of the Planet of the Apes.

First two films were brilliant, definite 8/10s.

War of the Planet of the Apes 6/10 For me, this movie wasn't great. It was nothing like I was expecting and was different than the first two movies.

Associate
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - 7/10

A solidly fun and entertaining action film.

It doesn’t really have the charm of the original and the plot is a simple rehash of the original, but it manages to stay fresh and exciting thanks to the good range of characters, top special effects and modern take on events.

Plenty of jokes and a warm moral ending make up for the lacklustre villain and predictably cliché romance sub-plots.

Back
Top Bottom