What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Hitmans wifes bodyguard 7/10

About on par with the first. Very Stupid, silly casual violence and Salma Hayek swearing non stop for a bout 90 minutes. (Strangely sexy) ((not strange, very obviously))

The writers have a sense of humour extremely close to my own, random as **** at times.

Soldato
Gone girl and was pleasantly surprised to see Emily Ratajkowski in it.

Read the book if you can, and check out the HBO Sharp Objects (series or book), and Dark Places (book/film) - pretty much all Gillian Flynn's novels are fantastically dark.

I wil send you to the mains of hell where people are skinned alive! Are you crazy, is that that your problem? No he means it Jack!! :D

"You come out no more!"
"What? Huh? What'll come out no more?" ;)

Soldato
Hitmans wifes bodyguard 7/10

About on par with the first. Very Stupid, silly casual violence and Salma Hayek swearing non stop for a bout 90 minutes.

Just watched this myself and I'm with you, 7/10. It's silly, but my kind of silly. If you're a Ryan Reynolds fan there are a few jokes in there that others might not get ("Where did they get that photo from?!" - ugly sweater for SickKids from YouTube)

Soldato
La La Land - 7/10

I finally got around to watching this the other night, not my kind of thing at all but had seen a few scenes from it on film insta's I subbed to and was curious.

It's a wonderfully happy go lucky movie, Emma Stone is a delight to watch and even Gosling who i'm not a huge fan of was pretty good. I doubt i'll rewatch ever again but there are far worse ways I could have spent a few hours.

Hadn't realised it was same director as Whiplash which imo is a far superior film. The problem with La La Land is there is no real conflict, risk, adversity, you always know it would have a happy, albeit bittersweet ending.

Permabanned
Fear street 1994, 1978 and 1666

Uninspired and derivative dross. It was JUST charming enough in places to keep me engaged but the clash of tones annoyed me and the lack of solid direction really started to niggle half way through the second one. I dunno, I'm done with the epidemic of passable horror these days. So much memberberry nonsense in all three film. Got no issue with call back culture or revamping subgenres, just do it better. I just don't have the patience for it anymore and if my partner hadn't wanted to finish the trilogy after the first one I wouldn't have bothered.

Soldato
Fear street 1994, 1978 and 1666

Uninspired and derivative dross. It was JUST charming enough in places to keep me engaged but the clash of tones annoyed me and the lack of solid direction really started to niggle half way through the second one. I dunno, I'm done with the epidemic of passable horror these days. So much memberberry nonsense in all three film. Got no issue with call back culture or revamping subgenres, just do it better. I just don't have the patience for it anymore and if my partner hadn't wanted to finish the trilogy after the first one I wouldn't have bothered.

I was toying with starting this last night as generally it seems to be getting favourable mentions. Watched the trailer and looked like Stranger Things Lite Horror, nothing I hadn't seen a hundred times before, adding nothing new to the genre and pandering to horror casuals. Your post seems to cement these concerns, i'll probably still give part 1 a decent go just to see if it sticks.

Man of Honour
I had the misfortune of watching The New Mutants...good lord Marvel. All that money you have and you come out with this dross. An essentially pointless movie where nothing particularly happens involving characters with some of the worst superpowers going, seriously give me 10 minutes and I could give a list of better superpowers for characters and a lesbian relationship so forcibly thrust jarringly into the storyline that its a blatant boxticker relationship. Fyi before anyone jumps on me for that last point, I've got no issue with such things but they have to fit within the greater context and have to be natural character development, this was neither.

2/10

Man of Honour
I was toying with starting this last night as generally it seems to be getting favourable mentions. Watched the trailer and looked like Stranger Things Lite Horror, nothing I hadn't seen a hundred times before, adding nothing new to the genre and pandering to horror casuals. Your post seems to cement these concerns, i'll probably still give part 1 a decent go just to see if it sticks.

I enjoyed them but I went into them expecting what I got. Popcorn horror a la Stranger Things, I wasnt expecting any revolutionary or groundbreaking horror , truth be told I dont find that any movie qualifies as horror, nor has it for 40 years, I havent found a movie scary for 4 decades. As I went into it expecting something formulaic, bit cheesy etc, I was able to find it as enjoyable and watchable as Stranger Things, Halloween, Friday the 13th and so on. Sometimes its nice to be able to get your cheese on and enjoy some Buffy the Vampire Slayer like "horror" :D

Back
Top Bottom