What film did you watch last night?

I was never much of a fan of 24 Hour Party People, but I've just finished a book on Tony Wilson and Factory Records which helped with seeing the bigger picture, so will give it 8/10 now.

PzmRAN9.jpg

A good excuse to re-watch Control as well which I thought was very good.

Last few days as other half has been away.

Haunted Mansion - the 2023 version. It's fine. Not as good as it really should be, certainly a damn sight better than the Eddie Murphy disaster

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil - Excellent silly comedy splatter movie

Renfield - A very fun take on the Dracula movies. Even uses some footage from the original 1931 Universal Dracula film, altered to feature Cage and Hoult.

Evil Dead Trilogy - Groovy!

Retirement Plan - Dont bother its awful, so bad its barley an b movie. Awful acting, shocking dialogue and non existent plot. Very surprised Nick Cage would go back making bad movies like that.

Last edited:
In a Valley of Violence - Strong 7/10

Loved The dialogue in this oddly star studded western. John Travolta, Ethan Hawke and Karen Gillan in a revenge western. It’s a really odd film but I thought it was great haha.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo - 2/10

Almost turned it off. Being a huge motorsport fan it was always going to annoy the hell out of me and it didn't disappoint.

Mrs Eddscott was more irritated that everyone in Cardiff spoke with a middle England accent.

I finally convinced my partner to watch The Thing. She really enjoyed it and didn't get scared and she is a bit of a wuss usually. It looked lovely in 4k and I saw stuff I had never noticed before, I really enjoyed watching it again. It's the perfect Sci fi horror film, filled with suspense, horror and paranoia. Brilliant SFX no CGI, everything done with practical effects, puppets and a little bit of stop motion. You have to love the disembodied head trying to escape by dragging itself along, then sprouting legs like a spider. 9.5/10

Last edited:
I finally convinced my partner to watch The Thing. She really enjoyed it and didn't get scared and she is a bit of a wuss usually. It looked lovely in 4k and I saw stuff I had never noticed before, I really enjoyed watching it again. It's the perfect Sci fy horror film, filled with suspense, horror and paranoia. Brilliant SFX no CGI, everything done with practical effects, puppets and a little bit of stop motion. You have to love the disembodied head trying to escape buy dragging itself along, then sprouting legs like a spider. 9.5/10
One of my favourite sci-fi movies, probably only second to Alien.

As a grumpy nihilist it hits some hard notes with me and it's a bit of a masochistic endeavour whenever I rewatch.

I know what you mean... I'm quite a fan of Apocalyptic/pos-Apocalyptic genre.... Not sure how to describe why. I find the whole "people interactions" interesting once civilisation isn't there hold people back if that makes sense?

I know what you mean... I'm quite a fan of Apocalyptic/pos-Apocalyptic genre.... Not sure how to describe why. I find the whole "people interactions" interesting once civilisation isn't there hold people back if that makes sense?
Makes total sense, the movie is a good study in people reverting to base desires when they know there is no consequence and won't wake up tomorrow.

I finally convinced my partner to watch The Thing. She really enjoyed it and didn't get scared and she is a bit of a wuss usually. It looked lovely in 4k and I saw stuff I had never noticed before, I really enjoyed watching it again. It's the perfect Sci fi horror film, filled with suspense, horror and paranoia. Brilliant SFX no CGI, everything done with practical effects, puppets and a little bit of stop motion. You have to love the disembodied head trying to escape by dragging itself along, then sprouting legs like a spider. 9.5/10

I watched it in the Cinema recently, 4k remastered and it was amazing. Easily one of the best cinema experienced i watched ever.

One of my favourite sci-fi movies, probably only second to Alien.

Aliens is my favourite over the original.

Last edited:
Saw X, wasn't bad, bit of a twist vs how these movies usually play out.
Saw this tonight.

Not hugely well versed in the Saw movies. I saw the first two at the cinema, then I think I stopped there. Knowing this set between Saw 1 and 2, we re-watched the first one recently. You can see how that was made on a shoestring budget, the 'car chase' was laughable.

Anyway - Saw X I would say a decent 6.5/10 - maybe even a 7. That woman who plays Amanda has a really terrible wig on though, probably because she is a 54 year old woman playing a 30 year old. But Tobin Bell gets a decent reason to kill the people and there is actually some jeopardy for him as Jigsaw.

Might watch Saw 2 now, but will probably stop there.

Back
Top Bottom