What film did you watch last night?

Fast X. I genuinely think it's one of the worst films I've ever seen (and I've seen MoonFall). So much so I didn't get even half way. (before anyone says how can you say it's bad when you didn't watch it all, it would have had to become Citizen Kane in the second half just to make what I saw half worth watching)
No redeeming qualities to the acting, story, or special effects. It was just terrible and for those that say you'd have to turn you brain off to watch it, I agree, you have to be functionally brain dead to enjoy this crap. 0/10

The alleged budget for that movie was $340 million....wtf

Avatar 2 - took me 3 or 4 sittings to finish. Very pretty to look at, but overly long.

Thin storyline, but the end battle was epic - shame it took 3hrs to get there!

Fast X - 0/10

Wow, this is something else. I feel my IQ drop several points just from watching 1 hour of this and it wasn't that high to begin with. The action scenes have become idiotic and defy the laws of physics. The scene with Vin driving down the stairs in Rome backwards had me lol'ing, not only was it ridiculous the effects didn't look good.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023) - 5 / 10

Pretty much as expected with the same ideas and plot beats from the previous films – the discovery of the incognito robots, the unstoppable global threat and the realization that human and machine must work together to succeed.

The ‘RnB’ music and style wasn’t to my taste, but there was plenty of action scenes, good special effects, some humour, passable characters and a serviceable if shallow plot.

Entertaining enough for a summer blockbuster as long as you enjoy it for what it is.

White Men Can't Jump (2023) - 5½ / 10

It's not a horrific movie. If the original hadn't existed, it would maybe gain a ½ or point on the rating, but it's definitely not a good remake, there are just so many elements missing. Almost the whole point, the goofy white man gets picked and can play. I guess maybe they aren't allowed to show that stereotype any more? Even then, lots of other integral parts seem to be missing, the double cross, him winning but losing his girl and mainly any half-decent trash talk, but again, maybe they aren't allowed to do that these days.

How is this so successful? Pretty, but shallow, incredibly clichéd and a complete waste of the stunning visuals. The world-building is painfully paperthin and the story has barely an original beat in it, although it somehow manages to not be boring despite a bloated runtime.

A way to spend an evening 6/10

[REC] 2007 8/10

Missed this one at the time. Finally got to watch! A found footage horror, and one I enjoyed immensely, very clever. The ending is one of the best, I didn't expect.

Blair Witch over did the camera shake making it annoying to watch (still a good film though) whereas REC for me, struck the right balance.

There are three sequels, are they worth a watch or do they bomb?

It looked like the game designers of Left for Dead 2 were fans too! :cool:

Last edited:
[REC] 2007 8/10

Missed this one at the time. Finally got to watch! A found footage horror, and one I enjoyed immensely, very clever. The ending is one of the best, I didn't expect.

Blair Witch over did the camera shake making it annoying to watch (still a good film though) whereas REC for me, struck the right balance.

This is the original Spanish version right? Not the Hollywood remake. I remember it being fairly decent and iirc the follow up was ok too. Didn't j let there was a 3rd.

White Men Can't Jump (2023) - 5½ / 10

It's not a horrific movie. If the original hadn't existed, it would maybe gain a ½ or point on the rating, but it's definitely not a good remake, there are just so many elements missing. Almost the whole point, the goofy white man gets picked and can play. I guess maybe they aren't allowed to show that stereotype any more? Even then, lots of other integral parts seem to be missing, the double cross, him winning but losing his girl and mainly any half-decent trash talk, but again, maybe they aren't allowed to do that these days.
Surprised you even watched it, it's one of those movies that shouldn't have been remade. The original was top tier.

This is the original Spanish version right? Not the Hollywood remake. I remember it being fairly decent and iirc the follow up was ok too. Didn't j let there was a 3rd.
Yes, the original Spanish version. Will have a look for the sequel. :)

I always try to watch original films, subtitles never bother me, rather than say, Hollywood remakes.

Occasionally remakes can be decent like the US version of The Grudge!

Yup Rec is pretty good - mostly for its quirky ending, in my book. That was unexpected for a ‘zombie’ film that was otherwise hitting all the usual familiar ‘zombie’ notes.

The Deep House - 7.5/10. Oooof this one was unsettling. A bit low budget in places and the acting suffers a little from the voice over nature of it. Found footage style is nothing new but the nature of it being underwater added a new element.

How is this so successful?
I guess you can answer your own question? Your review is like many others, even in this thread, so why did you watch it? That will tell you perhaps why others watched it too?

Surprised you even watched it
Yeah, I wasn't going to, but watched the trailer again and thought it might be being rated so low due to the comparison, which to an extent, it was. But yes, I wouldn't recommend it.

[REC] 2007 8/10

Watch 2 at least, 3 changes the style completely and although i've seen 4, I barely remember a thing about it.

Back
Top Bottom