What have you done to your car today?

Oh dear. Call myself a mechanic. :(
Made an utter arse of my diagnosis on the disco it would seem with it's steering issues
So I've;
Flushed and changed the power steering fluid £15... it made no difference
I then changed the P/S pump as it was the cheaper option over the steering box... £85 for the P/S Pump.... that didn't fix it.
Consigned myself to doing the Steering box... £270 quid (including a surcharge for the old unit) and a Sunny Saturday afternoon, evening and half the night changing..
Noted that the steering was on the **** on the test drive Sunday so set about moving the steering knuckles on the steering column round a few notches during my lunch break at work today, it turned out easier to remove it completely and re align it but in doing so I noticed I couldn't get the lower knuckle universal joint to line up properly with the new steering box, so I took it all back out to check for a master spline..
As I was wiggling the U/J in my hand, my heart sank... Half the U/J is seized solid... That was the problem all along. :o

DERPY DERP DERP, having the **** ripped out of me at work now. :o

Lol, expensive mistake to make :p

FWIW, if your 325 gets stiff steering then it'll be the same thing, exhaust mani bakes the **** out of the grease. If the steering locks solid while under heavy load and when you need it most, you will crash but hammer the panels out and ratchet strap the nearside engine mount and you'll be good for some more laps :D

It really isn't, my AC is broken since I folded the condenser in half, warm smoggy ambient air is no substitute. Should be getting a new condenser this week, the day can't come soon enough.

For the first time in 18 months the GTI failed me today. It wouldnt start and I got the Xmas tree dash and various random warning messages.

A jump start later I am off to the dealer for a new battery under warranty :(

Well I thought this evening was a nice enough evening to wrap my interior silver trim with 3M DI-NOC black brushed aluminium vinyl.

Door before:

1-before.jpg

Gear lever surround before:

2-before.jpg

Clock surround before:

3-before.jpg

Removed the trim from the doors (faff):

4-during.jpg

Half way through wrapping the door trim:

5-during.jpg

Finished wrapping the door trim:

6-after.jpg

Finished wrapping the clock surround:

7-after.jpg

Finished wrapping the gear lever surround:

7.5-after.jpg

All done!

8-finished.jpg

9-finished.jpg

10-finished.jpg

11-finished.jpg

12-finished.jpg

Previous interior pics for reference:

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

I really like how it's come out and I think it looks a bit smarter and more upmarket than the rather common silver!

That looks really good! Did you have any issues whilst wrapping (like around the clock where is has loads of different angles) and was it easy enough? Debating re-doing the carbon inside mine.

Looks nice Howard :)

I started fitting my Defi fuel pressure gauge. Got as far as fitting the sensor to my fuel pressure regulator and feeding the signal wire through to the cabin. Then the wife summoned me for dinner and that was all for the night :D

I have covered the carpets with rubber mats that smell quite strong in prep for tomorrow's road trip around Europe.

Mmmm rubber.

Edit*
That wrapping looks good :)

New passenger side mirror glass, did the primer bit of some touch ups to the door edges and bonnet, new coolant temperature sensors, and had the front two tyres balanced to get rid of the wobble through the steering wheel.

It has, but I can now feel that the back two need doing as well :/

excellent work on the wrapping howard! :) if it was me id try and do the ac and the stereo surround too

+ 1 on both counts. Mine comes tomorrow hopefully, so I can get rid of the 'orrible wood finish. Really hate it.

Back
Top Bottom