What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I don't know if it counts as a film but I watched the latest Dave Chappelle special on netflix last night. By far my favorite one yet. I don't know how Dave does it but that man can tell jokes

Associate
Me and the lad (he's 12) watched a couple of John Hughes classics, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Loved them still even after all this time, especially the Breakfast Club, how relevant is this still, a bit cheesy now, but still a classic my boy loved them both.

Soldato
Me and the lad (he's 12) watched a couple of John Hughes classics, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Loved them still even after all this time, especially the Breakfast Club, how relevant is this still, a bit cheesy now, but still a classic my boy loved them both.
Weird Science next?

Associate
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Wow enjoyed that so much more than I expected. I’ve heard the mixed reviews but that was all. There were some fantastic surprises in there and I would love to hear people’s thoughts on the messages in the film. It is obvious now why left leaning media have gone on the attack against Tarantino. I would love to hear what he has to say about it.

As a huge Bruce Lee fan I found the so called “controversial” segment fine, it is completely in the spirit of the film bending reality and a solid establishing scene showing Pitts characters ability to look after himself.

8 /10
Agree with this completely. Managed to go into the film blind but really enjoyed it. Probably rate this in my top 5 tarantino films.

Soldato
John Wick 3 - 6/10

I do like the franchise but at one point I just got bored of the repetitive martial art head shot combos. They need to shorten the fights and move on at a faster pace as the film was getting tiring to watch at over 2 hrs!

I agree, far too much rolling/throwing/unnecessarily graphic stabbings and headshots.

it’s like they’ve run out of ideas already.

Soldato

If anyone asks what my favourite film is, my default answer is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I think I know the whole script as I used to watch it so much as a teenager.

Soldato
Men in Black International - 3/10 - The first film did the "rookie" movie far better, the humour was pretty poor, the story was poor, the script was poor, the twist is obvious despite attempts at redirection, the little CGI pawn character was a poor substitute for the Pug but, whilst the 2 heavy-weight actors (Emma and Liam) were very poor, the two younger leads did OK at best and the CGI was OK, but all that is just lipstick on a bulldog of a film. The woke "strong women rule" lines and situations littered through-out didn't bother me as I'm used to rubbish like that in Hollywood films now but they didn't add anything to the movie either..

Caporegime
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 7/10

Much better than the first. Also, Kurt Russell! In the first film I just about hated every single one of the characters. Not so this time.

Thor Ragnarok - 7/10

Slightly unhinged, but that's probably not a bad thing. There's a limit to how much you can just watch Thor throw his hammer around and bicker with Loki, if every film took itself completely seriously. Thor is becoming dangerously Mary Sue at this point, tho. He almost doesn't need any of the supporting characters because he can single-handedly destroy pretty much everything.

They need to stop rolling Anthony Hopkins out tho. He adds absolutely nothing here besides a completely pointless cameo.

Assbergers - Infinity War - 7/10

I stopped watching this to watch Ragnarok first because it makes zero sense otherwise. Then came back to it.

CGI is becoming the answer to everything. And really intrusive CGI at that. Everybody has nano suits with helmets that just materialise out of nowhere and that's one of my bugbears. I hate that crap. It's just lazy, you know? Lazy story writing. "Oh his suit just flows over him like maple syrup now, because nanomachines, son."

Every single sci-fi film now has this stupid CGI where suits just appear over clothing because nanomachines. Or if not suits, guns, or even entire vehicles. Ugh, enough! /rant

Just because you can physically draw it with CGI doesn't mean it makes any sense or is indeed clever. It's a great crutch, tho. You never have to account for size differences, energy requirements, or anything. A fistful of "nanomachines, son" can build you a tank or a skyscraper in fives seconds flat! And unbuild them into nothingness again! Sorry I just hate it because it's so prevalent and everybody's doing it now :(

/rant (really this time)

Associate
Booksmart 8/10. Total delight of a film and very funny.

Method In The Madness. 7/10 Jason Mewes' directorial debut and was expecting a car crash to be honest but surprised how good it was. Looks and sounds great with some proper laugh out loud moments. If you're fan a Mewes, you'll love it. I am and I did.

Last edited:
Soldato
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) 5/10

The movie should have ended at the desert scene, after this it was like watching another movie.
Non stop action which just seems to drag on.

I was about to post the same. Watched it in the cinema and from the desert scene onwards, it just got tired very quickly.

I do love the opening fight with the knives though.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Have a dilemma on my hands, as it's judgement day today (well, the anniversary date) Vue are showing T1 and T2 back to back this evening.

Can't decide whether to go or not, have half an hour before I'd need to leave for it.

Not seen either on the big screen so is tempting...

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a dilemma on my hands, as it's judgement day today Vue are showing T1 and T2 back to back this evening.

Can't decide whether to go or not, have half an hour before I'd need to leave for it.

Not seen either on the big screen so is tempting...

Do it! You wouldn't have the dilema if you didn't want to see them at the cinema.

Back
Top Bottom