What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Wonka - 7 / 10

Took my partners grandkids to see this yesterday and for someone who doesn't particularly like musicals I thought this was actually very good overall, mainly due to the fantastic performance by TC. Must admit, I was rather dubious when I heard he was playing Wonka, but I thought he did it perfectly.

Soldato
I watched "Detachment" (2011).
I found it up there with the most depressing films I've ever watched, and I say that in a complimentary way. Adrien Brody is a great actor (was in Peaky Blinders). It looks at our dysfunctional society through the eyes of a substitute teacher.

If you like it, also try "Requiem for a dream" (2000).

Watched this last night based on your review and we both enjoyed it. For what came across as a quite low budget film it did have quite a few big name actors in it!

Not sure I'd go as far as equating it's bleakness with Requiem (one of my favourite films of all time!) and this one tried to end of a more positive note, whereas Requiem just gets bleaker and more depressing until the credits roll! :D

Man of Honour
Watched a few yesterday and last night.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

Definitely a product of its time and not really stood the test of time compared to Disney's animated films if the same age. Although the giant squid is quite impressive for a 70 year old film.

5/10

Blood Simple (1984)

The Coen brothers first film and while it was ok, it didn't have the dark humour that they had in some of the films that followed.

6/10

City of Angels (1998)

I've seen it before, but my wife hadn't. So I thought she'd enjoy it and I remember it being ok. It did find it a bit more schmaltzy than my first watch and had forgot how it ended and so the wife was a bit miffed.

5/10 (minus one for Cage's gormless face for too much of the film)

Soldato
Watched this last night based on your review and we both enjoyed it. For what came across as a quite low budget film it did have quite a few big name actors in it!

Not sure I'd go as far as equating it's bleakness with Requiem (one of my favourite films of all time!) and this one tried to end of a more positive note, whereas Requiem just gets bleaker and more depressing until the credits roll! :D
Yeah true, I possibly exaggerated a little but...in some ways it truly is more depressing than Requiem on the basis that Requiem at least has the "excuse" (if you can call it that) of Drug addiction as a source of the bleakness. With Detachment, I think it hits hard due to the fact the issue is society and people and the direction that the world has gone in generally. But yes, overall it does try to portray a hopeful ending where as Requiem... all hope is lost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonka - 7 / 10

Took my partners grandkids to see this yesterday and for someone who doesn't particularly like musicals I thought this was actually very good overall, mainly due to the fantastic performance by TC. Must admit, I was rather dubious when I heard he was playing Wonka, but I thought he did it perfectly.
My colleague said he enjoyed it and not a fan of musicals usually. The trailer looks good imo.

Not sure if Roald Dahl named the character intentionally lol. Willy Wonka = Willy w***ermu wife mentioned this

Soldato
Wonka at our local Cineworld....

8/10. Surpisingly entertaining. Surprised as my expectations were kinda high due to the other two previous films, featuring Wiilie's and Wonka's.
We both liked it, my wife perhaps more so as she enjoys musicals.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Race For Glory: Audi vs Lancia - 7/10

Okay, so it's no Rush or Ford v. Ferrari, that's for sure. But it's mostly alright.

The cast are all pretty good. History isn't mangled too badly. But a lot of the racing scenes look a bit weird - some look like undercranked film and sped up, others have no sense of speed whatsoever. And we never really learn much about the motivations of some of the team - you're never really told why Walter Rörhl is only interested in doing half the season beyond a quick mention about how he doesn't really care about the championship title, we get even less about Jane McCoy (the nutritionist hired by Cesare Fiorio at Lancia), and almost all of the car side of things is focused on Lancia with only occasional mention of what Audi did and how they did it.

Still though. I'm glad that they made it, and I did enjoy it.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
War of the Worlds (2005) - Not one of Tom Cruise's best movies but i liked the build up and the nostalgia. The effects were pretty good but the dialogue and pacing was a little weak. To be fair its limited by the story from the book but it was kinda cheesy and weak in parts. Still worth a watch if you havent watched it in a while on Prime 6.5/10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom