1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. fez

Capodecina

I've seen it before in its entirety I am pretty sure but I have definitely seen most of it. I like other films that are of the same ilk but this just missed the mark in every way.

2. Infidelus

Wise Guy

I seem to remember the first time I watched Mars Attacks I didn't really like it. I watched it again some years ago and quite enjoyed it :)

3. checjb

Wise Guy

Works War Z on Film 4. If you ignore the fact that it's nothing like the book, it actually not a bad zombie movie. There are some great scenes but it's still fairly middling.

4. arc@css

Caporegime

5. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I would love to see a TV series made in the episodic manner of the book. I can't believe no one has picked it up in that manner it might as well have been written for it.

6. ElliorR

Sgarrista

I think this has been underrated. With all the superhero films of recent years it's nice to have something that's the antithesis to them for a change.

7. an0nym0us

Hitman

I hated Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets too. In my opinion, the actor who played Valerian seemed totally wrong for the role.

8. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

Yeah, I'd love HBO, Netflix or somebody to do exactly that, although I think it's unlikely now.

9. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Turd of a film, looked pretty but that's about it. Up there with Aquaman as some of the worst films I've seen.

10. IvanDobskey

Soldato

Bang on the money.

It really stank.

11. Uncle Petey

Capodecina

Yup, I couldn't even finish it - which is rare for me.
    The sick looking main actor really wasn't selling me on being some kind of hotshot alpha ladies man for one thing.

Nice visuals, though.

12. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Felt like it was trying to recapture that Fifth Element magic. Fifth Element is one of those rare movies that you know is a bit trashy and bad but it just works and comes together brilliantly.

13. an0nym0us

Hitman

I've not seen Aquaman, and I think I'll continue to avoid it then haha.

14. arc@css

Caporegime

Yep, good point. Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for something that's a little like this? Ta.

15. ElliorR

Sgarrista

If you haven’t seen it then The Boys on Amazon Prime.

16. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

I mentioned Chronicle on the last page when I said about Brightburn, definitely worth a watch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

17. IvanDobskey

Soldato

Fifth element was great fun and had a certain style. Characters actually had some chemistry too. Unlike the steaming pile of excrement that is valerian.

18. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Akira - the Japanese anime.

I’ve watched this many times but it’s only now that I can be honest and say it’s actually not that exciting. Perhaps more ‘important’ than it is good (for introducing western audiences to anime)? The animation is at times excellent but at other times very dated. The characters aren’t really developed at all and the plot can’t carry it through repeated re-runs... you just end up waiting for ‘the good bit’ towards the end which is still pretty slow paced. The ending is also infuriatingly vague.

Definitely worth watching if you haven’t seen it but otherwise 3/5.

19. arc@css

Caporegime

Thanks for the suggestion. I watched it earlier today and loved it.

20. arc@css

Caporegime

Cheers, I will check it out later today.

Edit: forgot to mention that I saw Oldboy last night (Josh Brolin). I thought I had seen part of it before but as it turns out, I must have seen it all. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. Recommended.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 3:52 PM