What film did you watch last night?

Dune, part 1

(Re-watched in advance of Dune, part 2). I said the first time I watched it, I needed to see the second half to properly assess it, having now seen the second half, I give this one a 10/10. It really is a breathtaking piece of cinema, slow confident and with a sense of grounded realism quite unlike most modern CGI fests.

Dune, part 2

Watched this in the cinema, and it's definitely a film I recommend you do the same with. It continues where the first part left off - quite literally, it finishes the sequence that ended the first. The same incredible visuals, incredible music and sound design, and extraordinary sense of realism are there. Quite how a film with such absurd aspects manages to feel so real is hard to understand, yet people riding worms hundreds of meters long through a desert feel more real than characters in Marvel do walking down the street. The sense of scale is incredible, with things feeling immense in a way that is often lacking; and the characters and performers are also top notch - although, to me, Christopher Walken felt miscast. He always brings too much Walken-ness to his roles, and unlike the other actors who were subsumed by their roles, he still felt like

Storywise, despite the length and setup, it actually felt kind of rushed. Four hours of setup is resolved in a mere thirty minutes or so at the end, much of the politicking of the book is gone; and I do wonder whether someone who was not familiar with either the book or Lynch's take would be able to understand and follow the story. Their take on Feyd-Rautha struck me as overly cartoonish; and lacked either the subtlety or cleverness of the character in the book. Actually, the whole Gedi Prime sequence was the low point of the films for me - it felt too stylised, clashing with the realistic feel of the rest of the film. I think it would also have benefited from some key characters being set up in the first film, and the final fight felt fairly unnecessary to me, partly as a result of their take on Feyd-Rautha lacking the depth necessary to set him up as a prime antagonist.

Still, quibbles aside, it's a masterpiece of modern cinema - I give part two 9/10 and the combination of both movies 10/10. Do watch it.
Walken playing a role. Like Alec Guinness in Star Wars?

Guinness

in Star Wars

The Father https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10272386/

Very sad at times, but a fantastic performance by the legendary Anthony Hopkins. Olivia Colman is also excellent.
About the right length of time, so it didn't outstay its welcome.
I've got that recorded to watch but as my dad passed away 5 years from it, I need to be in the right frame of mind for it!

I do love Anthony Hopkins though so I'm sure he will do it justice.

Dune Part 2 (2024)

Watched part one for second time last week in preparation.

I have to say that as much as I enjoyed the first film, the second is far better.

I have to agree with Mr Jack, it's definitely a film to see at the cinema. The sheer scale of the thing would be lost on a TV, or at least far less impressive. Like the first film, every shot is just epic and bathed in cinematic perfection.

The only nit pick I have, is the casting of Christopher Walken. It just didn't click for me. I haven't read the books, but he didn't seem the right choice for the role of an emperor.

That aside, I still think it's a great film and deserves to be a box office success. Fingers crossed for more.

10/10

Dune -Part One (2021). Absolutely fantastic sets up the scene and characters nicely for legend of Lisan Al Gaib and the power struggle for dominance, power and revenge. Watching Part 2 today. Can't wait. 8.5/10.

Damsel on Netflix
Millie Bobbie Brown stars in not the enlarge princess movie. The dragon and the voice and the sheer deep rumble of her voice reminded me of LoTR, superb cinematography and sound design, and MBB did a fine job too. She definitely has a future Lara Croft vibe about her, you'll see what I mean in various scenes.

Overall a good film and I liked the camera didn't shy away from the gritty violence that unfolds either.

No Country for Old Men

This film is so masterful for the majority of its length and then it ends up being a little pretentious with its off screen crescendo and ‘epilogue’.

I personally do not like it when so much emphasis is placed on what is presented at the time as throwaway dialogue. The ending ‘I had some dreams’ bit does have some interesting meanings behind it - but it’s just not accessible in the moment of watching the film. I much prefer the sentiments to be accessible as you’re watching.

I’m sure that 90% of people would have thought “…wut.” when the credits start, even if they wouldn’t want to admit it.

But as mentioned, the good is oh so very good.

8/10

Last edited:
Finally got around to seeing Oppenheimer.

I am a massive Nolan fan, been watching him since the beginning.

But this film didn't really do anything for me. I really wanted to like it and the era and the history is really interesting to me but I just felt no connection to the events going on. The ending didn't really even leave me with anything which I've never had with a Nolan film before.

And I'll say this again, Nolan needs to fire his audio mixer, the dialogue is so difficult to hear.

Probably my least favourite film he's done, I'll give it a 6/10.

Finally got around to seeing Oppenheimer.

I am a massive Nolan fan, been watching him since the beginning.

But this film didn't really do anything for me. I really wanted to like it and the era and the history is really interesting to me but I just felt no connection to the events going on. The ending didn't really even leave me with anything which I've never had with a Nolan film before.

And I'll say this again, Nolan needs to fire his audio mixer, the dialogue is so difficult to hear.

Probably my least favourite film he's done, I'll give it a 6/10.
I've got no 'real interest' in the subject matter, but I'd watch it cause it's a Nolan and the casting, if I walk into it open minded, will I like it? I'm just thinking a less is more approach.

Ricky Stanicky - 5.5/10

It's not as bad as I thought it might be as it started, but I struggle with movies like this where the main characters are d*cks who change themselves right at the end of the movie. (I think I struggled with Up for the same reason?)

Ricky Stanicky - 5.5/10

It's not as bad as I thought it might be as it started, but I struggle with movies like this where the main characters are d*cks who change themselves right at the end of the movie. (I think I struggled with Up for the same reason?)
I think if it wasn’t John Cena playing the role of Ricky, the movie would’ve been dead in the water.

I've got no 'real interest' in the subject matter, but I'd watch it cause it's a Nolan and the casting, if I walk into it open minded, will I like it? I'm just thinking a less is more approach.

You’ll need to be mindful of two things:

(1) it’s a dialogue heavy film.
(2) it’s not in a strict chronological order - which is very ‘Nolan-y’. This isn’t a spoiler because that becomes obvious about 2 minute in.

Back
Top Bottom