What film did you watch last night?

In September 2012, it was announced that On Her Majesty's Secret Service had topped a poll of Bond fans run by 007 Magazine to determine the greatest ever Bond film. Goldfinger came second in the poll and From Russia With Love was third. It also became a bigger success when it got its home video release. While many critics at the time weren't kind to it the fans and general public enjoyed it.

Christopher Nolan also ranks it as his favourite Bond film and was apparently a big influence on his film Inception.

Also topping top grossing film of January 1970 and was top grossing film of the year in the UK.

You may not like it but plenty other others really do.
That is utter madness! Talk about way to insult the actual best bond films ever!
I am literally lost for words if that's true!

Must be dimentia kicking in if people from back in the day have decided that in present time.

Yeah but CN said that because of the set pieces and locations, I've watched the same making of, that you're quoting that from. On that basis, yes it is awesome, as I've said many times now it's ONLY GL I have the issue with, thus ruins the rest of the film. Because it just breaks the immersion/effort put in for the rest of the film. I wouldn't listen to someone ruin a well written song with a terrible voice/band who couldn't play to save their life, know what I mean?

GL gave the character more, we saw his vulnerable side and that he wasn't this invincible guy all the time. We learnt he had real emotions and the tragic ending made it all the better for seeing Bond like we never had before.

I don't know if people are excluding personal thoughts of the actor and taking the film as a whole including the characterisation of Bond as their reasons for loving it so much.

Poor Things (2023)

I think this is one of the most unique and original films I've ever seen.

It's an X rated, black comedy mash up of Frankenstein, Alice in Wonderland, The Island of Dr Moreau mixed up with a dollop of Wes Anderson scooped on top.

Very well written and directed, great performances from all of the cast, great production and costume design and some very quirky cinematography.

9/10

Ferrari - Visually good with excellent car sequences but fell rather flat with the drama of family and business. I felt that something was missing from the acting so only 6/10.

GL gave the character more, we saw his vulnerable side and that he wasn't this invincible guy all the time. We learnt he had real emotions and the tragic ending made it all the better for seeing Bond like we never had before.

I don't know if people are excluding personal thoughts of the actor and taking the film as a whole including the characterisation of Bond as their reasons for loving it so much.
Yeah that's what I'm wondering, are they just giving him a pass and saying despite him being ****, that the film still is good overall, versus ranking it **** JUST due to him, i.e. he ruins what would be an awesome Bond, if they'd used a good Bond. That's what I've been trying to put across in my points tbh. But yeah I fully get why it could be good if he wasn't in it, and would deserve high status.
LA Confidential
I don't know why I have never seen it before. Great cast and story got to be a 9.5
Perfect casting/film. The chair hand snapping is amazing as well haha!

Dune, part 1

(Re-watched in advance of Dune, part 2). I said the first time I watched it, I needed to see the second half to properly assess it, having now seen the second half, I give this one a 10/10. It really is a breathtaking piece of cinema, slow confident and with a sense of grounded realism quite unlike most modern CGI fests.

Dune, part 2

Watched this in the cinema, and it's definitely a film I recommend you do the same with. It continues where the first part left off - quite literally, it finishes the sequence that ended the first. The same incredible visuals, incredible music and sound design, and extraordinary sense of realism are there. Quite how a film with such absurd aspects manages to feel so real is hard to understand, yet people riding worms hundreds of meters long through a desert feel more real than characters in Marvel do walking down the street. The sense of scale is incredible, with things feeling immense in a way that is often lacking; and the characters and performers are also top notch - although, to me, Christopher Walken felt miscast. He always brings too much Walken-ness to his roles, and unlike the other actors who were subsumed by their roles, he still felt like Walken playing a role.

Storywise, despite the length and setup, it actually felt kind of rushed. Four hours of setup is resolved in a mere thirty minutes or so at the end, much of the politicking of the book is gone; and I do wonder whether someone who was not familiar with either the book or Lynch's take would be able to understand and follow the story. Their take on Feyd-Rautha struck me as overly cartoonish; and lacked either the subtlety or cleverness of the character in the book. Actually, the whole Gedi Prime sequence was the low point of the films for me - it felt too stylised, clashing with the realistic feel of the rest of the film. I think it would also have benefited from some key characters being set up in the first film, and the final fight felt fairly unnecessary to me, partly as a result of their take on Feyd-Rautha lacking the depth necessary to set him up as a prime antagonist.

Still, quibbles aside, it's a masterpiece of modern cinema - I give part two 9/10 and the combination of both movies 10/10. Do watch it.

• Love
Reactions: Kyo
Code 8 - Part II (2024) - 5/10

A standard sci-fi urban drama featuring oppressed special people, magic drugs and an extra-special young girl who has to be protected from corrupt cops and a criminal gang by a reluctant hero for reasons.

It’s entertaining enough with passable dialogue, characters and acting but it’s just unoriginal and uninspired in almost every way.

The robots, especially the little robot dogs look great and realistic and the few actions scenes are ok, but overall, it’s nothing special.

Captive State - a solid 8/10...slow burn but ultimately pays off well, one of my favourites of the year so far. I do feel it would have been better suited as a Netflix mini series though.

On a side note, John Goodman seems to be losing more and more weight each movie he does.
Watched it twice. Great soundtrack adds to the tension. I agree it would have been better suited as a series. 7 or 8 out of ten. Something good that could have been better.

Back
Top Bottom