What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
6/10 is far too generous to Halloween Kills.

The script was awful, the acting was quite poor in places and everybody was an absolute moron. They mostly deserved to die because of their own stupidity.

The sequence in the hospital with the old man was absolutely laughable. A mob of 50 people can't keep up with a frail old fat man?

Red Letter Media's take - Same as mine really.

Soldato
Dune - 5/10

What a waste that was

Literally nothing happens in the film!! :confused:, granted i haven't read any of the books but as a movie experience its right down low.

Nice to look at but that's it

Caporegime
Similar taste to me. I'm not one for jump scares or hack and slash. The first The Ring was always one that stood out for me, then the sequels were rubbish just like The Conjuring, Insidious etc.

Me too, one that I really liked that I don't often see recommended is Oculus with Karen Gillan, I though that was a great 'non jump scare' horror.

Soldato
Not a fan of jump scare horror here either, although if done well, it can be very effective.

Not a movie but the series Haunting of Hill House has one of the best jump scares i've ever seen and that's in a series which is thankfully almost devoid of any jumpscares throughout. The scare fits the moment, makes sense in retrospect and isn't a cheap scare.

Soldato
Not a fan of jump scare horror here either, although if done well, it can be very effective.

Not a movie but the series Haunting of Hill House has one of the best jump scares i've ever seen and that's in a series which is thankfully almost devoid of any jumpscares throughout. The scare fits the moment, makes sense in retrospect and isn't a cheap scare.

I know the scene that you're talking about. I actually jumped off the sofa and shouted, and I NEVER do that.

Soldato
Associate
Dune (2021) - 9/10

A glorious start to an epic saga where every scene is a visual spectacle filled with atmospheric and dramatic music.

Every part of this film is on an epic scale, from the explosive and exciting action scenes to the spectacular CGI landscapes and special effects.

The film is mostly about setting the scene, explaining the story and who the main players are, which is informative and well-told, but it does make it a bit slow and possibly too long overall.

The strong characterization and great acting makes up for this, and I for one can’t wait to see the next chapter.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Halloween Kills

Ooof. That was poor. Really bad writing, no flow, no suspense. Literally nothing of substance happening for most of the film. Comical rushed ending to wrap it all up.

You weren't wrong. That was brutal, a whole new level of awful. The entire movie was a giant mess of violence and stupidity. Absolutely pointless movie

Last edited:
Soldato
Night Teeth 6/10, would be a 5.5 but got an extra 0.5 because I found Blaire cute :cry:

Never heard about the movie before opening netflix, watchable..

Caporegime
Sicario 2: Soldado https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052474/

I don't have particularly strong feelings either way about the first film and seeing as just about everyone can't praise it enough,
I thought it was about time to try out the second. Well, I'm glad I did and thought it was a pretty solid movie.

I was hoping Benicio Del Toro would make it - quite a jarring scene, before, during, and after.

I like John Brolin and Benicio Del Toro so I may have to rewatch the first sometime.

Soldato
Sicario 2: Soldado https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052474/

I don't have particularly strong feelings either way about the first film and seeing as just about everyone can't praise it enough,
I thought it was about time to try out the second. Well, I'm glad I did and thought it was a pretty solid movie.

I was hoping Benicio Del Toro would make it - quite a jarring scene, before, during, and after.

I like John Brolin and Benicio Del Toro so I may have to rewatch the first sometime.

I'm one of those who rates the first highly, much to a lot of folks amusement, it would easily sit in an all time top 25 if I did a list, maybe even a top 10 depending on my mood on the day. Apart from a few slight mis-steps, it's a near perfect movie in my eyes.

The sequel was adequate but for me it was never going to match Denis Villenueve directing, Roger Deakins cinematography and Jóhann Jóhannsson's soundtrack on the first.

Soldato
F9 / Fast and Furious 9

3/10

Yes, the films have got more and more ridiculous over the years but I've always been able to look past that as they've always been an entertaining watch if not very mentally stimulating.

Yet, this one was lacking. I can't place my finger on exactly what it was, but terrible acting, bad lines, **** fight scenes with obvious missed punches, etc or just the general lack of feeling in the film but it was without a doubt, a terrible film.