What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
John Wick 3 7/10

Not sure on this one, the action scenes were well done but tended to go on a little too long at times.

Really enjoyed the first one as it had a decent story. This one was a bit run, fight, run fight, run fight.

How he managed to survive at the end I don't know, should have made the fall less 'hard' and more believable

Caporegime
I would however avoid the following at all costs,

Super Mario Bros (1993)
Doom (2005)
Doom isn't bad at all. Sure it's never going to win an Oscar, but it really doesn't deserve to be singled out for a critical panning :p Not in world where Prometheus exists...

Anyhoo. This week I have mostly been watching Sci-Fi.

ARQ (Netflix) - 7/10. Really enjoyed this. Netflix is slowly winning me over. Warning: time travel involved - don't look too hard for plot holes :p

Arrivals - 7/10. Very slow start. Takes a long time to get mildly interesting. By the end it's starting to get fun, but then it's over. Nonetheless an interesting film which didn't show all it's cards in the first 10 mins, like a lot of films these days are wont to do.

Blame! (Netflix) - 7/10. Stylish, compelling anime with a decent story. Again starts fairly slowly but builds nicely. Was quite disappointed when it ended, because it leaves so much unsaid; you barely scratch the surface of what's going on.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Predator (2018) - the most fetid loose stool water of a film I've seen in a long time. Cringingly bad.
I believe you must be mistaken.

There have been no Predator films since P2. And no Aliens films since "Aliens". They don't exist.

It's funny to hear people talking about these non-existent films tho. Must be some kind of collective hallucination, where you all fantasise about an endless stream of poop utterly destroying a much beloved franchise. Good thing it never happened tho.

Maybe one day they'll release a new Alien or Predator film. They must be waiting for a really good script that's worthy of the franchise.

Caporegime
John Wick 3 7/10

Not sure on this one, the action scenes were well done but tended to go on a little too long at times.

Really enjoyed the first one as it had a decent story. This one was a bit run, fight, run fight, run fight.

How he managed to survive at the end I don't know, should have made the fall less 'hard' and more believable

Surprised, I'd give it maybe a 4/10. First one is a 7/10 maybe, second 5.5/10, third worse again.

CGI was bad, the fighting as you say went on way to long and this started in the second film with that utterly stupid scene in the, sewers/flood tunnels/whatever it was. Just walked past somewhere and out pop 2 guys again who couldn't possibly be there. That kept happening in the overly long fights in this film. The bad guys being Wick fanboys was embarrassing. The actual choreography got much much worse in this film. Even from the first he was flipping people over and wasting time for no reason, second one amped that up, this one was ridiculous. Also the killed 5 guys, bunch of guns on the floor, fails to pick one up and leaves and then finds himself without a gun repeated over and over. But in that first longer fight scene there is, a lack of force? Like when he got thrown into shelves it was patently obvious that it was done at a slower speed and sped up such that it felt like they were walking into the shelves rather than being thrown.

When he's being thrown through the glass cases at the end as well, it was ridiculously poorly done. It's like kick, nothing then you see the stunt guy jump backwards, or forwards into the glass case. There was a really obvious disconnect there.

Strange thing is this felt exactly like Matrix 1/2/3, great, worse, awful. The action takes exactly the same path which is odd seeing as the criticism of the Matrix is widely known yet they chose the same path with the progression. The actions scenes used more CGI and less just raw fighting, and because it used more CGI they tried to do more stupid stuff. The fight scenes got longer and longer because they tried to top the previous films but in doing so they made them much much worse.

Also the 'adjudicator' was the dullest actress I've seen, projected absolutely no fear/power/strength, zero charisma, for a key role she was woeful.

Fell into every classic trap of a director trying to top his previous film by making every possible wrong decision. Worse story that makes less sense and ramp up the action in the wrong way.

Soldato
Yeah, I watched John Wick 3 last night and was a little disappointed. I guess I would go 6/10 though. CGI was very noticeable in places.

and the bell hops plot armour was way too thick/obvious. Also hate when a movie ends half way through. This isn't a TV episode, finish the damn story!

Soldato
A little disappointed with John Wick 3 too. The fight scenes were always 'over the top', in that JW style, but this time it was a bit too much.

I think a 5-6/10 would be about right.

Also, I was on tenterhooks because I feared another dog was going to get killed. Wouldn't be the first time!!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
finally filmed the gap in my marvel timeline by watching Captain Marvel

and we both enjoyed it a lot. had the right nostalgia note for us with nods to other movies ,with a great soundtrack.

a solid 7/10

FTM

FTM

Soldato
oh an Grosse Point Blank...just because...I have have seen it many many times

but its always worth watching again, one of my favourite films (it would be hard to seperate this or the fifth element for sheer joyful entertainment)

great story, great cast and wonderful soundtrack...and who doesnt love the thought of a hitmans union

if you are a young film fan who hasnt seen it...seek it out and bask in the nostalgia of the glorious soundtrack and the daftest shootout in a house

Soldato
Sunshine - 5/10

Unwhelmed in the end :( This may have been another film that I've let get hyped in my mind for too long, but it never really gripped me...

The end seemed really rushed and I didn't like the fact that the screen kept blurring up whenever we catch glimpse of the bad guy.

Also, as far as I can tell, you never find out what has happened with the bad guy... So he convinced the rest of the team that it is best to just kill themselves and watch the sun, and he goes with them and is the only one that survives? And then he just lives (somehow) on the ship for the next 7 years going mad... Seemed weird...

Equally weird that the only shot of a frozen Earth was at the end - I feel like I would have been a bit more invested in their mission if they actually showed what sort of devastation it was doing to the planet.

Soldato
Sunshine - 5/10

Unwhelmed in the end :( This may have been another film that I've let get hyped in my mind for too long, but it never really gripped me...

The end seemed really rushed and I didn't like the fact that the screen kept blurring up whenever we catch glimpse of the bad guy.

Also, as far as I can tell, you never find out what has happened with the bad guy... So he convinced the rest of the team that it is best to just kill themselves and watch the sun, and he goes with them and is the only one that survives? And then he just lives (somehow) on the ship for the next 7 years going mad... Seemed weird...
The captain of the first mission goes mad, kills the rest of the crew, and lives on the first ship for years. IIRC, he belives that his close proximity to the sun is communing with god, so he doesn't want his own mission (or the later mission) to change that. He thinks that god has told him to let the sun die, so that all humanity will die and be taken to heaven to be with god. This is why he attacks the second mission when they dock.

Equally weird that the only shot of a frozen Earth was at the end - I feel like I would have been a bit more invested in their mission if they actually showed what sort of devastation it was doing to the planet.
It's a scene of Capa's sister and her children on a dying earth, in the snow, listening to his final message from the ship. Then the dim sun brightens and lights up the whole landscape, indicating that the second mission has succeeded in re-lighting the sun, and the world and it's people have been saved.

Soldato
oh an Grosse Point Blank...just because...I have have seen it many many times

but its always worth watching again, one of my favourite films (it would be hard to seperate this or the fifth element for sheer joyful entertainment)

great story, great cast and wonderful soundtrack...and who doesnt love the thought of a hitmans union

if you are a young film fan who hasnt seen it...seek it out and bask in the nostalgia of the glorious soundtrack and the daftest shootout in a house
Must rewatch this. At the time, I thought the fight scene in the school was one of the best ever put to film!

PayDay Lover
Associate
Interesting. Aquaman is the worst thing i've seen in recent memory, but I thoroughly enjoyed Valarian. Good, light-hearted space romp.

Really? I mean Aquaman was for sure no gem, but I thought it achieved the rather low bar of being DCEU's best film so far. I am not suggesting it is good, but for 'the worst thing seen in recent memory' you must have wisely skipped the rest of DC's offerings :)

Soldato
Really? I mean Aquaman was for sure no gem, but I thought it achieved the rather low bar of being DCEU's best film so far. I am not suggesting it is good, but for 'the worst thing seen in recent memory' you must have wisely skipped the rest of DC's offerings :)

I've seen them all and, for me at least, Aquaman took things to a whole new low! Great to look at and excellent demo material, but the writing, acting, pacing - all god awful. I'd rather watch a 2 hour Jar Jar Binks monolouge that sit through it again.

Caporegime

Man in Steel has a lot going for it and for me is head and shoulders above everything else they've done, by an absolutely insane margin as well.

MoS, while Zod/Superman were utterly stupid to not have a, I'll give you the codex freely, just go colonise a different planet, Zod was cast brilliantly and acted superbly, as was Superman and almost everyone in the film. It had a real tonal feel throughout that felt consistent, the sound track was pretty amazing, it looked great. It's comedy moments were there but didn't feel out of place or out of tone or the moment and worked.

In Aquaman the tone isn't consistent, one moment it's trying to be dark and sinister, the next it's trying to be a rom com(the arriving in the Italian village moments were all cringeworthy crap). It missed the target on all these attempted tones, it wasn't actually funny when they tried to make it funny, it wasn't actually serious/sinister when they tried to be because Momoa can't really act, dark, brooding and not speaking he does well... trying to give a speech where he's got this kind jokey tone/cadence to his speech doesn't work.

Aquaman was poorly cast, poorly acted, tone was all over the place, dialogue was garbage and never sucked me in at all.

Compared to Aquaman, Man of Steel is a straight masterpiece. Compared to Justice League, BvS and most of the rest it's probably around on par. Wonder Woman started off okay but almost everything after they leave the island is all over the place and not very good. I'd still put it a good way ahead of Aquaman.

Back
Top Bottom