What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Sold it - got £800 more than I paid for it so overall not too bad considering what I paid in repairs.

The buyer was probably the nicest guy I’ve ever dealt with, flew all the way from Puebla and is going to drive it the ~14hrs back with his family. He’s an Audi tech and said it was the best one he’d ever seen, but that’s not saying much considering the state of some cars around here. :p

Got a supercharged RRS for the weekend, not sure if I’ll buy it but currently having a lot of fun being a hooligan with it. :D

A4_CED604-_B5_F0-417_D-8_F5_E-37_ACE8_E113_E7.jpg

Soldato
Replaced my split intercooler hose earlier with a nice new silicone one. Haven't driven the car yet but I'm sure all is good.

Pre-remap I was getting fuel economy of around 40-42mpg and after remap it dropped to about 35-36mpg over 200 miles which wasn't good. How much is a 1.5 inch split in one of the turbo hoses likely to actually affect fuel economy? I'm guessing it would have quite a negative effect since the turbo would be having to work harder to maintain boost (or not maintain it, in the case of my P0299 fault code before I bodged then changed the hose) but I'll have to wait until Monday to do a longer drive to really put it to the test.

They claim improved economy after a remap and while I wasn't expecting it to go up by any noticeable amount, I wasn't expecting it to drop substantially even with grandad driving on 200 miles of motorway driving. If I was nailing it around everywhere then sure but I was genuinely driving like an old man.

Also checked the battery out since it was mysteriously drained for seemingly no reason on Wednesday. Hadn't driven the car for 4 and a half days and the thing was totally dead, as in so dead that the stereo couldn't even manage to display the date and time. I fully charged the battery overnight Thursday until it was done on Friday morning and the car hasn't been driven since but with a multimeter is still showing 12.75v so that seems good so far. I just can't figure out what flattened the battery in 4.5 days.

All I can think of is that I accidentally opened the boot (has happened before) which kept the interior light or maybe just the boot light on and so stopped the car auto locking and going into power save mode. The only reason I think that is because I'm fairly confident that my folding wing mirrors didn't unfold on that day, ie. they were already unfolded, which would make sense because if the stereo couldn't even manage to display date/time there's no way the electric mirrors would be able to unfold.

Last edited:
Soldato
Battery going flat after nearly a week, would not be that unusual for any car, not sure why you bothered having it remapped, if you you are that worried about 5 mpg....

Soldato
Wouldn’t say I’m overly bothered about losing 5mpg, rather just that other people who have had the same car remapped have not seen a dramatic drop in their mpg afterwards so it was a clear indication that something was wrong.

Soldato
New shocks, springs, & top mounts front and rear, and new drop links on the rear (fronts are already new) on the E30 today. :)

Much needed!

krOT3q3.jpg

gxkrWoM.jpg

OkC899b.jpg

CsKFxQx.jpg

Took from 10AM to 9PM almost non stop. :p
Why did it take so long? I changed the front shocks, springs and top mounts on my MPS Friday evening. Took just under 3 hours.

Soldato
4 hours front and rear shocks, springs and mounts on my 850. Why did it take so long indeed? Also, whats with the buckets?! Oh, and for 'new' struts they look very rusty?

Man of Honour
Did some stuff.

Vacuumed everything:

20180715_102813.jpg

EVERYTHING:

20180715_104002.jpg

Treated the parcel shelf to some UV protection

20180715_084752.gif

For the second time now I managed to lose my locking wheel nut key and needed the front wheels off ASAP, so had to get my guy to brute force the old ones off. £30 for a pair of nuts and a key...

rps20180715_102257_055.jpg

Felt lined the backside of the seatbelt buckle. It appears to have scuffed my centre console trim :/

rps20180715_102228_679.jpg

Used some Back To Black on it to restore most of the blackness, still annoying though, might need to apply some colourant or something.

Will wash it Friday night, ready for the Beaulieu stand on Sunday :cool:

Permabanned
Well Washed Zee yesterday and drove to Wales and back for Fish and chips. Nice 7 hour drive nothing broke or exploded. Stoptech are great :]
20180714_173334.jpg

20180714_180958.jpg

fish.jpg

Ye best fish and chips I'w had in years :D

20180714_211825_HDR.jpg

One in restaurant other on beach while watching Sunset packed my shiet and set off home for nice empty road drive :]

Last edited:
Soldato
Poorboys smells of god and win. When it's running low you can dilute it with water too Great stuff as a general interior cleaner.

it is! I use it as an interior cleaner and also use it on my softtop too freshen it up a little.

@mrk got any before and after pics of that interior trim after using the natural look? Just curious as to how matt it actually is.

it literally depends on how thick the layer you put on is.. if you put it thicker then it is satin like finish but go thin and it'll be matt.

Caporegime
4 hours front and rear shocks, springs and mounts on my 850. Why did it take so long indeed? Also, whats with the buckets?! Oh, and for 'new' struts they look very rusty?

They are drop in since the outer strut is an integral part of the hub. It also depends on the car. Rusty drop link nuts etc can take ages. It also depends what you are doing. I took my subframe off to unseize an alignment bolt. 4 hours tops. Turned into a three week refurbish, paint everything and zinc plate all my bolts.

Permabanned
They are drop in since the outer strut is an integral part of the hub. It also depends on the car. Rusty drop link nuts etc can take ages. It also depends what you are doing. I took my subframe off to unseize an alignment bolt. 4 hours tops. Turned into a three week refurbish, paint everything and zinc plate all my bolts.
Tell me about it rusted shock rear bolts from chasis Snapped off when I was changing my setup extra 1 hour job to drill leftovers out and put new bolts on !!!

Back
Top Bottom