What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Aye, that was a tonk 61 year old lol

Guess he never missed leg day whilst working out in the asylum :D

I think the Dr thing was meant to be Loomis had passed his obsession onto him, he was clear about Myers being taken alive while in the car. Seems like he just got obsessed to the point he wanted to experience what myers did to try and understand him, pretty much says that after the sheriff gets it.

Soldato
OP
I think the Dr thing was meant to be Loomis had passed his obsession onto him, he was clear about Myers being taken alive while in the car. Seems like he just got obsessed to the point he wanted to experience what myers did to try and understand him, pretty much says that after the sheriff gets it.

Yep I got that but considering he is killed immediately after (which I expected to happen as it is Michael Myers - aka pure evil as mentioned several times) it just seemed a bit pointless and unnecessary overall.

I did think
the motion sensor scene in the garden was really well done

Caporegime
I did think
the motion sensor scene in the garden was really well done

Yeah the old lights on lights off getting closer bit. Never noticed but apparently in the credits the music just stops and you hear Myers breathing. So setting it up for a sequel it would seem. Considering he was in a wooden basement i can't see him not being able to escape it.

Also enjoyed the nice little nods to the original, sometimes reversed :)

Soldato
Saw Halloween 2018 last night too, better than I thought it would be.

There was also some guy dressed up walking around the cinema with fake knife and mask lol

Soldato
Bone Tomahawk: recorded it a few weeks ago and... er... there's a scene in there which is now etched into my memory. I look forward to getting dementia now so I can forget it.

As for a score... well, er... it's a fairly brutal but slow paced western with at least one major plot point fail (IMO). But it's very watchable. And brutal. Did I mention brutal?

7/10... ish. Unless you don't like brutality. In which case, Ate/10.

Ok, so how come the cowboys were dragged up the hill into the cave when there was a back entrance a cripple could get in by? Can't help feeling something was cut to bring the film length down... or maybe I was too busy hiding behind my fingers and missed something earlier.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
:(:(
Bone Tomahawk: recorded it a few weeks ago and... er... there's a scene in there which is now etched into my memory. I look forward to getting dementia now so I can forget it.

As for a score... well, er... it's a fairly brutal but slow paced western with at least one major plot point fail (IMO). But it's very watchable. And brutal. Did I mention brutal?

7/10... ish. Unless you don't like brutality. In which case, Ate/10.

Ok, so how come the cowboys were dragged up the hill into the cave when there was a back entrance a cripple could get in by? Can't help feeling something was cut to bring the film length down... or maybe I was too busy hiding behind my fingers and missed something earlier.

Two scenes for me in that film. The pregnant woman and getting dinner ready

Soldato
Se7en, first watch.

Lacked the tension everything was fairly predictable, not too sure why it's rated that highly. Perhaps the ending chapter, even if it was a little unplausible. The twist in the end play did round it off nicely.

Associate
First Man
7/10, a bit disjointed in places, and weird emphasis on secondary characters with none on some of the primary players. Great sound and music, good visuals, feels like you're in the cockpit half the time. Could have been done better but Armstrong is notoriously hard subject matter, worth a watch.

Soldato
Hong Hai Xing Dong.

AKA "Operation Red Sea" - 7/10 -
At 2hrs 18mins long this Chinese modern war film is 2hrs of very well executed action footage and 18 mins of plot, so once the action starts it only ever breaks its frenetic pace for a few moments at a time when the Plot is advanced, moving the action between set pieces. This film borrows extremely heavily from the French film "Special Forces", both in tone and visuals, but still retains enough character to stand alone with some great use of practical effects over the more common "CGI-fest" films of modern times, reminding me of the practical action scenes "Battle LA" only replacing the CGI Aliens with terrorists. However the film, for me anyway, suffers from being a little obvious with its propaganda (not a dirty word!). Where Hollywood movies of the same type aren't so obviously "USA, USA We're Number 1" etc anymore this feels almost like a Team America style "China, **** Yeah!" is far too many places however those scenes are usually kept very short.

I watched the Chinese language version, rather than the dubbed, and the cast do a very good job of making you care about them from the start and they're shown bonding at the start with the obvious impact once they get hurt which is something Hollywood rarely gets right anymore. However some of the "look" of the film feels at times more like a episode of 24, The Unit or Ultimate Force but with a much better budget but for my first "Chinese War Film" it was better than I expected.

Associate
Saw these two beauties last nite :):):)
FOTA has my absolute fav American actress in it, Sandie (for us fans :)) Bullock....she is REALLY the MOST versatile actress in showbiz today :)
p26034_v_v8_ac.jpg

....and The Devil's Advocate, with two of the greatest actors ever in cinema, side by side......sensational storyline and great acting :)
412V45HSJTL._SY445_.jpg

Associate
Halloween (2018) - Caught a Gallery viewing of it last night at the Odeon with the missus. Has a slow start, but once it gets going, its brutal and entertaining. Well worth a watch if your a fan of the original, but it doesn't quite have the simplicity or suspense that Carpenter created. Enjoyed it overall, but I wish they had cut a few bits out that were not necessary for the plot, I also think Michael was shown too much on screen throughout also.

7.5/10

Soldato
Halloween (2018)

It had a promising start. The first scene and opening credits made me think it was going to get under my skin and creep me out on a psychological level. Excellent soundtrack.

But then after about the first third it became formulaic horror. It wasn't even scary or frightening though. The jump scares didn't work, and Michael Myers became increasingly cartoonish as the film went on. There were moments where I was directing it in my head thinking some scenes would have spooked me had they been done another way.

Jamie Lee Curtis was reduced to playing a one-dimensional crazy woman. There were a couple of characters who I would have liked to see more of. With that said I think the pacing was well done and it was an entertaining watch.

6/10

Soldato
Operation Red Sea - 7/10

On Evangelions recommendation we watched this last night. Overall really enjoyed it for a switch the brain off action movie and probably enjoyed it more than if it was a western film of the same calibre. The main differences being you had the suspense of genuinely not knowing who, if anyone, was going to survive as they had no qualms about bumping off the protaganists and civilians with abandon.

Technically, it seemed quite a naive film, the plot mechanisms and delivery were very old school and there were so many scenes that seemed to be lifted from countless other films, some cheesy dialogue and delivery at times (maybe the subtitles don't help with that) but still, it worked...you cared about the characters and it had some great action and suspense scenes.

It was definitely made for 3D as well! :p

Soldato
My word, the teeth! Never seen anything like some of them :)

I had this comment in mind whilst watching it tonight, certainly makes you appreciate modern dentistry!

As for the restoration of that historical footage to 'flesh it out', what can you say...Thanks for the incredible job you did there Peter.

Soldato
Ready player one - was nice change over the usual films I've watched recently which were mission impossible and eye in the sky

Fully enjoyed the animation and story could have been a little less cheesier but not bad

Back
Top Bottom