What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I 100% prefer watching films without trailers if I can get away with it.

They very often throw in spoilers, or change expectations.

Normally if I get a recommendation, a bit of a read of the blurb on IMDB and a look at the score (which is an indicator at least). If the story sounds interesting and the score is good then I'll just go watch it rather than watching trailers.

Soldato
Trailers are deliberately made and marketed to give loads of the movie away. Something like 70/80% of film goers that are regularly surveyed say they want trailers of this style so they know exactly what they are getting.

These are commonly known as cinema 'casuals' and make up the majority of box office takings, therefore studios pander to the request and essentially show you a cut down version of the entire movie across 2 and a half minutes.

I'll generally watch an early teaser but avoid full length trailers.

Caporegime
change expectations

That’s my reason for avoiding them for the most part. If it’s some big blockbuster that I know I’ll watch anyway then it’s no concern.

Excellent trailers mean you go into the film expecting it to be brilliant, I’ve been burned so many times with those.

Then there are trailers I’ve watched that are really poorly put together and the film has been superb.

Like you, I look at scores on RT, IMDB or metacritic, read the gist of the story and then make my decision from that. I don’t want to see pieces of the film and to piece things together (sometimes subconsciously) before watching it.

Soldato
That’s my reason for avoiding them for the most part. If it’s some big blockbuster that I know I’ll watch anyway then it’s no concern.

Excellent trailers mean you go into the film expecting it to be brilliant, I’ve been burned so many times with those.

Then there are trailers I’ve watched that are really poorly put together and the film has been superb.

Like you, I look at scores on RT, IMDB or metacritic, read the gist of the story and then make my decision from that. I don’t want to see pieces of the film and to piece things together (sometimes subconsciously) before watching it.

Yeah it's a voyage of discovery then, all new footage etc. Especially when watching films where it feeds you info and lets you interpret stuff, like Shutter Island and Get Out, which are both kind of mysterious.

Definitely the way forward! :)

Soldato
1 and 2 were good I think, but the recent ones not so much (in my opinion anyway).

I really like Salvation...sure it's not the future war movie we all wanted but i've watched numerous times and it's great...until the end when the Terminator is flinging John around instead of just grabbing him and snapping his neck.

Back
Top Bottom