What have you done to your car today?

[TW]Fox;24469856 said:
Comparing my girlfriends iPhone5 to my HTC One makes me struggle to understand why anyone still buys the iPhone. Small screen, a user interface fresh from 2007, etc etc..

Because once you get past the fact Android is all fancy and "customisable" it's really not as fast, intuitive or stable as iOS :p

I don't miss the size, lack of build quality and general shoddiness of the Galaxy Nexus that my IP5 replaced.

[TW]Fox;24471429 said:
Don't make the mistake of thinking all Android devices are the same.

They aren't. That's half the problem, you've got so many different "value added" (hah, yeah, "value") pre-installed POS software packages, different launchers and lockscreens, and different skins to the OS that even if you feel at home on one Android device, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get on with ANY other device, at all.

At least iOS, whilst being dated (well, iOS 7 is nice, but I've gone back to 6.1.4 until 7 is stable), is consistent.

There are certainly parts of my HTC One X that I'd prefer (such as the camera), but size of the screen, and size of the device certainly aren't part of it. Modern flagship android devices are just too big.

Anyway, back to cars, I've got my black grill, boot lip spoiler and xenons to fit this month. Not looking forward to taking the front bumper off!

Seeing as this is now a phone discussion, when is the Note3 finally going to come out? Mrk you follow phones.....you must know

Yesterday a friend and I,

Removed the whole interior
Removed the whole exhaust system
Fitted an new exhaust system and accidentally a manifold stud
Removed a steering wheel
Fitted a steering wheel
Fitted some bucket seats and low subframes
Smoked out the street due to new heat wrap on manifold.

I still need to:
Fit new rear beam (do you know what it is yet?)
Fit pollycarb windows all round bar front
Fit timing belt, tensioners and waterpump
Remove power steering
Fit oil cooler
Fit rollcage
Remove heater matrix
Refit dash
Ebay/scrap anything that has been removed

It's a 106 gti a friend and myself got for peanuts and are turning it into a trackday car with the idea of doing some hill climbs/sprints in, bar the cage the car owes us less that a grand between us and was what I decided to spend the money I have saved since quitting smoking... How long it stays fairly cheap who knows but it's been fun playing with it so far!

Fitted my newly powder coated and polybushed rear axle, along with Spax suspensions :)

20130617_201505_zps06f4d3da.jpg

That suspension looks mad, do all cars have suspension at the rear like this now? The spring looks like it's about to fall out of there... What are the benefits of a setup like this over a normal spring and shocker set-up? Lack of room?

Yesterday a friend and I,
It's a 106 gti a friend and myself got for peanuts and are turning it into a trackday car with the idea of doing some hill climbs/sprints in, bar the cage the car owes us less that a grand between us and was what I decided to spend the money I have saved since quitting smoking... How long it stays fairly cheap who knows but it's been fun playing with it so far!

Get some pics up! :D

Last edited:
I will get some pics up when I get home :)

The spec when we bought it was:

15 inch TD 1.2 wheels
Bilstien group n dampers and uprated springs of some description
Group n engine and gearbox mounts
406 283mm Brembo front brakes
Poweflex wishbone bushes
Solid rear beam bushes
A rear beam with so much play in one wheel I was surprised it has not collapsed on itself.

The shell does not have a single piece of rust anywhere which I was very surprised about and one of the main reasons we bought the car...

Last edited:
I will get some pics up when I get home :)

The spec when we bought it was:

15 inch TD 1.2 wheels
Bilstien group n dampers and uprated springs of some description
Group n engine and gearbox mounts
406 283mm Brembo front brakes
Poweflex wishbone bushes
Solid rear beam bushes
A rear beam with so much play in one wheel I was surprised it has not collapsed on itself.

The shell does not have a single piece of rust anywhere which I was very surprised about and one of the main reasons we bought the car...

No rust! Very good base to start putting cages in then! :D

I'm tempted to turn my Starlet GT into a full on track car, but it's my daily :( Doesn't stop me being awake into the wee hours looking at aerodynamic theory though...

Last edited:
No rust! Very good base to start putting cages in then! :D

I'm tempted to turn my Start GT into a full on track car, but it's my daily :( Doesn't stop me being awake into the wee hours looking at aerodynamic theory though...

Yeah I was rather surprised at the lack of rust, the cage is without a doubt going to be the single biggest expense but even then it's not too bad as we know a very good welder who is going to weld in our cage once all the glass is out for a few drinks. I ran the car around the block last night, I can't imagine driving it as a daily so loud without sound deadening!

Replaced my cracked fan shroud yesterday evening.

New rear tyres this weekend. Moving from CS3 to F1A2 despite being perfectly happy with everything about the CS3.

Would you mind doing a comparison once you've got a few miles on the new rubber? I've got CS3 on my 530i right now and while still have loads left in them I'd like to know if it's worth changing when the time comes.

That suspension looks mad, do all cars have suspension at the rear like this now? The spring looks like it's about to fall out of there... What are the benefits of a setup like this over a normal spring and shocker set-up? Lack of room?

It's a '95 Astra, nothing special. It's well in there though, lowering springs so not as tight as a standard spring would be. No idea though to be honest!

Sorry for the poor "before" pic, didn't realise it was the only one I had which I had to crop the hell out.

Previous owner of my car had a small knock on the front with a couple of small dents. In fact there are lots of scratches on the car but as a first motor i'm not really complaining. Haven't added any myself yet! Majority are polishing out so far.

Most obvious one near the light but the other near the wheel was a slight curve in. Took out the lining and managed to pop that one out. The bigger one had to remove the light and tap through with a hammer and some wood. Knew it would leave a crease but think it looks miles better now:

Due to the knock the passenger door used to just catch the front wing and make a creak/crack sound when opening. Gladly after knocking the dents out this has stopped!

Also wired in the aux cable for my headunit and routed it round to the bottom and out by the ashtray

Just the right length to reach to my phone holder:

Finished up by polishing some more scratches out and cleaning the black trim to give it some colour back

Back
Top Bottom