What film did you watch last night?

[REC] 2007 8/10

Missed this one at the time. Finally got to watch! A found footage horror, and one I enjoyed immensely, very clever. The ending is one of the best, I didn't expect.

Blair Witch over did the camera shake making it annoying to watch (still a good film though) whereas REC for me, struck the right balance.

There are three sequels, are they worth a watch or do they bomb?

It looked like the game designers of Left for Dead 2 were fans too! :cool:
The 3rd Rec is brilliantly funny from what I remember!

Bloodshot. Being a Vin Diesel fan I thought I would give this a go. 5/10 Just a weird story line. Man baddie / scientist decides to wipe out ex staff members for no given reason at all, rather than using his existing super team, or any old member of the public for that matter to go shoot them since they don't really hide, reincarnates a dead Vin with nanobots that make him superman and memory blanks him time after time to go kill said ex staff members. never found out why. Just for the lols I'm assuming.

The Mother - 2/10 & Renfield - 6/10 - A tale of two films, both really bad but one able to recognise that and play into it.

The Mother - This was awful, truly awful and what made it worse was that it thought it was a good film when, at absolute best, it was a Z-List B-Movie that somehow managed to snag Joseph Fiennes and Jennifer Lopez into the leading roles, both of which are far too good (even Lopez) for roles as Z-List as these, so I'm guessing a lot of money was involved. The story/plot is farcical and seems written for a male lead (and would make far more sense in the end), the script was written by stunted adults with an emotional maturity of a 5 year old, the stunts (the highlight of these sort of films) are average at best as no matter how much the stuntmen help out its just really silly seeing 5ft4 Lopez destroy 6ft+ trained men using her strength rather than via tactics and weapons. Lopez tries her best to show a connection to her "long lost "daughter (not a great actresses chosen for that role) but fails continually to be convincing, mostly due to it feeling like it was either written for a male lead originally (makes most sense) or the scriptwriters just being childless themselves with no idea of how to write a "strong female lead" without making her a man in all but name. The CGI is, for the most part, awful and especially any explosion/flame effects looking particularly crap but, to even things out a tadge, the cinematography in the second half (the Alaska bits) looked quite nice.

Renfield - This film on the other hand "knows" its awful, and plays into that heavily, with everyone hamming it up to almost "Carry On Dracula" levels but with far more gore thrown in. It's comedy works for the most part, the CGI/effects are decent and the story/script are OK-ish for the most part although there are a lot of missteps through-out. Where it really shines however is casting Nic Cage and letting him go full tilt insane when he wants to, and his over-acting carries the rest of the film. However the supporting cast are woeful in every regard, even Nicholas Hoult who is a decent actor, so I think it's a direction or script issue rather than a skill issue at this point.

Blues Brothers 2000 - 1998

Still don't understand why they called it Blues Brothers 2000 when it was made in 1998.

Considering Blues Brothers is one of my favourite films ever, this is an absolute travesty. It should never have been made. It's awful.

2/10 at a push.

However, the soundtrack is fantastic, a solid 10/10.

Blues Brothers 2000 - 1998

Still don't understand why they called it Blues Brothers 2000 when it was made in 1998.

Considering Blues Brothers is one of my favourite films ever, this is an absolute travesty. It should never have been made. It's awful.

2/10 at a push.

However, the soundtrack is fantastic, a solid 10/10.

That ‘car’ crash though :cool:

Just finished watching the big short (2015) staring quite a few big names brad pitt ( god, he really looks very mature in this movie, it took me a minute to figure it he was the person playing the older guy) and christian bale

brilliant movie about how some people exploted the financial crash of 2007-2008 and it gaves a bit of an insight of the broken workings of the financial system

Im gonna be nice here and give it a 9/10 its damn interesting and it shows how sadly how the financial world is based on bull....mud

Last edited:
In the Earth - Like a trippy, weird dubstep rave in a forest mixed with humour and horror. I don't think it was good.
Watched this a year or two back and it was quite the trip - I think I liked it or I might have been wanting to like it due to really liking a few of Wheatleys other movies, most obviously kill List.

An eco-horror done far better in the same year would be the following - it's in native welsh so you'll need to watch with subs.

I think they should have just left it to the one film. It is just a rehash of ideas/theme but without any of the novelty or discovery from the first film.

The first third just felt really odd. Too many abrupt/jarring cuts between a multitude of scenes. In fact i really did not like the first hour or so.

What surprised me the most, is how little the visuals have advanced since the first film. Yes, it is better, but it isn't the leap i was expecting, and if i am totally honest i think other films from recent years have been better in the CGI stakes. It all looked VERY video game like, and oddly i dont think they did a great job of blending the real life aspects with the CGI.

The score was disappointing too and really suffered from not having James Horner (RIP :( ).

5/10

Very average

Last edited:
Another round 5/10)
interesting idea, bit of a boring film though, plus having to read subtitles.

Back
Top Bottom