What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Matrix Resurrections.

3/10

Not a terrible film, but not good either, not worth ever rewatching after you've seem it and it could be argued that the franchise is worsened for it's existence. In fairness though, I'm not so sure it's actually that much worse than the other sequels, I was such a Matrix fanboy back in the day that I kinda turned a blind eye to the fact that none of them ar ein the same league as the original. I watched the trilogy in preparation to seeing the new film and IMO the first film works best as a standalone story as it was intended to be, all the extra canon/lore duct taped on to justify sequels ($$$) over the years is more of a detraction than an enhancement and this is just the latest example.

Associate
Banshees of Inisherin.

Pretty powerful/grim stuff in places, and in other places really funny (in a dry way). The premis is a little far-fetched, but throw in a bit of mental health issues in a really small rural community, and maybe its not completely out there.

I felt the two leads did well and certainly farrell out of his comfort zone I suspect.

Written and directed by Martin McDonagh

I note that "The Guard" (also staring Gleeson) that I watched the night before was written and directed by John Michael McDonagh...and relation ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Since it got so many Oscars expected brilliance but it was a Jackie Chan movie with a woman (who I'm pretty sure has been in his movies).
I love Jackie Chan but they're not Oscar winning performances.
5/10

Associate
Just watched

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan​

9/10 loved this film when it was released back in 2006 and i still love it to this day

I always love the unscripted responce you get from borats 'victims'

great success !!!

Last edited:
Associate
Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023) - 7/10

An entertaining superhero action movie which does everything you’ve come to expect and nothing more.

There’s plenty of action, humour, special effects and even a little bit of teen drama in this plot straight out of Greek mythology.

It looks good and there’s a lot going on, but it’s predictable and nothing really stands out as spectacular, making it a bit boring towards the end.

Good acting with some fun cameos, but it didn’t grab me like the first one did.

Reactions: Kyo
Associate
House on Haunted Hill (1959) 6/10

Vincent Price, a millionaire invites people from varied backgrounds; each have debts which can be cleared if they survive a night in a haunted house. A couple of spooky moments (tame by todays standard but nothing beats black and white for atmosphere)!

Whilst I am not a big fan of Horror, the film had a wicked poster:

Q5nhpKh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
House on Haunted Hill (1959) 6/10

Vincent Price, a millionaire invites people from varied backgrounds; each have debts which can be cleared if they survive a night in a haunted house. A couple of spooky moments (tame by todays standard but nothing beats black and white for atmosphere)!

Whilst I am not a big fan of Horror, the film had a wicked poster:

Q5nhpKh.jpg

I was only discussing the 99 remake of this tonight with my brother. That and 13 ghosts. On my to watch next list!

Associate
I was only discussing the 99 remake of this tonight with my brother. That and 13 ghosts. On my to watch next list!
If you like old school Hammer type horror's - Witchfinder General is very good. Watched again the other night.

Vincent Price play's Matthew Hopkins, the notorious Witch Hunter.

Very dark for a film made in 1968. Stars Ian Ogilvy who went on to become The Saint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom