What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri, 9/10 maybe even 10/10. Truly great movie, I never want to watch it again it will never be as good as the first time. McDormand, Rockwell and Harrelson were brilliant but the whole plotting, pacing, acting and camera work were out of the top draw. So funny and so sad at times.

Soldato
The Predator - 5/10.

Some funny lines and interesting concept, however, some ropey CGI and poor acting, especially from Traeger (Government bad guy) - some of his lines were the ultimate in cheese and not in a good way. The kid played his part well, but we are meant to believe that a kid on the spectrum can outsmart all of the best brains?

Also a waste of Thomas Jane!

Soldato
Aquaman (aka Underwater Power Rangers) 2.5/10.

Poor poor movie, terrible pacing, some really dodgy CGI and no real character development.

I don't know what they were trying to achieve, but they didn't succeed. I want my money back!!!

You paid to see that....what on earth were you thinking. Surely you knew it was going to be trash.

Associate
Aquaman (2018) - 3/10

Probably the worst superhero film I’ve seen in a long while. The film is formulaic and derivative with few redeeming features.

The plot is weak, predictable and dull with no sense of threat, and the few moments of awe or surprise are fleeting.

There’s a variety of settings and scenes, but they all end in the same way.

The special effects are mostly sub-par, and the costumes look cheap and tacky.

The acting is good, but there’s no real character development and the forced humour is awful.

Soldato
3 Billboards - 8/10

Great story and acting - up and down emotionally throughout the whole story, however:

I didn't really enjoy the ending, Mildred was pushed to the extreme, but only in the cause to see justice for her daughter. I was hoping we would see the movie wrapped up and it would have been good to see her efforts were not in vain. What we got was Mildred succumbing to the dark side and going after a different potential rapist and nothing to do with her daughters rape and murder. Also, in doing so Mildred is leaving her young son potentially with a mum in jail or dead.

I didn't enjoy the end and felt Mildred's actions were out of character and i felt less sympathy for her because of this.

Caporegime
Spiderman into the Spider Verse.

First thing, during the start there are scenes where i was so sure I either booked the 3D film accidentally to the point I looked around the auditorium to check other people to make sure they were not wearing 3D glasses and somehow I missed that totally.

Twice…

The movie itself was great, better than Homecoming, better than the Garfield Spiderman, enjoyed it immensely.

Soldato
Spiderman into the Spider Verse.

First thing, during the start there are scenes where i was so sure I either booked the 3D film accidentally to the point I looked around the auditorium to check other people to make sure they were not wearing 3D glasses and somehow I missed that totally.

Twice…

The movie itself was great, better than Homecoming, better than the Garfield Spiderman, enjoyed it immensely.

I thought the same about it being 3D. Apparently it was done that way to try and focus the viewer on the parts of the frame that were not done like 3D.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Cars 3 - 6/10. Usual top notch Pixar animation, weak story, it's definitely time to put the "Cars" franchise to bed Pixar.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 8/10. Note, I'm not a Star Wars fan or a Star Trek fan or any kind of a sci fi franchise fan, I'm just a sci fi fan in general so from that baggage free point of view I enjoyed Solo, the story moved along at a good pace, the fx were spot on, the casting for the most part was ok, Donald Glover was perfect for a cocky young Lando but I don't think Alden Ehrenreich was a good fit for a young Han Solo, he just didn't feel right to me, no issues with the deeply divisive L3, the character wasn't on screen long enough to irritate, Woody Harrelson was brilliant, Bettany also put in a solid menacing performance, all in all I enjoyed it, a lot more than I did The Last Jedi.

Soldato
2nd movie of the night.

Mortal Engines.

Half way through watching this, right about the red air ship bit when I thought "Hmmmm, this movie would look great as an anime." Then it hit me, this movie is a ripoff of Laputa - Castle in the Sky!

Power hungry man who starts out as the regular dude - check
Strong female character who is lost at the start - check
Meets random boy who she ends up with - check
Powerful weapon that can destroy cities - check
Meets a flying pirate lady with air ship - check
pirate lady has a crew - check
Female lead has the key - check
"Ancient" race with more powerful weapon - check

Besides the cities that can move, everything else is a rip-off.

p.s. Laputa's music is also better, I've not seen it in 20 years and I can still hear the theme tune in my head.

I enjoyed this - a good 7/10 from me (I put average as 5).

There could be some better chemistry between the main character and the others.

Will have to check out Laputa - for me the film was like steampunk mad max star wars (big over powering device with mega weapon etc)

Back
Top Bottom