What film did you watch last night?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I was a few too many years short, plus looked half my age at the time lol.

I caved and am now sat on my own waiting for it to start :)

Caporegime
The Hate U Give
Wow, just wow, what a movie. An incredibly powerful depiction of what is I imagine a very very real issue for many Americans right now. Brilliant soundtrack, cinematography, everything. I loved it :)

Well worth a watch!

Associate
Wing Commander (1999) 0/10 this is up there with Battlefield Earth as bad but at least with Battlefield Earth that was laughably bad so has a slight edge at 1/10.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Terminator done, still a decent film if not rather cheesy and very 80s (love it).

Really looking forward to T2 coming up in about half an hour :)

Soldato
So we decided to to watch Once upon a time instead of T1/T2 because we've battered those films out and there's always next year :D

Yeah.... Not feeling it.
We both loved Hateful 8, but this felt mostly pointless, like we could've stepped out for 5-10mins repeatedly and not really missed anything.
Normally, I can just enjoy the usual Tarantino dialogue and character interplay and ignore any story deficiencies, yet this wasn't on that level apart from a few bits here and there.

As for the last scene, yeah it was fun, but talk about out of nowhere and for no real reason.

Each to their own :)

Soldato
Rocketman: Elton John's self produced bio-pic that goes from his early life to his career resurgence in the eighties. Full of his songs merged into the film (more like "Mamma Mia" than "Queen"). It paints no one in a good light (especially those who crossed Elton John apparently). Even Elton John comes across as petulant, hedonistic, vain, angry and generally awful, driven by his huge talent into the world of super stardom, while suffering from the issues caused by the lack of love from his parents. A fantastic and surprisingly accurate performance from Taron Egerton, who looks like a prettier version of John, with a very good impersonation of his singing (though I wouldn't put it past the production to have fed some of Elton's own voice into the mix). Bryce Dallas Howard and Jamie Bell are good as supporting characters. I suppose it's an indication of Elton John's eventual happiness that he's willing to produce his life story, warts and all, but I'm suspicious that like any patron, he's insisted on a nicer portrait than real life, which makes me wonder if he was even more horrible than the film lets on.

Long Shot: Seth Rogan does his usual Hair Bear act as a strident journalist out to save the world one article at a time, forced to resign when his small newspaper is bought by the massive conglomerate he's trying to expose. He meets an old childhood friend (Charlize Theron) who's now a female politician one step from the next US presidency, and takes a job as her speechwriter. It's a standard "boy meets Secretary Of State, boy loses Secretary Of State, boy finds Secretary Of State again" rom com.

I liked the first two thirds when it was more romance than comedy. Despite the fact that Theron is stunningly beautiful, and Rogan looks like a wookie in a fruit salad tracksuit, it's believable that they get together. She's driven, brilliant, beautiful, on her way to being President of the US and out to save the world, but also terribly isolated and alone, having sacrificed everything for her career. Rogan connects with her, and shows her there's more to life than politics. He's good for her, but not for her public image if she wants to be President. There's a few surprisingly raunchy scenes to show how Theron's character is as much human as she is politician.

Where it falls apart is in the last act where it seems as if the writers suddenly realised they had a load of jokes they needed to stuff into the movie. Using a joke done better and done first in "Something About Mary", they rush through the final part of the film to get to the expected happy ending.

Last edited:
Associate
The Informer (2019) - 5/10

An unremarkable action thriller which isn’t particularly good or bad, just mediocre.

It’s a bit boring at times, a bit too cliché at times and a bit implausible at times, but the story is gritty, the action scenes are well put together and the acting and characters are good, if a bit 1 dimensional.

Soldato
Dark Crystal - 4k version - 8/10

It’s the first time I’ve ever seen this film. Somehow it passed me by when I was young. Can’t believe it’s a children’s film, it’s so dark!
The puppetry is very impressive and Henson’s imagination is off the scale :eek:

I’ll watch the new series next I think :)

Caporegime
Deadpool 2 - 7/10 or 6/10, I can't quite decide

The antagonist was irritating as could be, but... I guess it's not so bad to have an atypical bad guy for a change.

Not really much to say; having seen most of the Marvel films this really doesn't offer much besides more of the same. I can't say I wasn't entertained, tho.

Associate

I was so sure this would be a load of excrement. I mean, all fan made movies are terrible, right?

I was glad to be proven wrong -- I thought it was excellent.

It was really well made, had good to very good acting, and was seriously tense. To be honest, this fan movie blows away most(all?) of the movies in the series, on that last point.

Any fans?

Caporegime
Three films recently, if not last night:

Into the Spiderverse: an amazing visual spectacle with impressively varied animation styles and a really strong visual aesthetic, immensely imaginative, and with an excellent soundtrack. Not af all what I expected it to be 10/10.

The Dark Crystal: a classic with lovely puppetry and excellent visual design layered over a pretty weak story and some irritating character choices. Worth watching but not unmissable 6/10

Thor: Ragnarok: a solidly enjoyable romp from the MCU hit factory. It's funny, visually impressive and full of action. Candyfloss, sure, but what candyfloss 8/10

Caporegime
Superman II (Richard Donner Cut).

Good film regardless of which version though I can't say I could tell much difference between them, though that's probably more likely down to my less than expert knowledge on these sort of films. Worth watching - especially for Sarah Douglas... :D

Soldato
Superman II (Richard Donner Cut).

Good film regardless of which version though I can't say I could tell much difference between them, though that's probably more likely down to my less than expert knowledge on these sort of films. Worth watching - especially for Sarah Douglas... :D

For me the Richard Donner cut is great. It's a real shame he didn't get to finish Superman II and release both films as he intended. Michael Thau, who is a film editor, discovered forgotten reels of Donner's footage in WB's vaults. Thanks to him, we can see Superman II more as Donner intended, even if it's still got a certain amount of footage that Lester shot. :p and hats off to Warner Brother for letting Thau do it.

Here's a good video on the troubled production:-

Maybe one day Warner Brothers will allow a cut of Snyder's intended Justice League film to be released. It might still suck, just as Batman v Superman did; but I'd like to see what Snyder intended, for better or worse.

Associate
I've just gotten home from the cinema after seeing The Informer. I would rate it 6/10. Not as much action in it as you could have thought, and the story line is nothing we haven't seen before. Even though I liked the touch that they used polish gangsters instead of the usual bad guys. Kinnaman does a pretty good work in his role, and Ana de Armas is stunning as always.

Back
Top Bottom