What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Smile - wtf/10

Smile - didn't finish.

I just don't get the excitement around this, maybe for horror casuals it's fine but for anyone with more than a passing attachment to horror, it's just not good. Jump scares are glaringly telegraphed, it re-treads the same old ground with the build ups, there's just nothing interesting here. I'd normally not have bothered with it but i'm constantly seeing snippets and comments about it on the horror sites I frequent.

I'm a completionist so will revisit at some point, perhaps.

So I finally watched it to completion a week ago, it's adequate enough - maybe a 5/10 and most of that is from the final reveal.

Also it tries way too hard to be an A24 level horror with it's half assed arty camera shots, while a lot of the A24 content has good writing and performances to back it up - this isn't remotely the same quality.

Soldato
I think it came out end of last week on Netflix. I was looking forward to it because I always enjoyed the previous BBC-produced episodes, but this was sub par for me.
The last few seasons of Luther weren't great - however the emergence of a new movie is going to prompt me to rewatch them all as the early seasons were excellent TV.

Permabanned

New one on Prime. After escaping a Michigan prison, a charming career criminal assumes a new identity in Canada and goes on to rob a record 59 banks and jewellery stores while being hunted by a police task force. Based on the story of The Flying Bandit.

Also got the fit bird from The Girl Next Door

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
star wars : rise of skywalker

forced to watch this film with younger people in my familiy

Score: 2/10

I watched it and though to myself 'how could disney murder such a great franchise with this woke influenced bull...... **** '
long and windey, and script was obviously written by someone who hates star wars

would rather have scurvy of the eyes than watch this trash again
Nail on the head. Disney have utterly murdered star wars.

Caporegime
We watched Everything, Everywhere… last night and thought it was pretty naff on the whole. Totally agree with the two star Guardian review of it.
How Jamie Lee Curtis and all the other Oscar wins came to be, I’ll never know. We’re baffled by it. Particularly ahead of the likes of All Quiet…, Banshee, Cate Blanchett, Brendan Gleeson and Kerry Condon.

I found it a good film as something to watch in a popcorn throwaway way but was nothing more than some matrix, highlander, Deadpool mashup.

Not a patch on All Quiet however.

Soldato
We tried watching it, thought it was garbage and switched off after about half an hour. No idea why people like it. Too frantic and full of irritating characters. No thanks.

It's a typical modern movie. They speed it up to such a degree you don't have time to think about the plot. Because it makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
We tried watching it, thought it was garbage and switched off after about half an hour. No idea why people like it. Too frantic and full of irritating characters. No thanks.

It's a typical modern movie. They speed it up to such a degree you don't have time to think about the plot. Because it makes no sense at all.
You can't know if the plot makes sense if you switched it off after half an hour.

Saying that, I get where you're coming from with it being an exhausting and irritating watch.

Soldato
You can't know if the plot makes sense if you switched it off after half an hour.

Saying that, I get where you're coming from with it being an exhausting and irritating watch.
I was more talking films in general with that comment.

I could see this film going the same way. It was far too irritating and exhausting to watch as you say. I don't get the love for it at all.

Guess it is a young persons film :p

Permabanned
Decision To Leave

I won't rate it, because to be honest I found it a bit difficult to follow, and definitely need another watch to digest it better. I feel like there's a lot of subtlety that's lost when relying on the subtitles to follow the story. Amazing cinematography though, especially the ending scene. I definitely felt a similar sense of tragedy at the ending that I felt to some of the director's other works like Oldboy.

Back
Top Bottom