What film did you watch last night?

The Boy and the Heron

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but Ghibli are very hit and miss for me. Spoilers.

This reminded me too much of Totoro and Spirited Away. I enjoy the former, but the latter, once they get to the scene where Chihiro professes her love for Haku, it loses me there. What does a 10 year old know about falling in love? It's a bit too much of a stretch for me.

Anyway, I just found the structure of this too similar to those. Starts off just normal, "real-world" things, then they go off and explore, then find some fantastical world that they just accept with absolutely no hesitation, meet people that they just blindly accept and listen to with no hesitation, dead faced just do what they're told to do by these random people, a cute little blob thing with a funny smiley face to pander to the cutesy crowd who love their plushies and merch. It was like deja vu.

I actually started to doze off towards the climax.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I would struggle to give it more than a 7/10. Maybe another watch is warranted.

Ronin - 7.5/10 - The plot is very "twisty" in places with many double crosses etc so it can get a bit difficult to figure out what's going on at what time but its a really great cast lead by a fantastic turn from De Niro, all doing some great work with an occasionally messy script and with some really great practical driving stunts, all of which add up to make the film better than the individual parts themselves, and it helps hide the messiness of the plot too.

Last edited:
Godzilla Minus One 9/10

Really enjoyed this one. I'm not a fan Holloywood monster type movies like Kong etc but this was really enthralling. Great plot and engaging characters, with a somber nod to historical events of WW2 and post war Japan. Well worth a watch..

Oldboy (2003) - Never heard of this before somehow and walked in blind apart from the locked up 15 years for some reason bit. 8/10 for me, really glad to have watched it, great revenge film and great cinematography. Could hardly believe it was 20 years old apart from the tech changes eg flip phones and CRT monitors. Brilliant watch and will watch it again sometime.
Cracking film with a great soundtrack...the opening scene blew me away when I first watched it, probably one of the best.

Back
Top Bottom