What film did you watch last night?

Batman (the original Keaton / Joker one)

/snip

Overall, more watchable than it is good - the general atmosphere, visuals, music and ‘quirky Bruce’ set-up are the highlights, whereas the ‘major conflict’ of Batman vs. Joker that is supposed to be entertaining and the main draw is actually a little dull.

6.5/10

Nice to see a review that sort of sits in line with my feelings on '89 Batman - as you rightly say, more watchable than good - I was never a big fan of the Burtons Batman - however as a comic reader, they never aligned with my expectations of what a big on screen Batman movie should be.

Campy and fun for sure, just not my flavour of Batman.

My wife chose Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves over the weekend (we alternate movie choices) - I reluctantly agreed...and ended up really enjoying it. The action was good enough, the humour mostly on point and the cast all gelled well together, i'd happily watch a sequel.

I got the same feeling watching it as Frasers Mummy movies in it's comedy/action style - the right amount of serious mixed up with light hearted humour - 7/10

Buried - 7/10

Claustrophobic thriller with Ryan Reynolds as a truck driver in Iraq who gets ambushed by insurgents and awake to find himself buried in a coffin alive.

Good thriller, low budget and shot entirely in the coffin. Worth the watch!
For some really odd reason I can remember watching this film after recovery from a shoulder operation. I think it was on ITV2. Surprisingly compelling film.

Nice to see a review that sort of sits in line with my feelings on '89 Batman - as you rightly say, more watchable than good - I was never a big fan of the Burtons Batman - however as a comic reader, they never aligned with my expectations of what a big on screen Batman movie should be.

Campy and fun for sure, just not my flavour of Batman.
Kim Basinger’s scream is like nails on a chalkboard too. Shudder

Last edited:
Mother/Android (Netflix).

I've not seen it all yet though I'm near the end, but this was a pleasant surprise. Actually quite good. I'm glad I stuck with it.

My wife chose Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves over the weekend (we alternate movie choices) - I reluctantly agreed...and ended up really enjoying it. The action was good enough, the humour mostly on point and the cast all gelled well together, i'd happily watch a sequel.

I got the same feeling watching it as Frasers Mummy movies in it's comedy/action style - the right amount of serious mixed up with light hearted humour - 7/10
Enjoyed this a lot too - was actually rather funny and well done.

BlackBerry - 8/10

Rise and fall of the BlackBerry phone. Very good docufilm style. I think we all loved the phone back then, I know I did.

Blackberry_1Sht_FM2_HR.jpg

bb.png

Last edited:
Girl in the basement - 2/10

horrible movie full of crap acting and nonsense 'plot' lines. unashamedly tries to move the josef fritzl story to suburban america. fails all around.

Monster - 7/10

decent movie based of the life of serial killer Aileen Wournos. think charlize theron won an oscar for this, while her performance is very good, i'm not sure it's quite oscar winning good. damn good film nonetheless. reading up on Aileen Wournos' early life was a bit horrifying - she never stood a chance in life.

Mission Impossible 1 - 7/10

Starting a rewatch in build up to the new one. First one is good but a bit 90's in places and the ending is pretty silly. Great cast though including a weirdly tiny role for Emilio Estevez.

Mission Impossible 1 - 7/10

Starting a rewatch in build up to the new one. First one is good but a bit 90's in places and the ending is pretty silly. Great cast though including a weirdly tiny role for Emilio Estevez.
He's doing it!! I finished Fallout so now I'm all ready for some jilted crazy action in the new one. Bring it on baby

I haven't seen the first one since I was an angsty, overly cynical teen and despite every effort to move that troubled young chap on, I must still have some of his hang ups because I wasn't overly eager when my partner suggested we watch this.

Have to say though, I really enjoyed it from start to finish. The spectacle of the thing alone is just astonishing and I was completely swallowed whole by it. The script is woeful and I've seen a few people criticize the movie for having a cliched and dull second act, but I loved that part the most. I loved the fact that Cameron only really cared about engaging me on a visual and auditory level and didn't want to give me too much to think about which sounds like a back handed compliment, but oh well. It's got such conviction and I love the fact that Cameron seems to have disregarded all criticism of the original and just ploughed on with what he thinks is best. Fair play to the man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom