1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Beetlejuice.

Haven't watched since I was about 11. It's actually really quite good. There's less actual Beetlejuice in it than I remember, though. He's probably on screen for about 15 minutes or something.

2. Marvt74

Capodecina

I keep looking to rewatch this, but never seem to get round to it. Like you it must be about 20 years since i last saw it.

3. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

A few i've watched since the weekend:

Green Street - 7/10 - football hooligan movie with an american twist in that frodo joins up with Charlie 'can't stick with a single accent' Hunnam to have a few punch ups, hasn't aged too badly. Don't think i've watched it since it came out. I've seen the sequels which are absolute bargain basement DVD quality, this was still really enjoyable.

Jurassic World - 8/10 - pure guilty pleasure, proper brain off silly dinosaur action fun, maybe the 5th or 6th time i've seen it since it came out. Gave a little geek cheer when Chris Pratt is riding through the jungle with the raptors and of course, Blue sprinting down the concourse at the end.

Fantasy Island - 5/10 - inconsistent, poor story, stupid characters but a slow enough story reveal to keep me interested throughout. Barely a horror movie and kept waiting for stories about the leads cousin Ernesto.

4. Screenbeat

Gangster

Thank you! And arc@css

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

The Truman Show

I remember enjoying this a lot when I watched it shortly after its release (on VHS no less!) but time has not been kind to it. It feels very much like an artefact from a very particular period of time and has lost a lot of its impact in the intervening years. Now it feels shallow and heavy handed in a way it didn't nearer its release. Still, I think it's one of Carey's best performances; I'm not generally a fan but he's had a few good roles over the years.

6/10

6. Jono8

Caporegime

Line of Duty

...what the hell was that?

Very odd film that didnt seem to have a clue what it wanted to be. Mildy entertaining but hugely disjointed with ridiculously stupid and comical scenes (the gay body builder) blindsiding you.

Rather annoyed as the clip/trailer that Netflix showed was probably the most serious bit in the whole film. It starts quite well, but then descends into madness.

It is a shame as if they kept the tone more balanced and more serious and got rid of some of the bizarre scenes and embarrassing one liners, it wouldn't have been that bad.

The actress who played the female reporter that follows him is not very good either.

3/10

7. Tombstone

Capodecina

The Eurovision Song Contest Fire Saga on Netflix

7/10 - Cheesy, campy, mindless entertainment. Nothing spectacular, nothing cerebral, a predictable plot, hammy acting all over the place. Yet a decent enough popcorn movie.

8. starmanwarz

Wise Guy

On the Eurovision movie the Greek girl is played by Melissanthi Mahut who also did Kassandra's voice acting in Assassins Creed Odyssey.

She did sound very familiar so I had to look that up.

9. DrToffnar

Mobster

Indeed. Also in almost all respects it's one of the few adaptations that I feel was cast perfectly. There's no actor I felt under or over performed there role and it's an exception to the rule in that when I do a re-read of No Country I see the films cast throughout.

10. Mr Jack

Capodecina

An extraordinary film. Its party trick of making the entire film look like it was shot in just two takes gives it a feel quite unlike anything else. Closer, more personal, more claustrophobic, it keeps you much closer to the people in the action. Combined a fantastic score and some wonderful visual choices and you have a brilliantly engrossing film. I also very much enjoyed the very British feel of the film in the accents and vocabulary; it wasn't period accurate but rather chosen to give that impression, which I think was a valid choice. But the overall story is a bit shallow, and the continuous take approach is very limiting in what kind of story and action it can deliver, and so it falls a little short of true greatness.

A must watch 9/10

11. Sean34

Gangster

Last few nights:

No Retreat, No Surrender: International Version.:o

Poor music, pacing, inappropriate training segments:p

@ 43s - 57s

The version we all grew up watching (on VHS) isn't exactly a classic, but it was far more entertaining.

40 days and 40 Nights (2002)

"After a brutal break-up, a young man vows to stay celibate during the forty days of Lent, but finds the girl of his dreams and is unable to do anything about it."

Road House (1989)

"A tough bouncer is hired to tame a dirty bar."

12. Warbie

Soldato

That's a guily pleasure of mine. The throat ripping move is impossible to do. Ask my little brother.

13. arc@css

Caporegime

American Pie. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163651/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Not normally my sort of film genre but I recall cracking up when watching this back many moons ago, hence wanting to check it out again.

The Dad in this is simply brilliant and I like to think that by the end of the film, a majority of the audience more than likely will have secretly warmed to him.

Oh, and Alyson Hannigan is so cute. :)

14. jubei

Mobster

The Thing (1982)

This was brilliant, I can't believe that i haven't watched it before now. The effects were still decent even now and it was infinitely better than the remake that i watched at some point in the last couple of years. 8/10

15. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Total classic! I believe that more recent one was a prequel, rather than a remake (but I'm not certain: I've not seen it). Believe it or not, they used practical effects for that newer one, but the studio insisted they re-did it all with CGI. Of course, as we all know, it turns out that practical effects are sooooo much better than CGI, so they should have left it in.

16. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

@jubei @cheesyboy there are some show reels on YouTube of the original thing prequel practical effects.

17. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

A Rainy a Day in New York

Really enjoyed this one (though admit am a long time fan of Woody Allen) 8/10

....have since gone on to re-watch Manhatten and Sleeper for the nostalgia:)

18. arc@css

Caporegime

Sleeper is hilarious in places. :)

19. Tombstone

Capodecina

Closest film to a 10 out of 10 for me, that I've ever seen

20. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Man I need to rewatch The Thing soon. Absolute classic. Not quite as good as Alien, but not far off.