What have you done to your car today?

All that new front end on, was a right bear of a job pushing the bushes on the arms.

God damn clunking in the front is still there though! Got to be wheel bearing or top mount but the bearing doesn't whine and the mount feels tight. Any ideas guys, it's most pronounced when driving very slow like walking pace, and is a bit worse when braking gently. Can feel it through the pedals, irritating me now.

On the other hand, the Meyle/HD arms are a nice touch, steering feels more immediate for sure. Didn't do a very good job of setting the track rods, off to alignment tomorrow :)

Shoulda got m3 arms. No rubber in the ball joints

Aligned today, it's a bit duller but then it was rocking 1.5deg toe out, can't keep that though if I want the tyres to last more than 5 minutes . Front is very tight compared to the old stuff though. The most obvious is making adjustments mid corner when it's already heavily loaded, now it's sharp, before it was very sloppy.
Next up, rear ball joints.

What did you change it from? Mine will have the front done again when I get new tyres

Used to run 2.5deg and 0 toe, was great but eat tyres for breakfast. Adjusted camber out to 2deg, toe ended up at 17mins so left it there. It seems counter intuitive but apparently some toe in helps tyre life when combined with a little camber. Also it seemed ideal in that were I to tinker with the camber on a trackday or whatever then I would still have a sensible amount of toe out.
What happened is, the tyre life did increase, and the car gained a hint of understeer which made it that little less fraught on the road.

Fitting the new arms ended with nearly 1.5deg toe out. Aside from the steering wheel being offset you would never have guessed, it tracked straighter than ever and turned like crazy. I had the alignment set back to how it was before.

Anyway, I drove it down my favourite winding road last night and it has to be said the difference is amazing. The front end is so so well composed, the difference must be almost as profound as going from stock to coilover. I really had my doubts whether it would be worth the money doing this since everyone said the old hardware was fine anyway. It was though, and I can't wait to do the same to the rear now.

Downsides though, I'm sure that clunking noise has gotten louder and more annoying. I wish I knew what was causing it :/

Janesy, think I just got hypnotised by the pattern on your tyres!

I gave the BMW a wash this morning before the sun gets too bright. Going to be waxing it later when the GF returns with her brother's buffer.
It'll be so shiny!

Painting interior door handles. It's taken a week of spare time to get them sanded, filled, sanded, filled, primed, sanded, filled, primed.

First coats look good though!

Cleaned interior a bit...and decided I want to dismantle and refit my double din setup, its started to rattle annoyingly. Probably as it was such a rush to get it fitted, did it one evening and the light started to fade...

Also had new wheels fitted - Buddy Club P1s, so much lighter than the stock ones (about 4kg lighter than the OEM ones), with custom centre cap badges from DMB Graphics. Happy with the look, always liked the style of the wheels and the slightly lower offset (42 vs standard 55) helps the look of the car no end.

MfRso06.jpg

RCxLKfn.jpg

eiKqEXd.jpg

Then cleaned up the standard wheels to sell on...nice weather to do a job like this, leave them to dry whilst watching the BTCC race :)

RWdhmov.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom