What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I've just seen Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Tricky movie, not as eventful as other Tarantino movies, but it got a great cinematography and filming. It might be better on a second viewing, but that would have to wait until it's released on dvd. At the moment I probably would score it 6/10. In some ways a typical Tarantino ending though.

Soldato
High Life. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4827558/

I guess something kept me watching for quite a while but I really can't be bothered to carry on, though I can't point my finger as to exactly why. Quite graphic and a little shocking at times but maybe it was just too slow.

I quite liked this to be honest. But then I'm a bit of a sucker for quirky indie sci-fi films :p

Soldato
Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood

Amazing, but not for everyone. One my favourite Tarantino movies to date, I do hope he continues to make more movies as it would be a huge waste for him not to continue.

I'm a huge Dicaprio fan, I'd probably go as far to say he's my favourite actor of all time (not necessarily the best of course, but he's made more movies that I've consistently enjoyed than any other actor), but Pitt was epic here and for me, he totally stole the show. That being said there were a few scenes with Dicaprio where I don't think I breathed.

The scene with Bruce Lee was a difficult watch. I've always been a huge fan of his life, work, martial arts, philosophy etc. so to see him portrayed as arrogant and cocky, only to get beaten in a fight by a stunt double, is very disheartening. However, I wasn't around in those times, and there are allegations that Bruce could be full of hot air. I've never been a huge believer in Kung Fu/Wing Chun/Jeet Kun Do as being particularly useful in a genuine fight either, as apposed to something like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Muay Thai, but the scene made me uneasy. I know it's not portraying a real life scene and is likely completely fictional in nature, but some critics have praised the reality of the times shown in this film, so perhaps there is some truth to it - but who really knows?

Not entirely sure of the point of Margot Robbie's character...?!

Soldato
Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood

Amazing, but not for everyone. One my favourite Tarantino movies to date, I do hope he continues to make more movies as it would be a huge waste for him not to continue.

I'm a huge Dicaprio fan, I'd probably go as far to say he's my favourite actor of all time (not necessarily the best of course, but he's made more movies that I've consistently enjoyed than any other actor), but Pitt was epic here and for me, he totally stole the show. That being said there were a few scenes with Dicaprio where I don't think I breathed.

The scene with Bruce Lee was a difficult watch. I've always been a huge fan of his life, work, martial arts, philosophy etc. so to see him portrayed as arrogant and cocky, only to get beaten in a fight by a stunt double, is very disheartening. However, I wasn't around in those times, and there are allegations that Bruce could be full of hot air. I've never been a huge believer in Kung Fu/Wing Chun/Jeet Kun Do as being particularly useful in a genuine fight either, as apposed to something like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Muay Thai, but the scene made me uneasy. I know it's not portraying a real life scene and is likely completely fictional in nature, but some critics have praised the reality of the times shown in this film, so perhaps there is some truth to it - but who really knows?

Not entirely sure of the point of Margot Robbie's character...?!

Whilst overall I didn't enjoy the film my favourite scene was
Brad Pitt at Spahn Ranch

Associate
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) - 9/10

An overly indulgent love letter to the late 60’s American movie business that takes a long time to get going, but is worth it in the end.

Meticulously crafted in setting and style with great acting and a good cast of characters, it held my interest throughout, although I was wondering what the point of it was for a long time.

Cleverly put together with plenty of colour and good music and although the ending was funny, it did feel rather unnecessary.

Soldato
OP
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 7/10

It is good and definitely worth a watch, at least once. Some parts do seem to drag and it feels a bit long overall but I can't say I was ever bored as its so well directed, shot and scripted any conversation is still interesting. But I will say Tarantino brings it all together at the end with a brilliant ending. It seemed a bit out of place but I thought it was great.

Brad Pitt's character stole the show for me. However I do feel once you've seen it once and know the ending it may not be as impactful another time. I would have given it a higher score as it is very much the kind of movie you have to just let yourself get sucked into and enjoy the typically 'mundane' parts of the film but I did factor in the reduced impact of the ending a second time.

Soldato
Godzilla King of the Monsters - 3/10 (8/10 for the Monsters alone) - These films need to go back to their origins as a Monster flick rather than wasting 2/3 of the film on an utterly rubbish "human" story which makes absolutely bugger all difference to the film other than to waste time because CGI costs so much. On the other side the Monster vs Monster stuff was really good and and I enjoyed what little I could see considering all the CGI rain, clouds, dust, fire and a billion other effects which prevent you actually seeing the monsters, but when all that crap disappears you get some really stunning shots!

Associate
The 12th Man 2017 (Netflix) - 8/10. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers acts plays the part of a feared SS Officer with aplomb.

Not your typical war film, simply leaves you feeling, very humble that the film is based on fact and these hero's existed.

Caporegime
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019)

Loved it. One of my favourite films this year. Everyone was great in it. So perfectly randomly pointless but compelling to watch. Great camera work, tension and the ending that had the whole room laughing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom