What film did you watch last night?

Groundhog day - bill murray - 1993

I gave it a 9/10 because its a classic well written film about a narcissistic man re living the same day over and over again . No matter what he does he is literally stuck in a time loop.

Its one of these films that when you watch it, it makes you think is this is a reflection of you own life, doing the same sodding thing every day

Renfield, very entertaining. I know Cage has done some bad movies, but this certainly isn't one of them. It knows not to take it's self seriously and embraces the sillyness and comedy gore. 8/10

The Flash (2023) - 7 / 10

A fun interpretation of the Flash’s main story complete with emotional heft and drama, but by focusing on it heavily, it relies on some knowledge of the wider DC universe to make the other elements gel.

It starts off very silly but has some great scenes and action sequences, especially once the other superheroes have been introduced.

The multiverse humour is good, although nowhere near as special as the Marvel offerings and Miller is good in his dual roles, as are his supporting cast.

The pacing could have been better and some of the cast, especially the villain, don’t get the depth they deserve, but as a Flash story, it serves its purpose and looked good.

Batman (the original Keaton / Joker one)

I decided to give this another whirl over my cynicism regarding the sudden ‘nostalgia surge’ for Keaton re-playing Batman in the Flash.

All of these comments I read on YouTube and elsewhere saying Keaton was an ‘amazing actor’… that there was a ‘big hoohah’ over his casting etc but he showed everyone up by being great, ‘surprising Jack Nicholson’ with how great his acting was… it smells a lot like a very well-engineered marketing campaign to me to promote his recent role reprisal.

Anyway, the film is mostly how I remembered. Better in some ways, far worse in others. Thoughts in no particular order…

It’s funny that Batman does this ‘raise arms up and pose thing’ a couple of times. Very theatrical :D

He also gets shot a couple of times and the henchmen do the whole ‘hey who is this’ - just a bit odd it happens twice.

Nobody in this universe really seems to know who Bruce Wayne is.

The Harvey Dent stuff goes absolutely nowhere - did they just forget him? Even if it was setting up a role for the sequel, kind of lame how meaningless his scenes are.

The best thing about the film, other than the banging music, is probably the fun ‘flirty / friend / professional’ dynamic between the reporter (Knox?) and Bassinger. Also, the scene setting with the dirty cop bribing did make Gotham feel a really seedy place… beyond just the visuals. So good job on those bits.

I do actually generally quite like how quirky Keaton’s Bruce Wayne is - his weirdo / awkward behaviour of not introducing himself immediately sets a funky tone. He eventually loses his appeal slightly from the scene the includes his ridiculous, awful nonsense monologue to the Joker culminating in threatening him with a fireplace poker. There was no incentive for him to do that? The “let’s get nuts!” line is awful / cringe.

Alfred just lets Bassinger into the bat cave. What a jerk.

Nicholson’s joker may have been great evolution coming from the silly villain in the 60s TV show but he’s mostly annoying now once he becomes the joker. He just chats absolute **** to himself, or makes silly noises such as “oooo”… there is one moment when he leaves a scene and just blows a raspberry. Umm. Not really intimidating nor that funny.

The end portion of the film with the bell tower is a huge anti-climax and rather boring. A very underwhelming showdown with the joker and really a lot of needless build-up too.

There are some great iconic moments that do stand the test of time, such as the brilliant “………. I’m Batman” near the start and also that shot of the bat-plane in front of the moon. Very cool.

Overall, more watchable than it is good - the general atmosphere, visuals, music and ‘quirky Bruce’ set-up are the highlights, whereas the ‘major conflict’ of Batman vs. Joker that is supposed to be entertaining and the main draw is actually a little dull.

6.5/10

Last edited:
Each to their own I guess. A lot of people still have nostalgia for this as up till the film most people had only known the comics and 60s TV show. Also prior to this there had never really been a comic book movie aside from Superman.

So this film did a lot to show viewers that conics could be translated well to the big screen.

I'm still in the this film is wonderful category.

Having watched the travesty that is 'The Batman' a few months ago I rewatched all the previous Batman films and the Michael Keaton 1989 film is still my favourite by far. Batman Returns was never my favourite but I actually liked it more this time around than I remember from previous viewings. The series went downhill after that with the laughably bad George Clooney entry scraping the bottom of the barrel. The Dark Knight movies were entertaining enough, and a million times better than last year's film, but Keaton wins every time for me.

The Whale

Credits are rolling by as I type this, I am contently traumatised as one should be after an Aronofsky film.

Trauma aside, that was incredible.
Just watched this..incredible, but can see why it would not work for everyone. Some of the parent/child scenes resonated and i balled my eyes out 9/10

Last edited:
Buried - 7/10

Claustrophobic thriller with Ryan Reynolds as a truck driver in Iraq who gets ambushed by insurgents and awake to find himself buried in a coffin alive.

Good thriller, low budget and shot entirely in the coffin. Worth the watch!

Last edited:
Batman Returns

Well, why not follow up the original with the sequel?

It has this jarring clash of being very dark and being very silly. I can’t help myself, I dig that. Things that frightened me as a child seem to appeal to me now and this film scared the crap out of me!

Christopher Walken is great as Max, Phieffer is a brilliant catwoman. Keaton is just sort of there as Batman this time - doing fine but not particularly memorable. DeVito is sort of weird… maybe his grotesqueness is just a little overpowering as he is otherwise funny and threatening.

The ‘descent into madness’ scene with Catwoman is amazing - disturbing as a child and intentionally a little funny as an adult.

The final segments with capturing the children and the penguins seem very hasty - it sort of has ‘pushed’ feel to get it to the finale scenes, so as not to outstay it’s welcome. But it’s really obvious that the pacing has just turned up to 11. Alfred announces to Batman where all the penguins are, but we aren’t given any dialogue between Batman and Alfred explaining how they know what is going on. Choppy stuff.

I definitely prefer this than the original film - I’ll take the upping the ante for both ‘darkness and silliness’ as wins because it’s simply more fun, even if it is at the expense of it feeling a lot messier.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom