What game did you play last?

Soldato
OP
Played Scythe at the weekend, didn't particularly enjoy it, but was my first go and didn't entirely understand a lot of it. Maybe I'll try again at some point.

definitely worth a second try, i wasn't sure at first as there is a lot of small rules that i missed but i love it now.

had my first game of Gloomhaven a couple of days ago, failed in the second room but enjoyed it and really want to go back and go at it again which is always a good sign.

Soldato
Got Chimera Station to the table for the first time on Wednesday. It's a worker placement game about building a space station, with the twist that you can genetically modify your workers to gain extra resources or points, feed themselves (and others!) or even kick weaker workers out of occupied spaces. I messed up one scoring rule, but it affected everyone equally so it didn't change the game much. Fun game.

Associate
Me and my niece managed to convince my sister to join in with some board games over the weekend, possibly the first time that she's ever played anything outside of Monopoly/Cluedo... hopefully this'll be the start of getting more of the family playing board games at Christmas.

Started off simple with a bit of Forbidden Island as it doesn't take more than two turns to really understand how the game works.
That may have ended up being the shorted game ever as the luck of the cards was completely against us with Fool's Landing sinking in the space of two player's turns.

We followed that with an introduction to something a bit more complex with Betrayal at House on the Hill.
It had a bit of a slow start with the need to explain things as we went along, after about 4/5 rounds the game started to flow quite nicely and we made it up to 9 on the Haunt track before triggering it... my sister somehow managed to get all of the good Omen/Item cards so naturally the game decided to screw us and make her the traitor.
It ended up being quite a fun scenario that we activated, turned out she was a werewolf and with the mission of turning the rest of us into werewolves. Out of all of the Haunts, that one appears to be one of the most overpowered enemies ever! (if you have the revised version of the game, look at scenario #5)
...we lost but it was fun seeing how long we could run away for.

I was tempted to bring out Ultimate Werewolf as a follow-up, but it doesn't really work with 3 people.

Soldato
It's nearly Christmas and the wife and I love to play a game around this time of year so Pandemic came out last night. First game was "Researcher and Scientist" second game was "Dispatcher and Engineer" we walked both games easily.

Never played with all 6 epidemic cards involved....it's time to try it.

Last edited:
Associate
Played Risk (Halo edition) last night and really enjoyed it, have never played a game like it. Ordered myself the standard version today :D

Soldato
It's nearly Christmas and the wife and I love to play a game around this time of year so Pandemic came out last night. First game was "Researcher and Scientist" second game was "Dispatcher and Engineer" we walked both games easily.

Never played with all 6 epidemic cards involved....it's time to try it.

It's brutal. :)

Edit: At our late night after work gaming sessions a while back everyone thought they could win most of the time after a few games of it. So I loaded the 6 cards in the deck and shuffled them instead of splitting the deck into piles and adding the cards that way.

We lost.

iirc 2 epidemic cards after each other.

Soldato
Played Risk (Halo edition) last night and really enjoyed it, have never played a game like it. Ordered myself the standard version today :D

The original Risk is nothing like the modified versions, it's a horrible grind. The empirical best version of Risk is Risk Legacy, which is played over an evolving 15-game campaign and was redesigned to play out in an hour.

Had our last Sunday meeting of the year, just four of us. We played Historia, League of Six with the Loyal Retinue expansion, and Dream Home with the Construction Plans and Friends and Family modules from 156 Sunny Street.

Soldato
It's brutal. :)

Edit: At our late night after work gaming sessions a while back everyone thought they could win most of the time after a few games of it. So I loaded the 6 cards in the deck and shuffled them instead of splitting the deck into piles and adding the cards that way.

We lost.

iirc 2 epidemic cards after each other.

Shuffling rather than spacing is just asking for trouble :)

Soldato
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent 2 player (can be more but can still effectively operate with 2) cars game I can pick up for my wife as a Xmas gift?

We had a variety of games but thinking something that she may specifically like.

Soldato
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent 2 player (can be more but can still effectively operate with 2) cars game I can pick up for my wife as a Xmas gift?

We had a variety of games but thinking something that she may specifically like.

Oof, tricky. I'd suggest Thunder Alley but it may be too heavy, and I'm not going to recommend Formula De to anyone (plus it's lame with two). Downforce, maybe?

Soldato
With 2 or 3 its not very good, 4 is the minumum really. Played with 9 last weekend and it was a blast.
The problem is that if someone has a good lead, its very hard to catch up and nigh on impossible if playing 2 or more laps.
Found the only way to really do it was to try and damage the other cars so much that it would knock them out.

This is just the basic game mind, not played any other tracks.

Associate
Recently I've been playing Minecraft & Skyrim Special Edition. Currently working on creating the Spencer Mansion from Resident Evil. It took me hours just to do the main hall. MC is the type of game I play only to relax. Skyrim is what I focus most of my attention on these days. I modded the hell outta it with 'realism' mods. I'm not kidding you when I say I play that game as if it were a simulation. I mean I walk almost everywhere(unless I have a horse). I also added a realistic mod which allows me to walk a little faster.

Soldato
^^^ Er, yeah, I was recommending car games. Good two player card games that expand to more are Valley of the Kings, 7 Wonders: Duel, and in card-driven games with a board there's Concordia (you'll want the Britannia or Corsica map from an expansion) and at the super-meaty end Twilight Struggle.

Formula D is one of our favourite games at the moment. Why don't you like it?

It lasts way too long for a push-your-luck game.

Last night I got a second play of Tadmor, which is a nice little game hidden behind a superdry design. Also played The Bloody Inn for the first time - I think I need a second play to get the hang of it, but it's fun for now.

Soldato
Me and the wife have played Pandemic the last two nights since getting it for Christmas.

First night we lost, primarily because my shuffling was bad and we drew out hubs which caused outbreaks far too fast. Second time we won pretty handily in the end, made good use of the character abilities.

I found it a little easy the second time we got the deal right. I get the feeling that if you get a spread deal it should be pretty easy to win most times.

Supposed to be having a board game night tonight if it ends up happening probably have some more Pandemic, maybe Zombicide and eventually try Dracula’s Feast.

Back
Top Bottom