What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I never read reviews or take note of others views until I've seen something so can judge for myself.
years of experience tells me that anything rated as low as a 2.8/10 isn't worth the time.

I'm definitely with SixTwoSix. As he says, you need a little context around the rating, but honestly I think more people need to do a little research before they pick a movie or TV show to watch. Lots of people saying it's all rubbish these days, it really isn't, they're just picking the wrong things to watch.

This thread and the 'what TV I just watched' are great ways of finding things you'll enjoy, but I usually check out their IMDb rating too :)

Soldato
hmm thinking of the comparison - I think I'd give acting and soundtrack award to, not dissimilar, Drive .
(e: OK lots of internet threads on that comparison)

Would be interesting to know average IMDB score of netflix movies, life's too short to give time to low score stuff, and being tempted to watch a bit more when the first 10minutes is a no, that's one of the benefits of streaming versus cinema, lower, maybe perceived, investment;
too much cult of netflix - like the furore generated around Don't look Up.

Soldato
Uncharted - 6 / 10

I've not played the games, I don't know if that matters (my brother has, I don't think it does) but this is a reasonably fun 2 hours, in the same way that Fast & Furious movies are fun. Don't ask questions, just accept and enjoy the action and plot.

Soldato
Lots of people saying it's all rubbish these days, it really isn't, they're just picking the wrong things to watch.

Absolutely this - there is of course a torrent of poor quality TV & movies that gets greenlit and made with the advent of streaming, however there are still plenty of great movies and TV around, just harder to generally find amongst the rough.

Associate
Primer. Surprising a good watch. Its a low budget film but the plot is pretty good. It like watching Tenet without the CGI with the plot expertise of Tinker Tailor Solder Spy. In other words you would probably need a notepad and a few re-watch to fully understand it.

Soldato
Jackass Forever - hard to score, although on enjoyability and fun alone, it's an 8/10 - actually watched it twice in a week, once alone and again with missus when she got back from holiday.

Seems they've really increased the risk on a lot of stunts or maybe in my older age as opposed to watching these kind of stunts in my 20's, they seem much more dangerous.

Genuinely was feeling bad for Ehren, he seemed to get unfairly punished throughout the movie and my god, Dave England has aged incredibly badly.

Man of Honour
Uncharted - 6 / 10

I've not played the games, I don't know if that matters (my brother has, I don't think it does) but this is a reasonably fun 2 hours, in the same way that Fast & Furious movies are fun. Don't ask questions, just accept and enjoy the action and plot.

I've not been into the games either - did play a bit of one of them - but I'm kind of annoyed they didn't push ahead with the Nathan Fillion take on it - even as someone who isn't really into Uncharted, and the fan film was obviously just made for a laugh, it just nails many of the aspects.

Soldato
Following recommendations on here we've watched

Beyond The Infinite Two Minutes - 7/10

Low budget Japanese time looping sci fi short.

Boiling Point - 8/10

Tense drama about the work and personal stresses of a head chef in a top restaurant.

Caporegime
Alien Covenant - 7/10

I enjoyed this more than I did when it first came out. I think seeing it straight after Prometheus you can see the improvements over that film. There are less gaping plot holes and the people aren't quite so dumb. It's still missing something though.

Soldato
Alien Covenant - 7/10

I enjoyed this more than I did when it first came out. I think seeing it straight after Prometheus you can see the improvements over that film. There are less gaping plot holes and the people aren't quite so dumb. It's still missing something though.

I rewatched this a few weeks back actually and unlike Prometheus, it's a movie that doesn't seem as bad on subsequent rewatches. I'm pre-biased due to Alien being my favourite movie of all time though so more forgiving of it's issues.

Did you see the footage that was released last week which shows the extended death scene in the shower at the end, unsure why it was cut, certainly more visceral and in keeping with the Alien brutality.

Soldato
The Little Things - 7/10 - slow burn crime thriller with Denzel, Malek and Leto - great performances across the board, a little meandering in the middle but quite a decent movie. Quite nuanced and layered and some interesting twists and turns throughout.

Back
Top Bottom